Overcoming 'True Seeing'

rgard

Adventurer
Anybody know of a spell or magic item that overcomes True Seeing? I read Non-Detection and I don't think that cuts it.

Thanks,
Rich

rgard

Adventurer
frankthedm said:
You don't.

Yes, ok.

That said. It is only a 5th level spell (cleric). It makes sense that there would be a spell of equal or higher level to counteract it.

Thanks,
Rich

frankthedm

First Post
rgard said:
It is only a 5th level spell (cleric). It makes sense that there would be a spell of equal or higher level to counteract it.
What spell or magic item lets you get around Death Ward or Freedom of Movement? My life draining undead would like to know. WotC had to make an antimagic grappler monster to defeat FoM. That said mind blank, wish or miracle might work.

True Seeing
Divination
Level: Clr 5, Drd 7, Knowledge 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.

Material Component: An ointment for the eyes that costs 250 gp and is made from mushroom powder, saffron, and fat.

Mind Blank
Abjuration
Level: Protection 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

Luthien Greyspear

First Post
I don't think Mind Blank would block True Seeing, as it only blocks intrusion into the mind. True Seeing has no effect that would allow the caster to get into the target's mind; it only reveals physical truths. If True Seeing slightly more mystical knowledge as part of its effect (Know Alignment, or Detect Insanity, or the like), then I think Mind Blank would work.

OP, what are you specifically trying to get past True Seeing? Is it a disguise of some sort? If so, then just use the Disguise skill. True Seeing can't penetrate NON-magical disguises, just magical ones.

As far as true counteraction (and not dispelling) I think it would have to be a carefully worded Wish or Miracle spell.

Stalker0

Legend
The whole True Seeing/Mind Blank argument has been thrown around a 100 times, anyone know if any kind of conclusion was reached?

That said. It is only a 5th level spell (cleric). It makes sense that there would be a spell of equal or higher level to counteract it.

Greater dispel magic:)

rgard

Adventurer
Luthien Greyspear said:
I don't think Mind Blank would block True Seeing, as it only blocks intrusion into the mind. True Seeing has no effect that would allow the caster to get into the target's mind; it only reveals physical truths. If True Seeing slightly more mystical knowledge as part of its effect (Know Alignment, or Detect Insanity, or the like), then I think Mind Blank would work.

OP, what are you specifically trying to get past True Seeing? Is it a disguise of some sort? If so, then just use the Disguise skill. True Seeing can't penetrate NON-magical disguises, just magical ones.

As far as true counteraction (and not dispelling) I think it would have to be a carefully worded Wish or Miracle spell.

Agreed on the Mind Blank not working. The NPC will probably be using a magic item that confers True Seeing. The targeted dispel (greater) would work, but will only for 1d4 rounds.

The PC in question will be using an Invisibility or Greater Invisibility, but doesn't help if the spell is always negated (as far as the NPC is concerned) by the True Seeing.

Maybe research a Greater Non-Detection.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads