Cloth,Flint n Steel, Arrow, Oil=Fire Arrow?

GWolf

First Post
My friend came up with Idea after watching Gladaitor w/me, and as the dm I woudl allow it but IWould liek your opinions on damage, etc, how it would work etc.

durath

First Post
good idea

I'd also let it work. Off the top of my head I'd say igniting the arrow would be a move equivalent action. For damage I'd either have it do an extra point of damage or maybe as a d3.

Alchemists fire does a d6 and I'd say this is less potent than that so an extra point of damage or so seems about right.

Artoomis

First Post
Here's a couple rules to use:

1. From Flame Arrow spell:

Flaming Normal Projectiles: When choosing this version, the character can affect up to one projectile per level. The projectiles must all be within 10 feet of the character at the time of casting. If shot before the end of the next round, these projectiles catch fire. If they hit, they deal additional fire damage equal to half the character's caster level (up to +10). The flaming projectiles can easily ignite flammable materials or structures. No saving throw is allowed for this version of the spell.

Alchemist's Fire: Alchemist's fire is a sticky, adhesive substance that ignites when exposed to air. Throw a flask of alchemist's fire as a grenadelike weapon.

On the round following a direct hit, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage. The target can take a full-round action to attempt to extinguish the flames before taking this additional damage. It takes a successful Reflex saving throw (DC 15) to extinguish the flames. Rolling on the ground allows the character a +2 bonus. Leaping into a lake or magically extinguishing the flames automatically smothers the flames.

Bomb: This round gunpowder bomb must be lit before it is thrown. Lighting the bomb is a standard action. The explosive deals 2d6 points of fire damage. Those caught within the blast radius can make a Reflex save (DC 20) to take half damage.

Based upon all that I'd say:

A flame arrow may be constructed ahead of time, taking at least one minute per arrow - thus doing so during combat would be unusual. They weigh 1 lb each, and only 1/2 as many may fit in a quiver. Lighting a flame arrow is a move-equivalent action. A flame arrow does the damage of the arrow, plus 1d6. The flaming projectile can easily ignite flammable materials or structures - this would not normally affect characters as characters are not normally flammable. Due to its inherently non-aerodynamic nature, the range increment for a flame arrow is 1/2 of normal.

Last edited:

GWolf

First Post
Nice

I liek the way you are thinking, and what abotu these to things.

Perhaps he set a small piece of ground on fire and dipepd the arrow in, he coudl light them quicker.

And what about, peopel catching fire, I believe clothing would, so what would you do about this?

Someone

Adventurer
As I see it, it´s a great way to a) burn your left hand when you´re about to shoot b) destroy the aerodinamics, balance and aim of the arrow and c) stop the arrow´s penetration.

So you transform a great weapon in something utterly useless. Unless you make arrows long enough and don´t shoot targets smaller than a building or a ship.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Someone said:
As I see it, it´s a great way to a) burn your left hand when you´re about to shoot b) destroy the aerodinamics, balance and aim of the arrow and c) stop the arrow´s penetration.

So you transform a great weapon in something utterly useless. Unless you make arrows long enough and don´t shoot targets smaller than a building or a ship.

You'er absolutely right... Tactically and historically speaking, the purpose of a flaming arrow is not to set an enemy soldier on fire, but to set a building, sailing ship, seige engine or something similarly large and flammable on fire.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Re: Nice

GWolf said:
I liek the way you are thinking, and what abotu these to things.

Perhaps he set a small piece of ground on fire and dipepd the arrow in, he coudl light them quicker.

And what about, peopel catching fire, I believe clothing would, so what would you do about this?

Actually, using something like this to light the arrows would be the move-equivalent action. If you had to light it by flint and steel... Have you ever tried to light anything with flint and steel?

Macbrea

First Post
I think I would do the following for them.

Oil soaked ragged arrow

Oil soaked rags take a Move equivalent action to lit if a fire source is available. They weight double weight of a normal arrow. Their damage is 1d6 fire damage added. The also suffer an additional cumilative -2 circumstance modifier to all range penalties. This would mean that the arrow fired from a longbow at 140ft would be -4 penalty to hit. At 210 feet it would be at -8 to hit.

As you can see they only really serve as limited use. Initial barages and setting objects on fire. They wouldn't set a soft person on fire because no correctly written object sticks in its opponent under the DnD hp system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases