Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 48




+ Log in or register to post
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 519
  1. #471
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by zypherillius
    Hello Mr. Gygax,

    My name is Andy, and this is my first time posting to one of your threads, so pardon if this has been asked before, there are too many threads to read through to find one answer, so I figured I'd just ask here.

    What level had Mordenkanen made it to before you decided to retire him, or he met his *gulp* untimely demise? *gulp*

    Again, my apologies if you have answered this question before and if I spelled His name wrong, I don't have the spelling right in front of me.

    Thanks Mr. Gygax!
    Andy


    Hi Andy,

    He is alive and well, and as I still occasionally play Mordenkainen, as usual I will decline to answer questions about his stats and level. I will say he is over 20th level and has some great magic items, though. bigby is still two levels lower than Mordenkainen, BTW.

    Cheers,
    Gary

 

  • #472
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    no, i got it... i just groaned silently.
    Public groaning is so much more satisfying that I stoop to troll for it...

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #473
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakin
    Gary,

    Sorry for posting another question so quickly. Please don't take this as an attack, and I agree on your ideas that gaming isn't an "art" it's a game. But I can't help but notice that you also write novels in the same like settings as you would play your games in and to most writing, espeically novels, is considered art. How do you keep the 2 seperate? From maybe getting ideas for a novel in your head as you play? Or watching the gaming unfold in front of you like a fantasy novel and not go over the top and keep the game down to earth?
    Howdy Pilgrim,

    Allow me to respond in this manner:

    Writing fiction and game mastering are not at all similar. In the former the author relates a story from beginning to end, and the reader is a spectator to events given in the work.

    Game mastering requires a setting and an initial plot line, players to take the roles of the protagonists, NPCs and monsters to be the adversaries. From that beginning the players direct the action, create new plots, alter the setting by their actions, give the basis for an ex post facto story.

    The sort of fiction I write is more of a craft than an art. Shakespeare wrote artfully, and I believe that Jack Vance does so in his genre, imaginative fiction

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #474
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Rakin,

    I missed your post that Treebore responded to as quoted below.

    While I agree with what he states, I must add that in my case I thought that I could provide better adventure material by doing it all myself. After a while I realized that such an assumption was short sighted and ill considered. There are many other creative minds that produce excellent adventure material. While one must separate the gold from the dross, so what? It is easier, less demanding on the GM, and gives the player group greater variety.

    Additionally, the GM can always personalize material to suit his taste and that of his his group.

    Cheers,
    Gary

    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    I felt like you the first few years I played (DMed). Then it came up that my games were somewhat predictable. It probably helped that we had been playing my campaigns for a couple of years at that point, but my style was predictable. They convinced me they were right so I started using Dungeon adventures. I found that I liked adapting the adventures and ideas into my own campaign and the infusion of fresh, great ideas also helped motivated me to "do better". Plus I became far less "predicatble". Plus having the cool maps and many NPC's pre-gen'd for me were very nice bonuses.

    So I say you are missing out on a lot. A ton of a lot. Such as Gary's Yggsburgh book. It may be made for C&C, but it still has a lot of classic Gary Fluff goodness for any setting. With lots more to come.

    If you want recommendations start with Dungeon magazine, then check out the stuff put out by Necromancer (via Kenzer and White Wolf), Goodman Games, and Green Ronin. Then there are lots of others to try out form there.

  • #475

    Thank you mr gygax :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    He is alive and well, and as I still occasionally play Mordenkainen, as usual I will decline to answer questions about his stats and level. I will say he is over 20th level and has some great magic items, though. bigby is still two levels lower than Mordenkainen, BTW.
    I had figured it had been asked before, I was just curious. Stats would take the fun out of it
    Bigby does have some fun spells, but Mordenkainen should always stay the higher level I believe, the spells in later editions that bear his name are much more wicked than some that bear Bigby's name, but they are both very impressive all the same.

    Thank you again Mr. Gygax and again I apologize for misspelling Mordenkainen's name.

  • #476
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by zypherillius
    I had figured it had been asked before, I was just curious. Stats would take the fun out of it
    Bigby does have some fun spells, but Mordenkainen should always stay the higher level I believe, the spells in later editions that bear his name are much more wicked than some that bear Bigby's name, but they are both very impressive all the same.

    Thank you again Mr. Gygax and again I apologize for misspelling Mordenkainen's name.
    Welcome!

    Gamer geek time for me

    Mordenkainen was adventuring in Rob's dungeon when he surprised a 3rd level magic-user of Evil persuation. Mordie's charm spell worked on that worthy, whose name turned out to be Bigby. By dint of fellowship, lecturing, mentoring, and sharing with Bigby, he was not only turned from CE to Neutral, but from there to a leaning towards CG as he considered his past actions.

    Ain't you glad you asked a different question so that I could relate that?

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #477
    Registered User
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    haakon1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kendall Keep, Bissel
    Posts
    2,560

    Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    that they are gained at 9th level was quite intentional. Of course later on spells of sometimes greater power were added, so name level for magic-users moved up from 9th, eh?
    To 11th . . . I was looking that up last night, even though I run 3.5e now . . . using level titles is still fun.

    Hmmm, how would you translate levels to medieval guild positions? Is it more like this:
    1st = apprentice
    3rd = journeyman
    5th = master
    7th = guildmaster of the town
    9th = grandmaster of the realm

    Or this:
    1st = apprentice
    5th = journeyman
    9th = master

    I guess I could check the field level titles, but intuitively, I've always "felt" something like that the first. One of my fellow DM's considered 5th level the turning point, because it's wear mages get Fireball!

  • #478
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Rakin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    93

    Ignore Rakin
    Thanks Col for both of your answers and how good they were.

    I do realise I need to just bite the bullet and use other material one way I do do this is through reading novels. The hardest part I find about using other's adventures is the memorization. In my own world where I control all but the players and since I'm already in love with what I've created I have most of it already thought out or can wing things wihtouth much reprocrusion (sp),

    On someone else's work I find myself getting nervous about not knowing enough and forgetting something that could make the rest of the module not make too much sense. Like for instance if a player asks a specific question of an NPC and the wrong answer could alter the rest of the module. Since my memory seems to lack more than others I find myself looking things up during roleplay Q&A, not very fun for anyone.

    I guess it's just seems easier to just use my own and not have to worry about screwin up.

    Anyway, you should get back to your answering your complex indepth questions about the million little aspect of every little RPG made and all thier characters and not worry about me Good day and thank you.
    Brisbane Gaming - All about gaming forums

  • #479
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1

    Hmmm, how would you translate levels to medieval guild positions?
    ...

    Or this:
    1st = apprentice
    5th = journeyman
    9th = master


    I vote for the "Or this" ranking with the following additions:
    2nd = seasoned apprentice
    3rd = skilled apprentice
    4th = senior apprentice

    6th = experienced journeyman
    7th = journeyman of merit
    8th = senior journeyman

    10th = senior master
    12th = grand master
    13th = guild master
    14th = past master


    Gary

  • #480
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakin
    Thanks Col for both of your answers and how good they were.

    I do realise I need to just bite the bullet and use other material one way I do do this is through reading novels. The hardest part I find about using other's adventures is the memorization. In my own world where I control all but the players and since I'm already in love with what I've created I have most of it already thought out or can wing things wihtouth much reprocrusion (sp),

    On someone else's work I find myself getting nervous about not knowing enough and forgetting something that could make the rest of the module not make too much sense. Like for instance if a player asks a specific question of an NPC and the wrong answer could alter the rest of the module. Since my memory seems to lack more than others I find myself looking things up during roleplay Q&A, not very fun for anyone.

    I guess it's just seems easier to just use my own and not have to worry about screwin up.

    Anyway, you should get back to your answering your complex indepth questions about the million little aspect of every little RPG made and all thier characters and not worry about me Good day and thank you.
    Worry?

    We don't need no stinkin' worry!

    Skim the material, ahve the map handy, and then, after reading the intro material, some aloud for the players, while remembering the more interesting parts, wing the rest of it. the material is your own when you are running it for your group

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 490
      Last Post: Sunday, 20th February, 2005, 04:02 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 01:24 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IV
      By Steverooo in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 266
      Last Post: Wednesday, 10th December, 2003, 06:35 PM
    5. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •