Wolfen from Palladium

Maddenus2

First Post
has anyone done a D&D 3rd edition conversion of the Wolfen from Palladium?

If so could someone do a refresher or maybe help me create one.

Stats I thought of would be move 40, Str +2 Dex -1 Int -1 Wis -2 Con +2 Racial Feat Track
Classes all with no exp penalties for multiclassing

Large creatures or Normal?

Please Help

Thanks

Acmite

First Post
Granted, it's been almost 10 years since I've played any Palladium game other than Rifts (and it's been about 8 years for that), but aren't Wolfen remarkably similar to Gnolls?

The best way to approach this might be to build off of the Gnolls in teh MM. Maybe give them an extra hit die, and a special ability?

If I remember correctly, they should be large creatues. So, start with gnoll --> increase size to Large and make proper changes --> add a special ability or extra skills? Scent is a given. Maybe DR 5/+1?

Like I said, I don't ahve Palladium anymore, so that's all I can help with until more stuff is posted by other people.

Acmite

Wolf72

Explorer
or DR5/silver? (I've seen the Palladium world RPG book thingee a total of once ... all I remember is that they were ... wolfen!)

find a set of stats and abilities you want to give them then check out soldarins ECL (Level adjustment) calculator and see what kind of LA they might be. You might actually want to take away abilities if they seem to powerful (LA +3 or higher ... would you want to really play a 1st lvl character while everyone else is 4th?) ... anyway that's the only justifacation I can think of for doing minotaurs the way I did.

Crothian

First Post
This is from a campaign I ran last year. It has all 3 canine races from Palladium. All the races are medium sized because I could balance out a large sized race.

Wolfen: The Wolfen are a large canine race, basically a humanoid wolf. They stand between 7 and 9 feet tall. They live primarily in small towns and villages, though there are some large cities of them. These cities are not well planned out and are often mazes of buildings and alleys. They are the most organized creatures on the continent and possess some of the best technology. They used to be slaves to the giants and since they revolted the giants have been trying to conquer them again. They exist in ten different tribes. Each tribe has specific traits and personality. The Wolfen are good hunters and better warriors. They have a natural feel for combat. Their culture reflects this. All Wolfen are trained in weapons. Many of them go on to serve in the army protecting the border against the giants. Since the Wolfen have moved into the cities they have experienced a population growth. They receive a +4 bonus to Strength and a –4 Charisma. They have low light vision equal to an elf. They get a +4 to track a blood trail by scent. They have a +2 to all listen checks. They can attack with their claws (1d4+str) or a bite (1d6+ ½ str). They get a +2 bonus to craft items made of wood. They get a martial weapon feat or weapon focus in any weapon they can use. They have a base movement of forty.

Coyles: They are like Wolfen except have lighter fur, basically a humanoid coyote. They tend to live in small roaming tribes. The greater the number of Coyles, the greater their chaotic nature comes out. Coyles have never wanted to be leaders; they are a lazy bunch. Since the revolt, the Wolfen have looked after these cousins and use them in the best way they know how. They gather up tens of thousands of Coyles and have them attack the giants. The Coyles love this; they are very warlike and enjoy battle. Coyles are also very ornery. They love to be bullies of the smaller races. They believe in persona freedom above everything else. Most crimes in the Wolfen cities that involve theft and muggings are caused by Coyles. They receive a +2 bonus to strength and constitution and a –4 to wisdom. They have low light vision equal to an elf. They also gain a free martial weapon feat or weapon focus in any weapon the can weld. They have a base movement of forty. They get a +4 bonus to track by blood scent. They get a +2 bonus to all listen checks. Their claws and bite are the same as a Wolfen.

Kankoran: They are small Wolfen that live in the deepest part of the wilderness. The average about 5 feet in height. Unlike the other canine races, they were never slaves to the giants. They have always lived in the deep forest as woodsmen in small tribes. They live peacefully with the human and sylvan tribes. They have a unique creation mythos hat credits the elves in their creation. They treat all elves with great respect. The elves of no knowledge of ever creating a race. They receive a +2 bonus to Dexterity and Constitution and a –2 to Strength and Wisdom. They have low light vision as an elf does. They receive a +4 bonus to wilderness lore and to track by blood scent. They get +2 to all listen checks. Their claws do the same as a Wolfen. They have a base speed of 40 feet.

Spyritwind

First Post
Some one posted a really nice, balanced Gnoll/Wolfen race not long ago before the boards changed, but I can't find it now.

Gnolls are pretty much Wolfen. You might want to search the boards for it. The search wasn't working though.

Maddenus2

First Post
Thanks

That breakdown is great actually. I had forgotten that they could bite and have improved hearing.

i wanted to keep them separate from Gnolls as they have a much more sophisticated culture. the discription above is excellent.

I havent played rifts, I made my own version before it came out using turtles, heroes unlimited, oh and the horror book that i cant remember its name. Then emigrated and lost my books :(

oh well.

Thanks for the help.

Crothian

First Post
I've been playing Palladium almost as long as I've been playing D&D (18+ years). THe systems were always close enough that I can steal from both games. Glad you liked the write up. Those were all play tested in my campaign and all of them seemed to work along side the PHB races very well.

At first I had wanted to make the wolfen large, but I could come up with a way to make the ECL + 0 and be happy with the race.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases