Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)

Phoenix

First Post
To many the world is little more than the street that they scrounge for food within, to most the world stretches out through the sprawl of the city they call home, but one thing binds the people of the world, none have seen the outside world, Metropolis is their home.

The dark world of Metropolis is one of a doomed existence, where the people of the world are contained to a single city, and none have ever ventured forth into the wasteland that surrounds it (in fact few have ever even glimpsed the powerful city walls that protect their homes).

Millions of people dwell in the city from all walks of life. Sailors pilot ships through the canals to trade with other portions of the city. Explorers visit far-flung suburbs in an attempt to map the impossibly huge city. Archaeologists delve deep into the earth to discover the origins of their home. Peasants try to earn a living, trying to ignore the worthless existence that they live in.

“Metropolis - The Weight of the World (and Found Wanting)" is a PbP with a difference. Though the players will be delving though an adventure seeking a resolution, the adventure will be heavily based on the group’s decisions. What does this mean?

I’m looking for four players that can provide a special skill-set for this game. I’m not looking for people that simply respond to the GM whenever he provides a problem, nor simply talks to the other players when an adventure requires a decision. I want four players to play real people.

They must be able to shoot of in tangents, talk politics to each other, and share cake recipes. This game is based more on the players than the story, more on what you do than what I say.

IF you think that you can be a part of this dynamic group, then get a character background posted (be as liberal as you want with your history, but don’t go overboard). Many aspects of the background have been left vague at the moment (I’d like to complete my background based on character histories), and I am keen to post once the players are accepted.

There are only a handful of things to remember:
- There is no one ruler or god of Metropolis. The city’s population is in excess of ten million people and sprawls across a massive landscape than none have the power to control.
- No-one has left the city in centuries (though there are urban legends).
- Even though you are low-level characters, you can still be important. A good background will inspire me to grant you additional items/prestige/money dependant on the needs of the game or the character (a little vague, but you’ll get the picture once you’re in).
- The story is more important than statistics, if you want to play a Commoner, go for it (I’ve always been partial to the Accountant myself).
- This is a game of storytelling, though there will be combat involved you will be disappointed if you design your character solely for fighting. Pack a sword though.
- Applicants must be able to post once every 1-2 days, this will be a fast-paced game so if you have holidays or you know you can’t keep up, don’t apply.
- This is a new chapter in the story of Metropolis, meaning that you need to know nothing about the previous game (see my sig for links). The game will be set in ENTIRELY NEW SUBURBS of Metropolis, no previous knowledge should be used.

The logistics?
5th level characters (no need to worry about who is playing what or if you need a cleric).
28 point statistics buy.
PHB classes and races only (be creative with the Druid).
10,000 gp starting money (anything from the PHB or DMG only).

When creating backgrounds, look to the link in my sig to previous players as to what I expect. I am more interested in backgrounds then stats, your story will make the campaign world come alive.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Welcome back :)

and UGH! I so want to play, but I think I may be overextended :(

Maybe Taran can wreck havok with them from above ;)

Scotley

Hero
I'll whip up a submission for this one. I can make the posting commitment and I'm definately up for the interactive aspects of this game. I'm thinking a Rogue maybe fighter mix human. His family were local rulers of a district that was entirely destroyed by fire in his youth. He still feels a noble obligation to what he sees as 'his' people, but now works from the shadows as a protector and servant to the people. I'll try and get some history up tonight or in the morning and see if it fits with your vision.

Fenris

Adventurer
Welcome back indeed! :)

I don't care if I am overextended, there is no way I would miss one of Phoenix's games, especially not Metropolis.

So count me in. I will put up a concept later.

Maybe a priest of the Jackal :). Nah, but an accountant does have some possibilities.

Festy_Dog

First Post
It's good to see you again, Phoenix. :D

I'm eager to throw my lot in (as it happens I've got an idea for a wizard) but as the game seems to have attracted a fair bit of interest I'm inclined to make way for those who have not yet experienced Metropolis. If there ends up being room for me I'd be overjoyed, but otherwise count me as an alt and I'll cook up something useful just in case a space opens up.

Kafkonia

First Post
Based on your comment about playing Commoners, I was getting all excited to play an Expert (an insurance agent.) But then I say "PHB Classes only." So the NPC classes are off limits?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hmm... I have an interesting fighter that I had for another game that went south. She has an extensive history, though it would have to be tweaked to account for her being a city dweller. I shall see what I make of her for this game.

Phoenix

First Post
Kafkonia said:
Based on your comment about playing Commoners, I was getting all excited to play an Expert (an insurance agent.) But then I say "PHB Classes only." So the NPC classes are off limits?

Well, DMG classes as well :heh:

Amazing to attract the ol' players so fast, and I bask in your compliments ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases