Spirit Magic

Xen_Tiras

First Post
This is a new magic system that operates independently of the normal D&D magic system. I've been working on it for some time now, and I'm currently in the process of getting all the different rules and mechanics together in one place.

I'm very open to ideas, suggestions, and criticism. So, have at it.

Spirit magic is available only to the Spirit Mage class. Instead of learning spells like a wizard or sorcerer, or asking for them from the gods like cleric, a spirit mage uses pure force of will to bend local spirits to his will. As such, charisma is his most important ability, so as to attract and command these natural manifestations.

Spirit mages do not have spells. Instead, they gain “masteries”. These masteries allow them to do different things with elemental spirits for each level of mastery that they gain. Masteries are split into four levels: least, lesser, greater, and greatest. A spirit mage gains a new level of masteries every five levels.

Masteries are also divided into the different elements: fire, water, earth, air, dark and light. At first level, a spirit mage selects three elements to specialize in. Each time the spirit mage gains a new level of masteries, he automatically gains those three masteries every time. Of the other three masteries, he must choose one to be his forbidden mastery. A spirit mage may not gain control over this mastery through normal feats, and has penalties while dealing with spirits of that element. The other two masteries can be gained through the use of regular feats available only to spirit mages.

Mechanics

Spirit mages, like most other spellcasters, have a daily limit to the number of times they can use their masteries. The limit to the use of masteries is two times the casters spirit mage level. However, a spirit mage can exceed this limit by making a Charisma check (DC 10 + Mastery level +1 for each time the caster exceeds his daily limit).

However, there are also many other things masteries do besides summon and control elemental spirits. A spirit mage can also infuse a certain type of elemental spirit with items, with varying levels of powers, effects, and durations based on the spirits infused. In addition, they may also channel the essence of a spirit into a focused attack, dealing damage with their raw element. A spirit mage can fuse together the essences of any two spirits, be they summoned, invoked, or channeled, to combine their effects into ever more spectacular events.

Using masteries is also governed by the concept of linking. Linking refers to stringing together uses of the same mastery to achieve more power in later uses. Each time a mastery is used, it can be strung together with other uses of the same mastery, each time gaining a bit more strength, to reflect the spirit’s familiarity and willingness to cooperate with the mage.

Masteries

Fire Mastery
The element of fire represents that of change and power. Fire is the most direct method of changing most things in the material world, and so it is for the spirits who represent it. Fire spirits tend to be excitable, arrogant, witty, and mercurial. As one looks through the spirits, they tend to lose the more telltale signs of being fire spirits at higher power levels. While least and lesser fire spirits tend to be nothing more than anthropomorphic flames, greater and greatest fire spirits look much more humanoid or abstract, depending on background, while retaining some evidence of being fire-related.

Fire Mastery 1
With this mastery, a character has access to least fire spirits, as well as their different abilities.
Call- Using this, a character calls forth a least fire spirit to do his bidding. The spirit remains manifested for 1 minute/ level of spirit mage or until dismissed. The spirit has 1d4 hp and can burn enemies for 1d4 damage.
LINK: The fire spirit gets +1d4 hp and a +1 bonus to hit for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Invoke- Binds a least fire spirit into an item such as a weapon or armor. If cast on a weapon, the item converts damage dealt into fire damage. Armor gains fire resistance 5. Any other items, regardless of material, are affected as the heat metal spell.
LINK: Weapons receive +1d4 fire damage, armor gains +1 fire resistance, and there is no effect on other items, for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Channel- Propels the raw elemental essence of the spirit at a single target. The attack will seek out the designated target, adding a +2 to the ranged touch attack. The strike deals 1d4 points of fire damage.
LINK: The attack gets +1d4 points of fire damage for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Fire Mastery 2
With this mastery, a character has access to lesser fire spirits, as well as their different abilities.
Call- Using this, a character calls forth a lesser fire spirit to do his bidding. The spirit remains manifested for 1 minute/ level of spirit mage or until dismissed. The spirit has 3d6 hp and can burn enemies for 1d6 damage. It also gains a ranged attack for 1d6 points of fire damage.
LINK: The fire spirit gets +1d6 hp and a +1 bonus to hit for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Invoke- Binds a lesser fire spirit into an item such as a weapon or armor. If cast on a weapon, the item converts damage dealt into fire damage, as well as giving the item the flaming property. Armor gains fire resistance 15. Any other items will burst into flames, not harming the item, the spirit mage, or any he deems friendly, and will give off light equivalent to a torch and deal 1d6 fire damage on contact.
LINK: Weapons get +1d8 damage, armor gains +1 fire resistance, and there is no effect on other items, for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Channel- Propels a moderate amount of elemental essence at a single target. The attack will seek out the designated target, adding a +3 to the ranged touch attack. The strike deals 1d6 points of fire damage.
LINK: The attack gains +1d6 points of fire damage for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Fire Mastery 3
With this mastery, a character has access to greater fire spirits, as well as their different abilities.
Call- Using this, a character calls forth a greater fire spirit to do his bidding. The spirit remains manifested for 1 minute/ level of spirit mage or until dismissed. The spirit has 5d10 hp and can burn enemies for 2d12 damage. It also has a ranged attack for 3d6 of fire damage.
LINK: The spirit gets +1d10 hp and +1d12 to melee damage as well as +1d6 to ranged damage for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Invoke- Binds a greater fire spirit into an item such as a weapon or armor. If cast on a weapon, the item converts damage dealt into fire damage, as well as giving the item the flaming and flaming burst properties. Armor gains fire resistance 25. Any other items become intensely hot to anyone but the spirit mage and those he deems friendly, and can be used for any activity requiring heat.
LINK: Weapons get +1d10 fire damage, armor gets +2 fire resistance and the ability to deal +1d6 fire damage to anyone grappling the wearer, there is no effect on other items, for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Channel- Propels a large amount of elemental essence at a single target. The attack will seek out the designated target, adding a +4 to the ranged touch attack. The strike deals 2d10 points of fire damage.
LINK: The attack gains +1d10 fire damage for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Fire Mastery 4
With this mastery, a character has access to greatest fire spirits, as well as their different abilities.
Call- Using this, a character calls forth a greatest fire spirit to do his bidding. The spirit remains manifested for 1 minute/ level of spirit mage or until dismissed. The spirit has 6d12 hp and can burn enemies for 4d10 fire damage. It also has a ranged attack for 2d12 of fire damage.
LINK: The spirit gains +1d12 hp and +1d10 to melee damage as well as +1d12 to ranged damage, for each use of this mastery prior to this one.

Invoke- Binds a greatest fire spirit into an item such as a weapon or armor. If cast on a weapon, the item converts damage dealt into fire damage, as well giving the item flaming and flaming burst properties, while also instilling the item with the personality and spells of the greatest fire spirit. Armor gains immunity to fire damage as well as the personality and spells of the greatest fire spirit. Any other item remains the same temperature, but on command, can explode into an effect equivalent of a fireball as cast by a 16th level caster.
LINK: Weapons gain +1d12 of fire damage, armor gains +3 fire resistance and increases grapple damage to +1d8, there is no effect on other items, for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

Channel- Propels a huge amount of elemental essence at a single target. The attack will seek out the designated target, adding a +5 to the ranged touch attack. The strike deals 4d12 points of fire damage.
LINK: The attack gets +1d12 fire damage for each use of this mastery prior to this use.

I also plan to include tables for abilities, spells, classes, and special qualities for the various types of spirits, so that a DM can quickly and easily roll up a random spirit. I would like to stat up a large amount of unique and non-elemental spirits for use with spirit mage-related feats and PrCs.

So, let me know what you guys think.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I like the idea very much! :D

I'm particularly interested in the non-elemental spirits, more than anything else. I'm curious about how you'll implement those ideas. Will there be other possible masteries (such as for non-elemental, or non-light/dark (holy/unholy?) spirits)?

Are you building the class similar to the Warlock? Anyway, I'm curious about what else you might come up with... :)

Xen_Tiras

First Post
Sound of Azure said:
I like the idea very much! :D

I'm particularly interested in the non-elemental spirits, more than anything else. I'm curious about how you'll implement those ideas. Will there be other possible masteries (such as for non-elemental, or non-light/dark (holy/unholy?) spirits)?

Are you building the class similar to the Warlock? Anyway, I'm curious about what else you might come up with... :)

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

The non-elemental spirits are the manifestations of other things, such as concepts, objects, places, and abstract ideas. Example include: a Kami of War, the spirit of a samurai's ancestral armor, the Kami of Aber Wood, and a Kami of Technology. I'm building several PrCs and feats that allow access to mastery over non-elemental spirits, the spirits of the dead, and spirits that represent both the forces of good and evil.

I've never seen the Warlock class, so I don't exactly know how to answer. I don't actually play much D&D, I live in an area that doesn't support a large number of gamers. I do, however, design lots of stuff for it. I also can't afford many gaming products, so I'm still working with 3.0, both because of my lack of funds and my refusal to buy a new set of books until 4.0.

Remove ads