Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 44

+ Log in or register to post
Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Spot on!

As Rob adventured a lot in my original castle, I in his, and we also co-DMed groups, we knew each others style, and what the castle should "feel" like, what the mysterious areas were all about, etc.

Working without him means I have to a great deal additional explanatory material for the growing list of special encounters I have on hand, expend a lot of rime communication with another writer or team of same, carefully content edit each piece of the project.

SOme semi-retirement

Cheers,
    Gary
    Retirement is overrated isn't it? Wasn't Faust one retirement from damnation and hell? (or at least being satisfied) Onward!

Blue

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Treebore
    Gary,

I'm retired too. If we didn't have these "projects" we'd go insane with boredom! Well, horseback riding is good too.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Treebore
    On the topic of "unexpected ways your creation of D&D has effected the world".

There is a certain Army (US) trainer of a certain type of Military Intelligence personnel, who is an avid gamer. She was told to come up with a way to effectively train personnel to deal with a variety of situations in the field. Guess what she used as her "model" for working up the roleplays and determining success? She's getting some nice accolades for coming up with it, too. Its been in use for over 3 years now.

Reports of noticeably better results in the field as well.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Novice (Lvl 1)

° Ignore tx7321
    Gary, long time reader, first time poster.

I can't help but get depressed over this news about Rob leaving (why I'm posting). C&C has been a God-send to us "old schoolers" now with Rob gone, it'll be that much more difficult.
    Oh well, take heart...it may still work out for the best.

I noticed your liking of old school artists from the 1E era: "That is all up to the Trolls, but I for one much prefer artwork more along the lines of that done by Trampier, Elmore, and Easley. Sadly, Tramp is no longer doing illustrations." I share your love of these artists and the newer artists as well.

Have you taken a look at the latest version of OSRIC.03, its cover reminds me of the late 70s, though more impressionistic. I see you as the guy with his fingers in the treasure chest ready to split . Here is the link: http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/
    Last edited by tx7321; Monday, 7th August, 2006 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    After much thought I simply accepted Rob's initial resignation from [...] the expanded DMing anecdote collection as there is no common ground from which to work.
    Oh! This is sad news indeed!

Are there plans to go ahead with publishing your own anecdotes, or should I start acquiring the issues of Dragon with them that I missed?

Horseman's vs Footman's

Greetings again Col.

Anyway, I have a question about weapon esoterica that has been bugging me, and hopefully I can draw on your historical expertise.

The question has to do specifically with Horseman's weapons vs Footman's weapons (maces, flails, etc).

Now, my understanding has been that Horseman's weapons were typically smaller/lighter than the footman's weapon of the type, the reasons being that generally only one hand was free (the other hand gripping the reins/shield/etc.) and greater control was necessary in order to avoid cracking one's mount on the head.

This seems to be corroborated by your damage listings for the weapons in 1st Ed. D&D

I recently read (can't remember where) that horseman's weapons needed to be longer, that a greater reach was required since they were striking from atop horseback. Although I don't remember the site, I remember it being reputable.

And both positions sound reasonable, which creates a bit of a tension in terms of developing weapons useful for attacking from horseback.

Any light you can shed on this? Would certainly be appreciated.
    "My heart it ceases...my breath undrawn...
    My eyes forever focused..."

Gary: Here is some of the wisdom I have garnered over the years:

If you love the work you do it is much like play, not work, so you can enjoy so much more of your life that way.
    Gaming is likely the second best thing in life. If you don't know what the first is, I ain't a'gonna tell you.
    Don't play with bumble bees.
    A deal isn't done until the check has cleared the bank.
    The bit of writing you like best in a work you are doing is likely the part that should be tossed out.
    Cash is always better than credit, save when it comes to creative credit. In that case get both!
    Be careful if asked for advice, as it's likely the one asking won't want to hear what you have to say. Besides, likely your advice isn't all that good anyway.

E Gary Gygax 1938 - 2008

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore BluSponge
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy
    Someday I wish somebody would bring back Epic of Aerth. That product is the only one you can't get a PDF of from Paizo (Mythus and Mythus Magick are available for $4.00 each), and it's a great setting, with minimal game rules involved in the work and a lot of hints regarding creatures and it would make for a great setting for just about any game--LA, any edition of D&D, etc.
    No kidding, John. I would loved to have seen where that world would have gone. I have a love hate relationship with that setting. Love in that it calls to me to play around with every few months. Hate because everytime I read it I can't believe the derth of real plot hooks in it. There must be something to it, though, else I wouldn't have an almost viceral urge to use it as the basis of a campaign. About 2-3 suppliments would have cured that problem completely!

When my friend decided to run the Necropolis adventure in Greyhawk as opposed to using Aerth, I was quite disapoointed.

Tom
    Last edited by BluSponge; Monday, 7th August, 2006 at 05:42 AM.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    On the topic of "unexpected ways your creation of D&D has effected the world".

There is a certain Army (US) trainer of a certain type of Military Intelligence personnel, who is an avid gamer. She was told to come up with a way to effectively train personnel to deal with a variety of situations in the field. Guess what she used as her "model" for working up the roleplays and determining success? She's getting some nice accolades for coming up with it, too. Its been in use for over 3 years now.

Reports of noticeably better results in the field as well.
    I am flagging this URL for my son Luke who is an iffucer in the military.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy tx7321,

Have no fear. The castle & dungeons project will go forward. the 24 detail modules of 64 pages fot the Town of Yggsburgh and environs are nearly completed now, so in a short time I can turn my attention to rounding up another team of dungeon developers

Now I need to get on with my busy schedule...some "semi=retirement"

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by RFisher
    Oh! This is sad news indeed!

Are there plans to go ahead with publishing your own anecdotes, or should I start acquiring the issues of Dragon with them that I missed?
    That is a back burner project, but I have my columns set for a book ms. and will add new and older material as time permits. It will be a pretty slim volume, though, as I had asked rob to write sufficient anecdotes so as to have his work constitute about half the book.

If you don't moind waiting, the work will eventually see print...

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast