Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 47

+ Log in or register to post
Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    tee hee!

thanks gary, and everyone else!
    :\

And not one groaning post regarding my clever pun on that:

"At least it doesn't grow south on you."

Maybe if I explain: Grow for go, south being a loss or bad, and moss being found on the north side of the tree trunk...

Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore ghul
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh

Maybe if I explain: Grow for go, south being a loss or bad, and moss being found on the north side of the tree trunk...

Gary
    At the root of it all, I lichen this to acorny form of punnery.

--Ghul

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    To quote Bill the Cat: "Ack! Thbbbt!"

Mordenkanen progression?

Hello Mr. Gygax,

My name is Andy, and this is my first time posting to one of your threads, so pardon if this has been asked before, there are too many threads to read through to find one answer, so I figured I'd just ask here.

What level had Mordenkanen made it to before you decided to retire him, or he met his *gulp* untimely demise? *gulp*

Again, my apologies if you have answered this question before and if I spelled His name wrong, I don't have the spelling right in front of me.

Thanks Mr. Gygax!
    Andy
    Last edited by zypherillius; Tuesday, 8th August, 2006 at 04:13 PM.

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh

Gary
    no, i got it... i just groaned silently.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Rakin
    Gary,

Sorry for posting another question so quickly. Please don't take this as an attack, and I agree on your ideas that gaming isn't an "art" it's a game. But I can't help but notice that you also write novels in the same like settings as you would play your games in and to most writing, espeically novels, is considered art. How do you keep the 2 seperate? From maybe getting ideas for a novel in your head as you play? Or watching the gaming unfold in front of you like a fantasy novel and not go over the top and keep the game down to earth?
    Brisbane Gaming - All about gaming forums

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakin
    Hey Gary,
    As someone that constantly feels that's more rewarding to flesh things out and figure things out myself, I rarley use or seek out tools to help my gaming, such as magazines, modules, premade maps and the such. I pretty much game only using the corebooks, a pencil, paper, character sheets, graph paper, and any notes I've written myself. I guess what my question is if I'm missing much? Or better yet what makes tabletop gaming fun for you or what makes it successful in your eyes? Is it the people you play with? Is it the story offered up by the GM? Is it the fights? Is it when something unpredictable happens? Is it when someone does something out of the ordinary to solve a puzzle? Or is it when others make you laugh ingame? Or something else. I know for most people they probably going to take the easy way out and say all of they above, doiy! But I was wondering if there was one certian thing that draws you to gaming.

I just want to make sure that my players are getting all that I can offer and that my obsession of that feeling I get when people usse something I create isn't getting in the way of my players having the best time they can. Thanks.

EDIT: Edited to offer up this question to anyone else reading in

I felt like you the first few years I played (DMed). Then it came up that my games were somewhat predictable. It probably helped that we had been playing my campaigns for a couple of years at that point, but my style was predictable. They convinced me they were right so I started using Dungeon adventures. I found that I liked adapting the adventures and ideas into my own campaign and the infusion of fresh, great ideas also helped motivated me to "do better". Plus I became far less "predicatble". Plus having the cool maps and many NPC's pre-gen'd for me were very nice bonuses.

So I say you are missing out on a lot. A ton of a lot. Such as Gary's Yggsburgh book. It may be made for C&C, but it still has a lot of classic Gary Fluff goodness for any setting. With lots more to come.

If you want recommendations start with Dungeon magazine, then check out the stuff put out by Necromancer (via Kenzer and White Wolf), Goodman Games, and Green Ronin. Then there are lots of others to try out form there.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Rakin
    Hmm good advice.

I'm not too sure I have too much of a problem with predictability (I'd have to ask my players). I seem to stump them from time to time and try very hard to come up with twists to my adverntures.

But I do believe in your advice that at times my ideas can become stale. I guess my biggest fear is to get a certian play style stuck into my head, or reading something kind of subpar and get that stuck in my head and not being able to think of something better. Hmm, I guess what I'm trying to say is that instead of reading a lot of different things and trying to do as good or better than the "best" I hope to surpass it by accident, since I'm not setting any kind of bar, I'm not limiting myself.

Bah! Does any of that make sense? (Haha, and I doubt that I could really surpass any "professional" writer, maybe it's more of the idea that I might be keeps me kickin. )
    Brisbane Gaming - All about gaming forums

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ghul
    At the root of it all, I lichen this to acorny form of punnery.

--Ghul
    I'll go out on a limb and quip that if it didn't bole you over at least it made you bark up, plant a few punning attempts of your own. I won't go on for fear that I'll use some old chestnuts.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog
    To quote Bill the Cat: "Ack! Thbbbt!"

A most satisfying reaction, thank you very much

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast