Rules for making magic items

TaofHeaven

First Post
does anyone know a good way to come up with the cost-spells used for more uncommon magic items. Im a relatively new DM and would appreciate any feedback.

Im looking for something along the lines of the price of an item like the following.

A ring that can copy itself infinately. The ring automatically take any damage dealt to the caster and transfers it to anyone wearing the copy. The copies must be doned willingly and in full understanding of the consequences of doing so.

etc... things that are a little more indefined. I dont know which spells would be used, or what the cost should be.

Fieari

Explorer
Sounds like an artifact to me...

If not, try Major Creation and Sadism (from BoVD), but even that won't prevent any damage to the person wearing the ring. You could add in effects from something that grants DR, but that won't help with energy damage, so add in energy resistance... it'll fix the limit of how much can be suppressed though.

Utilizing the Sadism, use an Ad Hoc cost reduction, since you aren't just preventing the damage flat out, you're redirecting it.

At any rate, I'm betting you'll find this ring WAY out of your price range, unless you're epic in level anyway, at which point I can't think why you'd need one...

Jack Simth

First Post
Artifact; Rings of Friend Shielding come closest to what you're doing (but those aren't exactly always on, nor one way....).

Too readily abused. You make an infinite number of copies, and hand them all out to your followers picked up via leadership.....

"Yes, my friend, you will be among my cadre of bodyguards, yet at the same time, you get to stay at home with your wife and children in the meanwhile...."

TaofHeaven

First Post
Its actually an Item the mage in my group commisioned to be made so that the other 3 fighters (my group had a thing for fighters) could absorb the damage for the mage... He's died a couple times cough cough.

TaofHeaven

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Artifact; Rings of Friend Shielding come closest to what you're doing (but those aren't exactly always on, nor one way....).

Too readily abused. You make an infinite number of copies, and hand them all out to your followers picked up via leadership.....

"Yes, my friend, you will be among my cadre of bodyguards, yet at the same time, you get to stay at home with your wife and children in the meanwhile...."

Good point, how could i redefine this to make it more aplicable and not too god like. Oh, ya, the groups lvl 15-17

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases