PS3 600 dollars? Sony is on crack

reanjr

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
I wonder... what happens if Sony's Blu-Ray goes the way of the Sony Betamax and Sony UMD?

By the time we have an affirmative answer as to whether or not Blu-ray failed, fab costs will have dropped dramatically just due to the advancement of technology. I wouldn't expect this to cause a price hike for PS3 at any point, though it might cause a delay in a price drop (something many analysts suspect is the only way PS3 can compete).

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
reanjr said:
By the time we have an affirmative answer as to whether or not Blu-ray failed, fab costs will have dropped dramatically just due to the advancement of technology. I wouldn't expect this to cause a price hike for PS3 at any point, though it might cause a delay in a price drop (something many analysts suspect is the only way PS3 can compete).

Maybe. I don't know though. UMD died pretty fast.

drothgery

First Post
reanjr said:
I can only recall one instance of a console war not won by the first released.

Eh. There are lots, actually.

Anything pre-NES predates my memory, so...

The Sega Master System and NES came out and around the same time (I think the SMS was first), though the NES was much more widely available in the NES, and the Atari 7800 might be worth noting. That era was won decisively by the NES.

The TurboGrafX-16 and Sega Genesis were out well before the SNES. The SNES probably won that era in the end (though the Genesis definitely made a run).

The Saturn launched before the PlayStation (and the N64 was the last of that generation), though only by a few months (and the PlayStation had better availability).

The DreamCast was easily the first of its generation (and the Xbox was the last, though the GameCube and Xbox launched at about the same time in North America). This era was won handily by the PS2, with Sega leaving the hardware business in its wake.

And this generation the Xbox 360 launched first, the Wii will be the second (roughly a year after the 360), and the PS3 will be the last (a month or so after the Wii, if there are no further delays).

John Crichton

First Post
Arnwyn said:
That's still debatable, of course....

>snipped<

...The game list is also questionable, and maybe the best examples weren't chosen...
I'm looking forward to 2007, and near the end of that year will (finally!) be a good time to consider a 360.
Holy crap!

Your post saved me a ton of typing. I've thought this before but it's almost like I'm posting with a different username from time to time with your responses in this sub-forum. I completely agree with every single point in this post/response.

Okay, sorry for derailing for a bit but I wanted to post more than a QFT in this instance. :)

John Crichton

First Post
I just want to start by saying that your stated bias against Sony is really showing at this point. Me? I don't care who has the best games on their console as long as they are available for me to play. There is no need to hate, mang. It's all about the games.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Multiplatform release is a non-issue for this discussion. As long as there are sales on the 360, it is good for the 360. It doesn't matter if there are also sales on the PC, or the Commador 64. Yes, some of those will also be on the PS3, but you can get them on the 360 long before you can get them on the PS3, and that means a lot.
It matters a great bit. You cannot discount games that are not exclusive to a console. It makes all the difference and the only difference. The people who already own a console will buy games for it - bottom line. However, many people need a reason to own a console and exclusive games are that singular defining difference. So saying multiplatform release is a non-issue is a terrible arguement when we are essentially talking about the popularity of one system versus another.

Ashrem Bayle said:
The developers claim that Dead Rising, Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Mass Effect, & Splinter Cell will all be out this year. Are they sometimes wrong? Sure. But they all look very likely.
Arnwyn said:
Nonsense - that's quite a stretch. In any case, you understand incorrectly: at least Jade Empire 2 and KotOR 3 are unannounced.
Ashrem Bayle said:
Confirmed by developers in both cases.
Neither are confirmed at all, although I wish they were as both franchises deserve to be continued. Bottom line is that Bioware is fully concentrating on Mass Effect (woot!) so unless Obsidian is already developing one of them we won't have the pleasure for at least 3 years. :(
Arnwyn said:
No, those are just quick and easy examples. Simply look at all the PS1/PS2 franchises for more examples.
Ashrem Bayle said:
So when I mention 360 franchises, I hear "not announced yet", but I'm told to look at existing PS2 franchises to behold the glory of the future PS3?
You can see it that way, if you like. I can not speak for Arnwyn but the Xbox doesn't have the history of the Playstation in terms of established popular franchises. We can assume all we want that we will get a JE2& KotOR3, and I hope we do, they are not coming anytime soon or even in development as opposed to other franchises (Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc).

The point remains that Sony has more 3rd party games announced that are in development, especially from Japanese devs. MS has some awesome 3rd party titles as well, but in lower quantity - and I'm talking about the proven quality titles, not the chaff.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Not exactly. Release day means a lot (to stock holders), and if a console can't survive while hemorrhaging money, it won't last a "couple of years". Just ask Sega...
Stock holders don't matter and don't compare Sega to Sony. Sega just came off a dismall period of failures with their consoles and were already in the hole. Sony is nowhere close to being in that position.

Sony will have to seriously undersell to be a large concern to the money interests of the company. Their videogame division will still be pulling in money from the PSP & PS2. The PS2 has more games coming out this year that are appealing to me than the 360 (GoW2 & FFXII). And I'm not in the minority there. The point is that unless you are a FPS or maybe driving game fan there is no reason to get a 360. A system needs to suck in the entire gaming population if it wants to rule supreme. Quality game selection is lacking in the 360, which I believe will happen withe PS3 as well in their comparitive launch period. The one exception is that the PS3 will play all the PS1/2 games & HD movies (with the BR player) while the 360 has a considerably smaller selection if we are just talking about the first year of a console's life.

And, if the PS3 bombs, it bombs. That is bad news for gamers! Competition is vital to any industry, especially a huge one like the gaming industry.

John Crichton

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Exactly.
Another thing to consider is that some people bought the X-Box over the PS2 because it was the more powerful system, with fancier graphics. The PS3 will not have that advantage over the 360.
How do we know that? Have you played any of the games on the PS3? I haven't, so I have no clue either way. This is simply conjecture.

Ashrem Bayle said:
And? Just three? There is Assassin's Creed, but that is also coming to the 360. I guess you could say God of War will eventually show up. Resident Evil will also be on the PS3, as will GTA, but the 360 gets it first.
GTA4 will be released on both consoles at the same time. The announcement at the MS E3 press conference was false.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Really? Got any data to back that up? Last I heard, the 360 was selling just fine.
Nope, and neither do you. Link me some Q2 2006 stats.

MS needs to put out a non-FPS shooter to start getting new blood to buy the system. Their big gun right now is Prey (which is a non-exclusive) and will cater to people that already own a 360 because of it's heavy FPS lineup. The system needs a couple EXCLUSIVE action/adventure and/or RPG titles to move some units. That or Halo 3. :) I own a 360 but if I didn't I would certainly get one when that game or Mass Effect comes out. Those are system sellers.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Waiting? For what? I've been playing great games since I got my 360 on release day. Oblivion is the best RPG I've ever played. Period.. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is the best in the GR series so far. Fight Night and PGR3 are both amazing, and I've never even liked boxing or racing games. Prey is pretty mindblowing, and Burnout is fun for days, even if it is a original X-Box port. And that's not even considering the backwards compatible games, or the Live Arcade, which is pretty awesome by itself.
I loooove XBL. It's like crack from time to time. :)

Problem is that the gaming community that aren't into FPS-type games are not buying the 360. And the FPS folks are split between the PC & 360. Exclusivity is the name of the game. Why? Because 3rd party devs will put their games on systems that are in the most homes (which we already know).

John Crichton

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Maybe. I don't know though. UMD died pretty fast.
And was doomed to fail, especially at the prices they were charging. Sony needed to underprice DVDs which they didn't do. And the UMDs were only watchable on the PSP. They needed to make the movies playable on a TV with a cable to be worth it. I could get a new release for $12 and the UMD would cost me $20. Totally not worth it.

I chalk it up to another Sony try that simply was foolish. This one just happened in the video game division which had been relatively immune to the proprietary silliness that Sony does with all their products.

But seriously, did anyone think that UMD movies were going to be a big deal? Especially considering that you can rip a movie for free to a 1gb Memory Stick? Bad move.

drothgery

First Post
John Crichton said:
How do we know that? Have you played any of the games on the PS3? I haven't, so I have no clue either way. This is simply conjecture.

Okay, based on publicly announced specs, there's no indication that the PS3 has a significantly more capable CPU or GPU than the Xbox 360, and is arguably inferior on both counts.

When you looked at previous-generation specs, it was mind-bogglingly obvious to everyone that the Xbox was the most powerful machine, and the the GameCube and PS2 were about a wash (the Cube was easier to code for and had more memory, which offset the more theoretically powerful PS2 CPU/GPU). And multi-platform games reflected this almost without fail.

With the 360 and the PS3, the only real advantage Sony has is the Blu-Ray drive. And that just means more FMV without spanning discs, not any improvement in actual gameplay.

John Crichton said:
GTA4 will be released on both consoles at the same time. The announcement at the MS E3 press conference was false.

Isn't the launch of GTA4 supposed to be before the PS3 launch, which would mean it's on the 360 first by default?

KenM

Banned
Banned
drothgery said:
Isn't the launch of GTA4 supposed to be before the PS3 launch, which would mean it's on the 360 first by default?

The big GTA4 news from the Microsoft press conference was that it would be coming out on the Xbox 360 and the PS3 on the same day. Oct. 2007 sometime.

John Crichton

First Post
reanjr said:
I don't expect PS3 to do well for many more reasons than the price of the system.

1. Price of system
Says people without HD setups.

And don't discount the impact of HD TV sets getting seriously cheaper all the time. Gone are the days of the $5000 40' flat screen. Projectors & LCD screens are dropping in price all the time. And people want them. Sales have been on the rise for longer than most realize. Check out any TV section of any electronics store like Best Buy or Circuit City. Not having a widescreen HD capable TV will be the norm before we know it. HD programming is on the rise (but not in the majority) as we type.

reanjr said:
2. Price of games
Link me to the price of the PS3 launch title games. If it's $70+ for every game, I'll freak a bit (although I did pay at least that for Phantasy Star II back in the Genesis days when I was making less than that per week). If not, no big.

reanjr said:
3. No added value (almost no one cares about blu-ray) over competition - developers have stated that there is not that much of a noticable difference in power between PS3 and 360
For now. BR disc space & dev time can make a difference. DVD games better last the 360 for at least 4 more years. I will not be buying another MS console before 2010 (and I love new tech). The PS3 won't have that problem.

And don't discount that the PS2 was like a fine wine - it got better with age and when the good titles started they didn't stop (took about a year). More devs were able to produce games that looked and played better and better as they went along. The best example is God of War. I never thought the PS2 was able to produce in-game graphics like that.

reanjr said:
4. Me too - not a single innovative thing on this system has been announced
Except Blu-Ray and back catalogue of titles from the last 10 years.

reanjr said:
5. Momentum; 360's got it, especially with Halo 3 coming, and an expected price drop
You are calling a game coming out a year from now momentum? It will take more than one to kill the Playstation. The new Metal Gear & 2 Final Fantasy games trump Halo 3. MS needs another killer game.

reanjr said:
6. Few major exclusive franchises; the only non-Sony one that hasn't done much cross-platform in Square Enix, and it's looking like that won't be for long
Name a major franchise besides Rockstar that has jumped the Sony ship to cross-platform. And it also matters that GTA is cross-platform, which hurts Sony a bit and helps MS a bit but it's not a win for MS, like FF was for Sony. Console gamers will buy the version on the console they own or the one with the best graphics/controller/whatever if they own both.

reanjr said:
7. Laissez-faire online system is going to pale in comparison to Live's in terms of quality service
This matters. But until we see the PS3 system in action we have no idea what it will be like. We only have XBL for comparison. I expect MS to be stronger in this area for the next couple years because of sucessful experience with XBL but Sony will catch up. It's bound to happen. Then again, online play doesn't apply to all genres and it doesn't make or break a console's success. Not yet.

Remove ads