Prehistoric D20

tecnowraith

First Post
Hi all I am to get feedback on project I am seriously thinking of doing. I have some questions to ask. The first question right is would any of run or play ina d20 campaign world set in prehistoric times like the Stone or Ice age? If yes, who is here would like to help? Have anyone published a similar one yet?

Last edited:

I've considered doing such a project myself. It is a very limited time period though, not really conducive to having a lot of character classes.

tadk

Explorer
i like this idea

wanted to do something like it a while ago
want me to dig up my notes and jot down my old ideas for you

tecnowraith

First Post
hmmm ok this is good. I must confes, I got the idea after watching the comdey movie Caveman and I started thinking that it be interesting and cool to to do. If like the idea I like to start a project with people who are interested in ghelping out.

tecnowraith

First Post
This what I have so far. The world would be like a 100 years afters certain humaniod races, mainly the humans, have just been "born" in this new world given certain "invetions" have been discovered. Think a mixed view of the Flintstones and D&D.

Playable Races:Standard D&D Races but with the feral template (not if elves and half-elves will be on theis world or not), Lizardfolk, Shifters, Saurials

Playable Classes: Barbarian, Savage BardCleric – nature-based (maybe), Druid, Fighter; Not sure on these: Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer

The skills I think that will not be used so they will be dropped: Appraise Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Knowledge (arcana, nobility and royalty, the planes and religion), Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Agent Oracle

First Post
Believe it or not, there is a Caveman RPG. it's called..."Land of OG" subtitle "Gaming no many words"

There is actually a complete list of acceptable words to use in OG games. The expansion book contained one new word (gasp!) You can be a "strong caveman", a "many word caveman" and many more classes. There was a minor error in the original printing (the creatures have no "speed" so you can just run from any of them, and they cannot follow)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I've toyed with the idea of doing something like this myself, although I think I finally ended up getting hung up on the idea of what to do with magic/wizards/sorcerers, and then flew off onto a tangent of trying to break down the magic "system" into something sort of like the development of technology- bronze age, iron age, etc.- that would be portable across genres. Still working on that one. :)

tecnowraith said:
Playable Classes: Barbarian, Savage BardCleric – nature-based (maybe), Druid, Fighter; Not sure on these: Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer

I was thinking of allowing the Sorcerer, and having it basically be the "Wizard" of the prehistoric world.

Rogue would still be useful, although it would probably need a bit of a shift in abilities somewhat (particularly as regards to skills). Ranger seems like it would still be viable, although I think you might have to consider changing some abilities- notably the Combat Style feats (to accomodate a more "primitive" sort of warrior).

The skills I think that will not be used so they will be dropped: Appraise Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Knowledge (arcana, nobility and royalty, the planes and religion), Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

I'd keep Escape Artist (for getting out of wrestling holds- I think it helps for that, right? Also, possibly for getting out of other sorts of ropes, unless rope doesn't exist in your world), Knowledge (religion) probably.

Perform should definitely stay- storytelling would be the major means of keeping a sense of community (or is there no language at all that you are proposing?); I could also see primitive dance and even forms of theater as a means of paying homage to the gods.

Spellcraft is a toughie... I could go either way (like with Knowledge: Religion).

Stormborn

Explorer
I second "frost and fur" as a must have. Also, if you want an ice age feel you might look into Frostfell from WotC.

As for the skills you are considering nixing:
Appraise: keep, paleolithic/neolithic man had a variety of tools, and different tribes would use different things. in an economy that will be based on barter appraise is vital.
Decipher Script: probablly safe to drop
Diplomacy: keep. Those other tribes will need talking to, village elders will need appeasing, stone age doesn't mean their society isn't complex
Disable Device: keep, or roll into the craft trap skill
Disguise: probablly little used but i would keep it
Escape Artist: keep
Forgery: drop
Gather Information: keep, people still know stuff and keep secrets
Knowledge (arcana, nobility and royalty, the planes and religion): keep religion and roll arcana into it, drop the rest. Remember that the Shaman is going to be one of the most important people in the culture.
Open Lock: drop
Perform: vitally neccesary, keep
Profession: drop
Sense Motive: keep, see Diplomacy and Gather Info
Sleight of Hand: hiding objects on your person would still be useful
Spellcraft, Use Magic Device: it all depends on magic in the campaign. If magic is possible then keep.

Of course,you might want to look into Iron Heroes as a useful system for a more primative and brutal world. I would recast Orcs as Neanderthal "Beast Men", and maybe use Dwarves as "stone tribe men" who are slightly more technologically advanced. If you want easy DnD classes I would stick to Barbarian, Savage Bard, Fighter, Ranger, Druid, and Sorcerer - possibly adding in Scout to take the place of Rogue.

Remove ads