Artificers -- Item Creation at time of character creation

Patlin

Explorer
Proposal/clarification on creating scroll for a level 1 artificer in Living Eberron.

I believe the following to be true, and would like confirmation:

1- You do not need to spend craft points to craft the scrolls out of your craft reserve during character generation.
2- You must roll dice to determine if you craft the items succesfully.
3- You get 2 and only 2 dice rolls per scroll, as a first level scroll takes 1 day to craft.

Here's where I see a problem:

My artificer has a UMD of +5, so to succeed on the roll he must roll a 16 ot higher on d20, a 20% shot each roll -- the probability of succeeding given two rolls would be 36%. It would on average be cheaper, therefore, to buy scrolls from a merchant rather than using the class's main ability. That's disheartening.

There's an infusion that gives a circumstance bonus on skill checks, but I believe the duration is too short to help. Even if it would work, the +2 bonus would only increase the odds of success to about 58% -- not great, though at least slightly better on average than just shopping.

It seems likely that the only way to make efficient use of the ability is to find a way to meet the prerequisite "honestly." In other words, find a way to get the spell cast into the item. I can think of two ways to do this:

1 - Cooperate with another caster, have him cast the spell, you spend the xp from your craft reserve.
2 - Use the spell storing item infusion to create a temporary wand of the spell you want, then use that to create the spell. This basically adds additional xp cost, which moreover cannot be paid through the craft reserve, and is therefore unavailable at time of item creation... the amount of additional xp and time is unknown, since the infusion also requires a die roll, but at least you don't throw away gold.

Option one seems the better option, but the question becomes whether we will allow it, and whether it will cost craft points. Can it be done with an NPC, or just with a PC?

Proposal
Starting artificer character can cooperate with NPCs to make 1st level scrolls. The NPC casts the spell, eliminating chance of spell failure, but the artificer must make one scroll of equal value and give it to the npc for each scroll he gets. The NPC provides the materials/gp cost for his share of the scrolls.

Game mechanic result: Artificer characters can make scrolls on character creation without chance of failure, but at double the xp cost from their craft reserve.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I would say if you want to hire an NPC, you pay for hiring them. In general, the price of 12.5 gold (the savings on a first level scroll) is utterly inadequate to justify hiring out the NPC for two days--they can sell a single first-level spell cast once taking 6 seconds for twice that.

Patlin

Explorer
OK... though the implication would be that every first level artificer is going to want to show up at the inn with a whole bunch of scroll materials and start looking for PC casters to do a deal with. As a low level wizard or cleric, I'd be more than happy to accept that bargain, not sure why an NPC wouldn't feel the same way.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
OK... though the implication would be that every first level artificer is going to want to show up at the inn with a whole bunch of scroll materials and start looking for PC casters to do a deal with. As a low level wizard or cleric, I'd be more than happy to accept that bargain, not sure why an NPC wouldn't feel the same way.
Because you can get PCs to do things for cheaper than the rules state are market price. Rinaldo sells things for less than full price in LEW, I bet once we see PC item creators they will sell some things for lower than 100% too. But the NPCs don't. That same NPC can receive 25 gold per casting of a 1st level spell, which takes 6 seconds. You are asking them to spend two days to receive 12.5 gold (because you make them bring the materials, so they could have just bought it at market price for 25).

You actually have a 25% chance of succeeding by the way, so your math is off. An Artificer who had more than 12 Charisma or Skill Focus(UMD) would have more. Also, once you hit level 2, you may have 5 ranks in Spellcraft, which gives a +2 synergy to UMD checks involving scrolls. Decipher Script is another +2. I think the chances are generally pretty fair.

Oh, and I would say that you do need to spend Craft Points to craft out of your current level's craft reserve on generation, but for higher-level characters, you get the previous levels' craft reserves for free. I don't know if someone else has said anything different somewhere else--probably. In other words, your character has effectively just hit your current level (hence no additional XP), so crafting with the current level's pool on creation is actually crafting just after creation, but the previous levels occurred before creation.

Bront

The man with the probe
If you can craft anything by taking a 10, you shouldn't need to roll. If you need to roll, you actualy need to roll.

Either way, you should need to spend craft points, just like you would for crafting weapons and armor before you start (which is just as likely if not more likely, and possable for anyone, even a non-magic item crafter).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
If you can craft anything by taking a 10, you shouldn't need to roll. If you need to roll, you actualy need to roll.

Either way, you should need to spend craft points, just like you would for crafting weapons and armor before you start (which is just as likely if not more likely, and possable for anyone, even a non-magic item crafter).
You need to roll, period, even if you can make it on a 2, unless you are a multiclassed Artificer/Warlock. UMD specifically says no taking 10 because a 1 is different than a normal failure.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
You need to roll, period, even if you can make it on a 2, unless you are a multiclassed Artificer/Warlock. UMD specifically says no taking 10 because a 1 is a disastrous autofailure.

Unless you've reached Artificer 13, or something like that. Similar ability to the warlock.

Edit: And 1 isn't necessarilly a failure, so if a 1 would succeed, you don't have to roll. Sorry to contradict you Rystil, but I think your misremembering the skill.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Ack! He has inhuman speed. Rystil, don't miss my edit. I look forward to your response. :)
Ah, that's true--looks like I either misread it originally or else houseruled it long enough that I thought that's how it read :lol: Still, taking 10 is never allowed, and the 1 is the reason why.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases