Telling others what to do

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Protector_corwin said:
It has come to my attention that there are those here telling people how they can have things dressed and look...I thought this way free form??

This is free form in that no one is required to play by any one gaming system, or by any gaming system at all. But people are required to play by the Code of Conduct and that includes abiding by the setting restrictions for each of the rooms. If another player tells you "you can't have wings showing in the CRT" then they're right, even if possibly rude in how they tell you.

If you're not willing to trust to other players' interpretations, ask here, ask a Magi in ISRP, ask a Magi through an EN World PM, or ask by sending e-mail to ISRPMagi@gmail.com

If you can tell us specifically what's in question, that would make it simpler to help determine if this was justified.

Stephanie

First Post
Hmmmm

I think maybe something he might be talking about is people saying about modernish style clothing ie denim, cotton, sneakers. I have had that problem with various characters because I have put in my dessy denim style pants and got the thrid degree from people saying "That isn't something that was in this era" and whatnot. In my opinion that is extremely rude and uncalled for. I can fully understand comments concerning the CoC but not era specific things. I have also had people misread my dessies and throw a fit at me when I would be in disguise in the tavern or such and someone didn't pay enough attention that I put in something like TRUE FORM: then DISGUISED FORM: underneath. Before you judge what a character looks like in a specific area look through the entire dessy so you know if a character who normally wouldn't be allowed in the CRT is diguised through like magical means or like say a drow has a cloak and such completely covering their form and the only way to know what they are is if they remove something or anything like that.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
If we could stamp out rudeness, I agree the world would be a much better place. I'm sorry people are acting like this. :p

Mis-reading descriptions:
Ask them to look again, and then don't bother explaining to them further, or just tell them to take it up with a Magi. But also re-read the description yourself and think about tightening it up. Sometimes you fiddle with a description and things get dropped, or become much less clear than they were before, or maybe it wasn't as clear as you thought it was in the first place.

"Modern" clothing in the fantasy rooms:
Bah. "Denim" is a cloth "de Nimes" from Nimes in France. "Jeans" are in the style of Genoa. Cotton was all over the Mediterranean countries. Twill-weave cotton fustian pants are perfectly fine late medieval wear, though, okay, not the five-pocket style with copper rivets and a designer label leather patch on the back. :p But to come down to it, what matters is "appropriate to the setting" when it breaks the setting for others. No pulling out your cell phone in the tavern even if your char admits there's no signal. As someone who does Rennfaire type stuff, I kinda wince at the number of thigh-high skirts and halter bikinis in the tavern: in a real medieval setting, you'd only see that much flesh inside a brothel. So if someone comments on that sort of thing in-char, that's reasonable and not harassing your char. But blue pants and laced low white shoes shouldn't be grounds for harassing you in PMs. (Of course, people may still validly assume you're being sloppy about taking chars from TMP to other rooms, or that you don't know enough to figure out what is medieval style clothing. They just shouldn't be rude to you about it.)

I have had someone that I have roleplayed with on here send me his logs of someone<names will not be mentioned> telling him that with him informing them that his cloak hood is pulled low over his face as to hide his race that he would not be able to see. Now from personal experience that I have had with the recreations of the english civil war I personally wear a cloak pulled low to hide who I am supposed to be in the recreation...and I can see easily....A cloak pulled low does not mean over the whole face just low enough to cast the shadow over his features as to detract attention. Personally I think that just with they way the other used this as a way to harass my friend is unreal. And secondly....why wouldn't a drow character have a cloak pulled low as to hide his face from the sun....

Magi_Siani

First Post
>>I have had someone that I have roleplayed with on here send me his logs of someone<names will not be mentioned> telling him that with him informing them that his cloak hood is pulled low over his face as to hide his race that he would not be able to see.<<
---
That sort of thing is simply one player's opinion vs another and should be treated as such...ignored or accepted as seems best. The Tavern Setting Rules and the CRT Setting Updates in ISRP Rules and Reference are the sources for the actual rules and their interpretations.

Drow, as a particular example, cannot be from Oerth itself but must be visitors from elsewhere, and they are allowed to be either hooded and hidden or not at thier choice while inside the Tavern itself. I did this as a nod to some excellently played characters.

People can PM you that hooves, tails, fangs, wings, claws and so on are not allowed, and they are correct. The same would go for any tech devices beyond simple clockwork or clearly modern accessories or dress. The shouldn't be rude, but some are anyway.

If you are in doubt about something someone tells you, ask a Magi, email a Magi, or go look directly at the rules themselves for which there are links posted when you enter a room and along the top of this page under Settings.

If it concerns the Tavern directly, then you can ask me directly...I'm the owner and the Setting Coordinator and also one of the ISRP Leads...I also wrote the CoC and Tavern Setting Rules. I'm happy to hear ideas, thoughts and complaints from people so don't hesistate to talk to me if there's a problem.

Magi Trelian gave an excellent example of handling things.

Siani

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases