Crypt Spawn

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Crypt Spawn (Template)

A crypt spawn is a ghoulish collection of stolen body parts, stitched together into a single composite form. No natural animal willingly tracks a crypt spawn. Humanoid crypt spawn wear whatever clothing their creators desire, usually just a ragged pair of trousers. They typically have no possessions and no weapons, being resigned to their fate as experiments of the deranged.

A crypt spawn can speak any language it is taught. It walks and moves with a stiff-jointed gait, as if not in complete control of its body. With time they can learn to better use their bodies, but this takes much effort as they are not used to their existance, nor quite comfortable with it.

Creating a Crypt Spawn

“Crypt Spawn” is a template that can be applied to any creature (or creatures) with solid anatomy: aberrations, animals, dragons, fey, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, outsiders, and vermin (hereafter referred to as the “base creature (or creatures)”) Its type changes to construct. It uses all the base creature’s (or creatures) statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Hit die type is same as base creature (or creatures) or d10 whichever is greater. If a crypt spawn's constituent parts had class levels, it receives the highest level possessed in each class, rather than the sum of the levels in each class. Thus a crypt spawn made form seven mages, levels 32, 5, 12, 9, 14, and 21 would have a wizard level of 32. It would, however be free to reselect feats, skills, ect. since it can draw upon the memories of all the constituent donars.

Speed: Same as base creature (or creatures).

AC: Crypt spawn receive the base creature’s (or creatures') innate natural armor value, if any.

Attacks: A crypt spawn retains all the natural attacks of the base creature (or creatures) and also gains two slam attacks if it didn’t already have any natural attacks. Crypt spawn initially lack the coordination to attack with manufactured weapons until they have acquired at least a single additional point of dexterity. They have similar problems with tools, a fact which quite frustrates them.

Damage: Crypt spawn have 2 slam attacks if the base creature (or creatures) didn’t already have natural attacks. If the base creature (or creatures) does not have this attack form, they acquire it. Creatures with natural attacks retain their old damage ratings or use the improved values, whichever is better.

Special Attacks: A crypt spawn retains any special attacks of the base creature (or creatures).

Special Qualities: A crypt spawn retains any special qualities of the base creature (or creatures) and also gains those listed below.

Customizable (Ex): A crypt spawn is the ultimate toy of the deranged mad man. It is fully customizable and can come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. Not to mention personalities. The insane ones who typically build them will often give them additional heads, limbs, ect. , all adding to the freakishness of their creations, while others will make them perfect and beautiful. The exact details of each crypt spawn are dependant entirely upon their anatomy and constituent donars. Keeping in mind that additional donars equate to a higher challenge rating and that the highest base challenge rating from constituent donars is always utilized in preference of the other's and then the challenge rating is further adjusted by class levels and so on. One should also be reminded that an excess of body parts can be a hindrance when it comes to being able to move around and whatnot. Many crypt spawn end up in freak shows, misidentified as living freaks, rather than the constructs they are. Some end up suffering worse fates.

It should further be noted that crypt spawn are fully customizable even after they have been created. Although each customization requires merely more body parts (or the removal of some) and the necessary surgical skills, it should be kept in mind that this could alter it's abilities and thus it's challenge rating. Adding parts will add abilities, while removing parts will remove abilities, ect. . As no part of the crypt creature is truly necessary, it is free to add and remove parts as it sees fit. Imagine seeing a man with a hand for a head, or even a disembodied hand crawling along your floor. The possibilities are virtually infinite.

Construct Traits: Immune to mind-affecting effects and to poison,sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, any effect that requires a fortitude save unless it also works on objects. Cannot heal damage (though can be repaired). Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain or energy drain. Not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less; cannot be raised or resurrected. Darkvision 60ft.

Immunity to Psionic and Magic (Ex): A crypt spawn is immune to any power, psi-like ability, spell, or spell-like ability that allows power resistance or spell resistance. In addition, certain powers, spells, and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

- A psionic/magical attack that deals cold or fire damage slows a crypt spawn (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds, with no saving throw.

- A psionic/magical attack that deals electricity damage breaks any slow effect on the crypt spawn and heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the crypt spawn to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a crypt spawn hit by a lightning bolt heals 3 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 11 points of damage. A crypt spawn gets no saving throw against attacks that deal electricity damage.

Limited Regeneration (Ex): Crypt spawn are capable of reattaching or regrowing lost body parts and/or limbs. Any such body part or limb regrows in 1d4 rounds if it is not reattached. If a lost part happens to be an entire "donated" part, it is not regenerated but may be reattached.

The lost portions can be harvested to make more crypt spawn, this only requires skill with surgical tools and additional body parts. Some crypt spawn will take advantage of this ability to create more of their own kind, thinking of them as their children.

Unnatural aura (Su): Animals shy aways from the Crypt Spawn and refuse to track it.

Saves: Recalculate based on increased hit dice and ability scores, otherwise they are the same as they are for the base creature (or creatures).

Abilities: Str +2, Con —, All remaining ability scores are unchanged. A crypt spawn receives the best combination of ability scores from it's constuent donars. This works similarly to the details concerning class levels. Furthermore, crypt spawn can improve their physical ability scores as they acquire experiance. This functions in the same manner as it does for the living.

Skills: Same as base creature (or creatures).

Feats: Same as base creature (or creatures).

Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4).

Challenge Rating: Same as the most powerful base creature +3 (+1 per 2 constituent creatures).

Treasure: Varies.

Alignment: Varies.

Advancement: —

Level Adjustment: Same as the most powerful base creature +6.

Last edited:

This is an interesting template.... but I think there would be a better way to get to where you are going with this.

My suggestion is to create a new monster along the following lines:

Crypt Spawn, Construct
The creator of a crypt spawn builds it from various parts of dead creatures. It gains the subtype of "Augmented X" where X is the type of the primary component.
Base construct is a 1HD creation of whatever size the creator makes it.

Special Ablities:
- Unnatural aura {SU}: Animals shy aways from the Crypt Spawn and refuse to track it.

Attachment options: These are options that the creator may splice into the being from various parts. Some of these require the Crypt Spawn to have an specific Augmented Type.

Powerful Build, +1 CR, Creation gains the Powerful build ability
Fast Healing, +1 CR, Augmented Aberration, creation gains Fast Healing 1

.... etc..

Use of Upper Krust's CR calculator would be good here.
One leading factor when designing these attachment options is that they should always be weaker than the ability the creature is stolen from. This keeps the Crypt Spawn from turning into the ultimate custom killer critter.

My thoughts for doing it this way is avoiding having a specialized creature that every one has different rules on how it works. Using the standard mechanics of a construct and adding on abilities makes it easier to use.

Last edited:

Sure.. starting typing up options and stuff.. then realized I was going to replicate all the work of Scott Carter's Golem Craft 101...

better to simply point to it and recommend it highly if you plan on doing any construct creating....

With this small pdf you can create all sorts of interesting golum/construct thingys. I used it in my recent search for Spadow Spawn for one of my conjuring characters...

I am off to purchase his follow-up MageSmithing 101 as I didn't notice it was out :)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I got it, but it completely lacks anything on flesh golems, it seems oddly intentional.

Its ok if ur looking for underpowered, unrealistic golems that have little use in actual game play.

Im more looking for things dealing specifically with bone and flesh golems of any realistic variety, unfortunately most writers dont like to put anything out there that has to do with graphic horror.

I like the macabre myself. The more blasphemous...the better.

My main focus for the book was a much more simple construct.. filling the gaps between the homunnculi CR 1/2 and the Golem CR 9 and up.

You are right, perhaps Scott intends on doing a 'Flesh Crafter 101'...

Being the tweakaholic that I am, I would be willing to delve into the beginning of Flesh Crafter 101..

First step: add to the table of material types a row for 'Flesh'
Second, define the 'augmented X' subtypes as LA +0 subset of what the full type X provides.
Third, define various generic enhancements that can be added..some of which would be tied to the augmented subtype.

Fourth, call up Scott and ask him to refine and publish :)

But,.. I am at work so I will have to work on this later. :(

I glanced at some stuff last night between writing the draft of my finals paper {due Thursday :(}..

To simplify your template a bit, while keeping the same effects:

The template can be applied to a flesh golem construct and adds the Type of whatever creature is is mostly composed of. By whats posted on WOTC regarding polymorph, this would give the critter the features of whatever type you apply, while retaining Augmented Construct Traits. Much the same as you wrote upthread, but fits cleaner into the rest of the mechanics {no special cases based on customization..which makes the CR harder to calculate.

More later when I don't have a paper to write :)

I was a bad person... taking a break from completing my homework...

I keep bashing my head into this problem.. so many options that need to be broken down.. but.. see attached for a first draft.

Attachments

• HR Flesh Golems.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 181

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Not bad for a first draft, I like the brain child thing a lot, but what about options for heightened intelligence, perhaps even a way to add flaws.

Im thinking it could probably use a bit of detail concerning surgical tools and procedures used, not like a complete biology seminar, but something for flavor, so characters can get a good idea of what to expect in a lab that would be used in their creation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases