Errata, Errors and more errors (Eberron)

brehobit

Explorer
OK,
I'm playing a Talenta halfing and was looking around for some good ideas. In doing so, I seem to be finding tons of errors (and errata that the Eberron authors appeared unaware of). I'm sure little of this is new or surprising, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something....

#1 The ECS says of Carvers (in part): "...about the size of a heavy of a heavy horse..." and "Known on some worlds as deinonychus, it is detailed on page 60 of the Monster Manual. Trained for war, its size and strength allow it to carry two halflings or a single human-sized rider."

In the Monster manual a deinonychus is a Large creature. But the errata for the monster manual changes it to a medium creature. One that is much more powerful than a clawfoot. I'm guessing that the Eberron authors missed that errata. Further, to keep things even vaguely reasonable, I think that the errata should be ignored in Eberron. A clawfoot is scary enough. You don't need halfings riding the medium death machines that are carvers...

#2 The "Clawfoot rider" from the War of the Dragon Queens DDM set has some serious problems with it's D&D stats. Firstly, the clawfoot is getting two talon attacks. Secondly, a level 9 ranger has a 4HD companion with evasion. As a clawfoot is a -3 effective level companion (per page 37 ECS) and the ranger is level 4 for animal companions, his companion should be 2HD and not have evasion. And don't even talk to me about his wacky skills (where are all the modifiers for dinosaours coming from?)

Christian

Explorer
brehobit said:
OK,
I'm playing a Talenta halfing and was looking around for some good ideas. In doing so, I seem to be finding tons of errors (and errata that the Eberron authors appeared unaware of). I'm sure little of this is new or surprising, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something....

#1 The ECS says of Carvers (in part): "...about the size of a heavy of a heavy horse..." and "Known on some worlds as deinonychus, it is detailed on page 60 of the Monster Manual. Trained for war, its size and strength allow it to carry two halflings or a single human-sized rider."

In the Monster manual a deinonychus is a Large creature. But the errata for the monster manual changes it to a medium creature. One that is much more powerful than a clawfoot. I'm guessing that the Eberron authors missed that errata. Further, to keep things even vaguely reasonable, I think that the errata should be ignored in Eberron.

Correct on all counts, according to Keith Baker in the Ask Keith FAQ on the WOTC boards. Simplest fix according to him is to treat the clawfoot as a deinonychus-like dinosaur that uses the pre-errata MM deinonychus stats. (And as far as #2 is concerned--who on Earth uses the D&D stats from the cards in the miniatures sets? That side is wasted ink as far as I'm concerned. They're nowhere near complete enough to use in a real game.)

brehobit

Explorer
Christian said:
Correct on all counts, according to Keith Baker in the Ask Keith FAQ on the WOTC boards. Simplest fix according to him is to treat the clawfoot as a deinonychus-like dinosaur that uses the pre-errata MM deinonychus stats.

I'm guessing you meant to treat the caver as the pre-errata deinonychus (or that's what I got out of the thread you pointed me to.)

Thanks!

Mark

Christian

Explorer
brehobit said:
I'm guessing you meant to treat the caver as the pre-errata deinonychus (or that's what I got out of the thread you pointed me to.)

Uh, yeah. Don't know why I said 'clawfoot' instead of 'carver'. Unless it got stuck in my head from reading your second question.

Now I need errata for my messageboard posts ...

brehobit

Explorer
Christian said:
Uh, yeah. Don't know why I said 'clawfoot' instead of 'carver'. Unless it got stuck in my head from reading your second question.

Now I need errata for my messageboard posts ...
:)

I know the feeling....

Remove ads