Finally Read Feast for Crows (spoilers likely)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Man, sometimes I hate this series. While I think Arya and Brienne will return, there was no reason to do what he did to them. Can't we have an interesting good character (or at least sort of good) that survives? Yes, i know it is mature, dark, whatever, but darkness without light just isn't that interesting. Why kill the lightning lord?

I also think he may be juggling too many stories here to keep them all interesting. I thought the cersei twist was interesting, and I hope the church turns overly zealous (not at the expense of making it anti church, though - then I'll have to read hundreds of posts about how Martin is anti Catholic or something).

I don't know, the last 100 pages or so kind of didn't work for me.

Digital M@

Explorer
I agree, I was less than enthused during most of the book. The story lines were good enough I guess, but there was little meat in the book and a lot of fodder. The sex in the book is starting to detract from it as well. I am hoping the next one is better.

LiKral

First Post
Zaukrie said:
Man, sometimes I hate this series. While I think Arya and Brienne will return, there was no reason to do what he did to them. Can't we have an interesting good character (or at least sort of good) that survives? Yes, i know it is mature, dark, whatever, but darkness without light just isn't that interesting. Why kill the lightning lord?

Beric may be dead, but I think Arya and Brienne are fine. Remember that every other chapter ends with a cliffhanger, to make you keep reading. I'll bet Arya's condition is temporary, and Brienne gets a last-minute reprieve.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
i think that too, but I just seemed to lose interest somewhere around 100 pages to go. Like I was watching the hands put up the stage, but nothing was really happening (other than Cersei and the religious stuff).

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think it is suffering from "middle of the trilogy" syndrome (well, "middle of the 7 book series" anyhow).

I was choked that the Young Wolf does not have a son to take his throne, but I guess that would have been too storybook predictable.

Besides, Arya is fine. Her condition will be fixed when she learns to behave herself.

I think Brienne will live (too many subplots with her relations with her two companions, I think, for her to just end).

But I gotta admit, many of the "cool" characters will be featured in the next book, so that this book seems like a long prequel to what is coming up (to which see my first comment).

KenM

Banned
Banned
Better not be another 5 years before the next book. I was very PO'ed when GRRM cut all my favorite POV characters from CROWS.

Digital M@

Explorer
I think you can tell about the lack of impact this book has had from the lack of posting on the boards about it. There have been many threads and most of them have attracted less attention than the threads talking about the upcoming release, or the delay of the Feast for Crows.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases