Teachers suggest some reading material

Starman

Adventurer
I plan on going into education, probably high school, as soon as I finish my degree in a few years. Any educators out there know of some good books or articles on teaching/education theory that might be helpful?

Mycanid

First Post
The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis is one that comes to mind immediately.

Another very interesting one, although hard to follow, is Poetic Diction by Owen Barfield. VERY interesting stuff that shows what actually goes on inside the person as he grows and develops "tastes".

This second one is primarily focused on the English and Art department side of things. The first is more general.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Kozol is good for a variety of educational topics. He has a number of books.

Also, try out this site: edweek.org

Starman said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check some of these out.

What area, generally? My background's in English education, but I know of some more general things, too.

As someone mentioned, Kozol's good for some inspiration and agitation.

I'm an educational history person, so though there might be a hundred books I could recommend, I might just suggest one: "Education and Social Change" by John L. Rury. It's short--maybe too short, actually, if this is your first trip through the history of formal education in the US, but it should give you some signposts about where we've been.

Theodore (Ted) Sizer's "Horace" books, though a bit older now, are good for getting people to think about what's important in education.

I'd also encourage you to look into any one of the numerous books about standardized testing. Though this isn't "philosophy" per se, it's hard to understate the extent to which standardized testing affects K-12 education today. "Standardized Minds," the author of which I forget (Saks?), is considered pretty good.

These books are probably as much "policy" as "philosophy." If you want "real" philosophy, Dewey, though often mocked and caricatured, is pretty much essential to understanding twentieth-century education movements (and reactions to them). Many of the analytical philosophers, such as Aristotle, Plato, Kant, and Mill, have important things to say about education, whether directly, like Plato, or more generally. Though there are many holes, I feel, in her thinking, Nel Noddings and her idea of "caring" in education have been very influential in the last couple of decades.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases