"[Meta] How does a new player get started?"

Brogarn

First Post
I'm hoping this is the right place for this question, if not, feel free to point and laugh. I can take it! *sniff*

Seeing as how I can't find a local game to save my life (seriously. I have scars!), I'm looking to try out a pbp game but really have no clue as to how to start. I've been reading some of the games currently going on, but am a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to begin. I also haven't played in 12 years or more although I do own some of the 3.5 D&D books (*happily pours cheap whiskey on the grave of THAC0*).

So, how does a noob get into this gig without making him look more retarded than the time he wore a shot glass on a rope for a hat (tequila... it's always tequila...).

Thanks in advance!

Kafkonia

First Post
It's easy. Just wait until you see a game you think you'll like and that's recruiting (those threads usually have "recruiting" in their title) and apply.

Also keep an eye on the sticky thread at the very top of the page, it's a good log of who's looking for players at a given moment.

Ferrix

Explorer
I understand not being able to find a real life game, my schedule is busy enough that it's hard for me to fit a group in, no less taking the time to actually find one.

For PbP, as Kafkonia mentioned, take the time to check out threads which come up that are recruiting. Often times I recommend going with the more straight laced games which don't include a great deal of house rules at the beginning.

Also, check out LEW which is the Living Enworld established here. You can create a character following the rules in the Character Creation guide and plop him in the tavern and wait for an opportunity to come along.

Keep an eye out for the upcoming Living Eberron world as well.

You could also put up a post saying you are a player looking for a DM, you might get a bite and other players who are interested in starting a new game as well.

Brogarn

First Post
Wilphe said:
Take a look at Bother Around Beregost, which I started specifically as a "New to PbP game"

Started with 6 players, lost most of them when the forums crashed, now running around with 2.

Well, I might need some hand holding to get started, but it looks like a good start to me, if you don't mind an ignorant player. Unless I missed something, do you have a rules post and all that?

I'll start mulling over characters now. I have backgrounds written up for a Human Cleric, a Dwarven Wizard and err.. I think an Elven Rogue. They're at work though and I can't get back there until Monday. Can probably do some of it from memory before that if you're looking to get started.

Thanks for responding folks. I'm also looking forward to the Living Eberron stuff. I'm trying to wrap my head around Living EnWorld now. Going to buy the Eberron books this weekend. Wee! New D&D books!

EDIT : Nevermind, Wilphe, I'll head over to your thread. Got excited and ahead of myself. :eek:

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Brogarn said:
Well, I might need some hand holding to get started, but it looks like a good start to me, if you don't mind an ignorant player. Unless I missed something, do you have a rules post and all that?

I'll start mulling over characters now. I have backgrounds written up for a Human Cleric, a Dwarven Wizard and err.. I think an Elven Rogue. They're at work though and I can't get back there until Monday. Can probably do some of it from memory before that if you're looking to get started.

Thanks for responding folks. I'm also looking forward to the Living Eberron stuff. I'm trying to wrap my head around Living EnWorld now. Going to buy the Eberron books this weekend. Wee! New D&D books!

EDIT : Nevermind, Wilphe, I'll head over to your thread. Got excited and ahead of myself. :eek:

Eh, you'll be in good hands with Wilphe. He does a good job with us newbies. Should you decide to join that campaign, I'll be one of your party members. Hope you don't have a problem with slobbering half-orcs. ;)

Brogarn

First Post
industrygothica said:
Eh, you'll be in good hands with Wilphe. He does a good job with us newbies. Should you decide to join that campaign, I'll be one of your party members. Hope you don't have a problem with slobbering half-orcs. ;)

As long as you don't intentionally slobber in my direction, we'll be fine. :D

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Brogarn said:
I'm looking to try out a pbp game but really have no clue as to how to start. I've been reading some of the games currently going on, but am a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to begin. I also haven't played in 12 years or more although I do own some of the 3.5 D&D books (*happily pours cheap whiskey on the grave of THAC0*).

So, how does a noob get into this gig without making him look more retarded than the time he wore a shot glass on a rope for a hat (tequila... it's always tequila...).

Thanks in advance!
This might come in handy to you:
http://www.roleplayershome.net/forum/index.php/topic,1378.0.html

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases