Into Khybers Gate

byronhicks

First Post
In response to the mysterious stranger, Johanel responds:

Hear! Hear! Why must everything be painted in such hues of black or white? Nothing is as simple as some would make it. Life is full of greys, subtle twilights, and bright mornings.

Johanel sits down and rolls up his sleeves. On both arms he has elaborate tattoos. He carefully selects some food, pours himself a glass of wine, and starts to eat. He takes a drink of wine and looks at it approvingly.

You have excellent taste in wine.. umm... What was your name again? And what is this job you would have us do?

IcyCool

First Post
SelcSilverhand said:
"You will have to be willing to trust me." He raises an eyebrow at Aidan. "So are you capable of that kind of blind trust?"

"You did not outright dismiss my services, so I am inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt. Simply know that I will not violate my vows to the church. As far as judging the hearts of others, if needs be, the Silver Flame can reveal your heart to me. But a man's heart can change, and it is his actions that I am most concerned with." Aidan looks at the curious warforged with a smile. "There will be time enough to answer your many questions. I plan to be in Sharn for quite some time."

SelcSilverhand said:
OOC
[SBLOCK]
Thanks Bront!

The adventure may involve some underhanded dealings. There will be opportunities to do good, but a paladin might have trouble depending on how interpret your personal code of conduct.
[/SBLOCK]

OOC[sblock]No problem. It is my understanding that the GM determines if there is a violation to the paladin's code. I can sit this one out if you'd prefer (hence the IC conversation giving the employer an out). This is the first paladin I've played, and I'm not a fan of the detect-and-smite or the domineering, do-what-I-say-or-be-slain type of paladin. I'm going to try my best to make sure this character doesn't become a fun-sucking void.[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]IcyCool is always fun to have along -- that's a player characteristic independent of character class IMO.[/sblock]

Knight Otu

First Post
"I'm sure they're speaking hypothetically, Anvuss, both on the zealot thing and the hurting innocents thing. But Sharn isn't exactly a place breeding innocense anyway, making yours much more refreshing. Savour it as long as you can keep it." Sedar takes a sip of wine.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Your host smiles briefly. "I can see that I have judged you too hastily. I have come across many people that are too stiff necked to see anything beyond the limited scope of their experience. I think we can come to an understanding. Hear my offer and if you feel that it compromises your beliefs then you can depart on friendly terms."

"My name is Ahkran. Crei Ahkran. I am a business man of small means. What my business is is none of yours. It pays for a man like me to hear things from time to time. Something I've heard recently concerns a substance called Dragons Blood. A person of ill repute has created an alchemical process to transmute the liquid blood into a solid state making it easier to bring into town. I am very interested in this process. I would like you to visit his store and obtain the secret. Should you succeed the rewards will be substantial. If you accept I will provide you with the details you'll need to find this person."

Know. Local DC15 or Craft(Alchemy) DC15
[SBLOCK]
Dragons blood is an illegal substance and the purchase or sale is prohibited in Sharn. You've heard that it affects sorcerers and the dragonmarked the strongest.
[/SBLOCK]

OOC:
[SBLOCK]
I've got no problems with paladins. Despite all the horror stories I've yet to run across a bad one. When I came up with this NPC I used some details from the Sharn book in his personality . His particular organization requires that you don't worship a deity to join, so I tried to work in a bit of scorn for organized religion in his speech. Nothing personal, I'd be glad to have you along.
[/SBLOCK]

Patlin

Explorer
"I have a great variety of projects I would like to undertake, all with expenses, so your offer of a substantial reward is pleasing. What level of reward is classified as substantial? And have you as yet determined whether the formula is for sale?"

byronhicks

First Post
Master Ahkran, you have peaked my interest. However, I share Anvuss' question: Will this be a purchase, or a theft? I have no problem either way, but I would like to know before getting involved. Also, this alchemical process interests me. I haven't studied alchemy, nor do I khow anything about "Dragon's blood." I assume that it's not real dragon's blood. There hasn't been a dragon sighted in Khorvaire for quite some time.

[SBLOCK=OOC]I was good, I didn't peek. I don't have Craft:Alchemy or Knowledge:Local. Will you let me make a general intelligence roll?[/SBLOCK]

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock=Roll]Knowledge (local) (1d20+6=18)[/sblock]
Sedar clutches his scarf as Ahkran relates the basics of their proposed job. I need to stop doing that. he thinks as he catches himself doing that. No one will ever see it.

"Dragons' blood, eh? Should be a challenge. No, we can't just go that person and ask for the recipe, which I'm sure has other applications than transmute that particular substance. I'm in."

Patlin

Explorer
byronhicks said:
Will this be a purchase, or a theft?

"Theft? As I understand that word, it would suggest we are taking something by an improper manner from the owner of the thing. Perhaps this is why you thought a Paladin wouldn't wish to participate? Does the nature of the task require criminal behavior to accomplish? As I understand it, criminal behavior here in Sharn can carry a variety of punishments, some quite severe and all likely to interfere with the completion of the projects I wish to engage in. It might be unwise to take such employment under those conditions."

Remove ads