Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 49

+ Log in or register to post
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
    Gary, how many magic items did you normally see on a name level (for example) PC in your D&D games?

I thought to ask as I looked at some of the classic AD&D adventures. With the 1981 printing of "Against the Giants", the "Caution" note says PCs should come with 2 or 3 magic items. But the "Original Tournament Characters" at the end have between 5 and 11 magic items each.

So what would you expect for PCs of this level: 2-3? Half-a-dozen? 10 or more magic items?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta
    Gary, how many magic items did you normally see on a name level (for example) PC in your D&D games?

I thought to ask as I looked at some of the classic AD&D adventures. With the 1981 printing of "Against the Giants", the "Caution" note says PCs should come with 2 or 3 magic items. But the "Original Tournament Characters" at the end have between 5 and 11 magic items each.

So what would you expect for PCs of this level: 2-3? Half-a-dozen? 10 or more magic items?
    Who cares?

If the PCs are walking magic shope, the encounters get beefed up accordingly.

However...

Mordie has about six or seven he carries with him at all times, mainly things to up his AC and number of spells on tap.

Potions and scrolls count as only half or less of a normal, reusable item.

Cheers,
    Gary

Gary, thanks for the insight.

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Public groaning is so much more satisfying that I stoop to troll for it...

Cheers,
    Gary
    i'll keep that in mind... sometimes you need to feed the troll to keep it from attacking.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta
    Gary, thanks for the insight.

Welcome, and trust that you understood the opening of my response. The GM should not worry about limiting PCs' equippage of magical sort, merely manage it through "adjusted" encounters...

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    i'll keep that in mind... sometimes you need to feed the troll to keep it from attacking.
    Boz the Wise...

That will likely cut the punning short, as the punster will be satisfied that his mission of twisted humor has had its desired effect.

Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1

I vote for the "Or this" ranking with the following additions:
    2nd = seasoned apprentice
    3rd = skilled apprentice
    4th = senior apprentice

6th = experienced journeyman
    7th = journeyman of merit
    8th = senior journeyman

10th = senior master
    12th = grand master
    13th = guild master
    14th = past master

Gary
    Thanks a lot, Gary. It's to know how you think about it. "Past Master" is a good category.

In the way I run my game, people don't need a trainer after they make 5th level . . . I guess that's a way of saying "journeyman" or at least you're ready to solo completely/your training is now complete.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore SuStel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by BluSponge
    My only hope is that you guys really, really, REALLY scour the power listings. My biggest gripe about the system is that every game session I had to confront some vague point in the power descriptions. Every. Game. Session. And yes, it was a different spell every time. I know Gary likes his rules fast and loose, but c'mon!
    Grouse, whine, snivel!
    Now, look Gary, that's exactly what BluSponge is talking about. That's just too darn vague. Is that a new ability list, a command to do more, a complaint, or your verbal response? C'mon, you can do better!

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore

Welcome, and trust that you understood the opening of my response. The GM should not worry about limiting PCs' equippage of magical sort, merely manage it through "adjusted" encounters...

Cheers,
    Gary

No kidding!! I wish the current edition taught that instead of painstakingly measuring every gold piece of value and making sure it is in the "right range" for a given level of the party.

GAWD!!

Sorry! I'm still adjusting to regaining my DMing freedom now that I have "quit" 3E.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    ... I guess that's a way of saying "journeyman" or at least you're ready to solo completely/your training is now complete.
    Few persons are ever at their maximum potential. There is always benefit to further study, prectice, and actual experience

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast