Can I be planar bound?

Vorput

First Post
So I'm a native outsider (Air genesai)... erm, rather- my character is.

Am I subject to the planar binding spell?

Question the second: If I go to another plane, can I summon anyone with that spell (including people from the material)? Or does the target line "elemental or outsider" mean that it must be an actual outsider...

Leaving the material plane is confusing...

Vorp

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Depends on what you feel is "flavor text". I say the "from another plane" means that you have to be on a different plane than the one attempting to call you is currently on.

Be careful with your proper name.

The victim needs to be an elemental or outsider.

Planar Binding, Lesser
Conjuration (Calling) [see text]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels); see text
Target: One elemental or outsider with 6 HD or less
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: No and Yes; see text

Casting this spell attempts a dangerous act: to lure a creature from another plane to a specifically prepared trap, which must lie within the spell’s range. The called creature is held in the trap until it agrees to perform one service in return for its freedom.

To create the trap, you must use a magic circle spell, focused inward. The kind of creature to be bound must be known and stated. If you wish to call a specific individual, you must use that individual’s proper name in casting the spell.

The target creature is allowed a Will saving throw. If the saving throw succeeds, the creature resists the spell. If the saving throw fails, the creature is immediately drawn to the trap (spell resistance does not keep it from being called). The creature can escape from the trap with by successfully pitting its spell resistance against your caster level check, by dimensional travel, or with a successful Charisma check (DC 15 + 1/2 your caster level + your Cha modifier). It can try each method once per day. If it breaks loose, it can flee or attack you. A dimensional anchor cast on the creature prevents its escape via dimensional travel. You can also employ a calling diagram (see magic circle against evil) to make the trap more secure.

If the creature does not break free of the trap, you can keep it bound for as long as you dare. You can attempt to compel the creature to perform a service by describing the service and perhaps offering some sort of reward. You make a Charisma check opposed by the creature’s Charisma check. The check is assigned a bonus of +0 to +6 based on the nature of the service and the reward. If the creature wins the opposed check, it refuses service. New offers, bribes, and the like can be made or the old ones reoffered every 24 hours. This process can be repeated until the creature promises to serve, until it breaks free, or until you decide to get rid of it by means of some other spell. Impossible demands or unreasonable commands are never agreed to. If you roll a 1 on the Charisma check, the creature breaks free of the binding and can escape or attack you.

Once the requested service is completed, the creature need only so inform you to be instantly sent back whence it came. The creature might later seek revenge. If you assign some open-ended task that the creature cannot complete though its own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of one day per caster level, and the creature gains an immediate chance to break free. Note that a clever recipient can subvert some instructions.

When you use a calling spell to call an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

magic circle against evil
This spell has an alternative version that you may choose when casting it. A magic circle against evil can be focused inward rather than outward. When focused inward, the spell binds a nongood called creature (such as those called by the lesser planar binding, planar binding, and greater planar binding spells) for a maximum of 24 hours per caster level, provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle. The creature cannot cross the circle’s boundaries. If a creature too large to fit into the spell’s area is the subject of the spell, the spell acts as a normal protection from evil spell for that creature only.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Vorput said:
So I'm a native outsider (Air genesai)... erm, rather- my character is.

That means you are susceptible to things that target creatures with the Outsider type.

Vorput said:
Am I subject to the planar binding spell?

If you fall under HD requirement, are on a different plane than the caster, and the caster knows your proper name, then yes.

Vorput said:
Question the second: If I go to another plane, can I summon anyone with that spell (including people from the material)? Or does the target line "elemental or outsider" mean that it must be an actual outsider...

It means the being you want to summon has to be of type Elemental, or type Outsider.

frankthedm

First Post
Your native subtype does not save you either.

Native Subtype: A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.

Jack Simth

First Post
Curious....

The Planar Binding line permits you to both call and compel unique critters that fall inside the Hit Dice limit, provided you win the target fails the Will and the caster wins the opposed Charisma check, whereas Gate, a higher-level, more expensive spell, can't compel unique critters at all. Very interesting. I never noticed that before.....

frankthedm

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Curious....

The Planar Binding line permits you to both call and compel unique critters that fall inside the Hit Dice limit, provided you win the target fails the Will and the caster wins the opposed Charisma check, whereas Gate, a higher-level, more expensive spell, can't compel unique critters at all. Very interesting. I never noticed that before.....
Compare casting times. Dropping a gate is a lot faster that going through the motions of a binding.

Vorput

First Post
frankthedm said:
Be careful with your proper name.

...damn... My wizard is arrogant and cocky... he gives his name to most every NPC he ever meets- and tells them to remember it well. Damn. :) :) :) :) !

Hmm... I wonder if I can get re-named... or umm... something...

Jack Smith said:
Curious....

Yeah... With the duration and the need to pen the diagram and such, it's definetly not designed as a combat spell... but that's just one of the many odd features of the spell. Interestingly it's much harder to bind a succubus with their high charisma than most other outsiders. Balors have too high an HD limit in 3.5, but in 3.0 it was easier to summon and bind a balor than a succubus. I haven't looked at the other demons and elementals in 3.5 but I bet this still holds true.

Vorp

Sejs

First Post
Look on the bright side - you can be bound, sure.

But if you're got a friend that's able to cast those spells you're also really easy to recover should you ever get kidnapped, lost, etc.

Two way street.

Vorput

First Post
You know... I suppose that's very true...

Sweet, I'm gonna go on spleunking expeditions in the Abyss!!!!

...maybe not.

Jack Simth

First Post
frankthedm said:
Compare casting times. Dropping a gate is a lot faster that going through the motions of a binding.
Yeah.... but then, compare, say, Scrying to Greater Scrying - you go from an hour-long casting time with an expensive (for most classes) focus for a minute/level effect to a standard action casting time with just V, S components (no more expensive focus) for an hour/level effect in 2 (for the Cleric, who gets Scrying as a 4th, rather than 3rd, level spell) or 3 (for everyone else) spell levels. A very big jump in ease of use and utility, as well as a reduction in expense. In no way is Scrying superior to Greater Scrying, other than things directly tied to the fact that it's a lower-level spell (which also reduces the save DC).

Greater Planar Binding, on the other hand, has a nifty that Gate doesn't - it can actually be used to compel unique creatures. Sure, it's resistable, takes longer to cast, has some interesting drawbacks, .... but it's also a lower-level spell, and has potentially no mechanical cost for things like, oh, getting a few decent guardians for your castle for the next week while you go adventuring. The calling function of Gate, on the other hand, always costs XP, and if you're looking for protracted service (contract clause) definately costs you something (excepting the cases of highly aligned tasks to the Called critter), but gets you an immediate ally when needed, and has a much higher hit die limit. Hmm... okay, the two spells aren't really close enough for a ready comparison. Oh well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases