Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 50

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by SuStel
    Now, look Gary, that's exactly what BluSponge is talking about. That's just too darn vague. Is that a new ability list, a command to do more, a complaint, or your verbal response? C'mon, you can do better!

It is an observation regarding all those persons that expect me to completely develop and detail something when it is usually a case of me purpously being vague for the benefit of the GM. After al, it is made clear by me that the GM is the final authority, no?

Of course I do sometimes leave out a bit of ctirical information in my haste...

Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    No kidding!! I wish the current edition taught that instead of painstakingly measuring every gold piece of value and making sure it is in the "right range" for a given level of the party.

GAWD!!

Sorry! I'm still adjusting to regaining my DMing freedom now that I have "quit" 3E.

Revel in the newly regained liberty, amigo! Play the way the game form was designed to be played

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore dead
    Hi Gary,

Will there be a map of your Greyhawk city in the new Saga of Old City release?

Thanks

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Few persons are ever at their maximum potential. There is always benefit to further study, prectice, and actual experience
    Nod. What I mean is, the journeyman no longer needs a trainer . . . he can train himself.

This is the stage where Yoda tells Luke his training is complete, or where Conan (in the movie) is freedom from the fighting pits. I figure that's around 5th level.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Goken100
    My communities:

Hi Gary. I was wondering if you'd care to comment on the shift in popular fantasy fiction from swords and sorcery (Vance, Howard, and Leiber) to epic or "high" fantasy (Jordan, Feist, and Eddings). In particular, how has this shift affected fantasy role playing? Are people more interested in creating epic settings and campaigns to adventure in, and less concerned with exploring dungeons and finding magic relics? How about in your role playing, has it shifted in like manner, or has it changed in other ways?

Thanks much! Its an... *rolls*... honor to talk with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Welcome!

Gamer geek time for me

Mordenkainen was adventuring in Rob's dungeon when he surprised a 3rd level magic-user of Evil persuation. Mordie's charm spell worked on that worthy, whose name turned out to be Bigby. By dint of fellowship, lecturing, mentoring, and sharing with Bigby, he was not only turned from CE to Neutral, but from there to a leaning towards CG as he considered his past actions.

Ain't you glad you asked a different question so that I could relate that?

Cheers,
    Gary
    I, fo rone, am glad the question came up again, COlonel The information about Bigby's change in alignment is new. You had said that he started out evil before but, as far as I know, the fact that he was Chaotic Evil is new. As is his leaning towards Chaotic Good. I just assumed that he was strongly neutral as I have gathered Mordenkainen is. Or does Bigby's master also lean towards the direction of weal?

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

Colonel,

The postings on level titles as they relate to guilds got me thinking. In many campaign worlds there are "Mage Guilds," which I assume are modelled on historical guilds (somehow ). I have never really warmed to the idea of a Mage Guild, and there are none in my own campaign world, as it seems to me any locale with one would soon be a magocracy (to use a term from the DMG). My reading of the character to most Magic-Users (and by extentional illusionists) from the DMG section on acquiring spells is that they are rather protective of sharing information and stand-offish when it comes to anyone but their own apprentices.

Anyway, my question is what say you on the matter? Does Oerth have its share of Mage Guilds and, if so, where are they. What keeps them in check from forming a hegemony wherever they come into power?

Gray Mouser

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    My communities:

Gary, when playing D&D, what alignment did your characters gravitate towards?

I have to admit that as a DM, I always ruled out evil PCs, and strongly encouraged good over neutrality. My players never really had a problem with it.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Gary, when playing D&D, what alignment did your characters gravitate towards?

I have to admit that as a DM, I always ruled out evil PCs, and strongly encouraged good over neutrality. My players never really had a problem with it.
    How D' Do Colonel

Most of my PCs were Neutral so that they could adventure with virtually any other alignment of PCs. There was a need for that, because alignments of the PCs I would join was all over the chart, chaotic to lawful, evil to good, with the neutral shades in the mix. I did have a few Chaotic Good ones, and one Chaotic Evil half-orc cleric/assassin that met an early end. The last PC I created for OAD&D was about five or six years years ago, one Snurre Sharpnose, a gnome illusionist/thief of chaotic neutral sort.

Cheers,
    Gary

Hey Gary, don't forget my question re: Mage Guilds, please!

Gray Mouser

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40414243444546474849505152 LastLast