Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
You can't provide the prerequisites unless you are around each day, as per the section on crafting magic items. The homunculus still saves a great deal of time, so the crafter could be crafting something else in the same day that their homunculus is finishing the item's work for the day.

Actually the homunculus specifically states that it takes over the responsibility of time, allowing the master to adventure while it continues working.

So, no, the master doesn't have to be there each day.

Check out the ECS, page 285. It lays it out quite clearly overriding the section on crafting magic items.

Bront

The man with the probe
stonegod said:
The more loops you describe, the more my "only casters of the same type on the same scroll (or artificers UMD'ing)" makes sense to me (i.e., my weaker proposal). Solves the multi-typing issue.
I agree with this on scrolls.

Obviously, this means that an artifacer can colaberate on anything.

Here's an odd question though. Not that there are a lot of 18th level wizards out there, but what we're saying is that one could find a first level wizard or artifacer, help him craft a scroll, and have this 1st level character spend all the XP?

El Jefe

First Post
Bront said:
Not that there are a lot of 18th level wizards out there, but what we're saying is that one could find a first level wizard or artifacer, help him craft a scroll, and have this 1st level character spend all the XP?
Hmmm. Sounds a little like the system some professors use to do their research!

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
El Jefe said:
Hmmm. Sounds a little like the system some professors use to do their research!
Hey, I resemble that remark! :cool:

And yes, that is exactly what the proposal states when one allows collaboration on scrolls.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
You can't provide the prerequisites unless you are around each day, as per the section on crafting magic items. The homunculus still saves a great deal of time, so the crafter could be crafting something else in the same day that their homunculus is finishing the item's work for the day.
I'd say the text is pretty explicit in saying that the creator doesn't need to be there. But if he channels the prerequisites into the dedicated wright, presumably he loses access to those spell slots for the time the dedicated wright is working. For an artificer, I'd say he cannot attempt to emulate the prerequisites if he's away, so he can't retry the emulation check if he needs to.

byronhicks

First Post
I'm a little slow, and Living Eberron is the first PbP I've ever played on enworld.org. So under the LEW crafting rules, Johanel (Wiz1) wants to craft a scroll of Magic Missile by himself:

The total cost would be:

2.5 Craft points (25GP (market cost) * 10%)
12.5 GP of material components
1 XP

And I would have the scroll right now. Impossible now, because my character has 0XP and only 2.8GP, but this was just an example.

Is my math correct, or am I missing something?

Knight Otu

First Post
byronhicks said:
I'm a little slow, and Living Eberron is the first PbP I've ever played on enworld.org. So under the LEW crafting rules, Johanel (Wiz1) wants to craft a scroll of Magic Missile by himself:

The total cost would be:

2.5 Craft points (25GP (market cost) * 10%)
12.5 GP of material components
1 XP

And I would have the scroll right now. Impossible now, because my character has 0XP and only 2.8GP, but this was just an example.

Is my math correct, or am I missing something?
There are no fractional Craft points, so the craft point cost is 2, since you always round down unless told otherwise. For Craft points, a minimum of 1 points applies. Otherwise correct, though.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
Actually the homunculus specifically states that it takes over the responsibility of time, allowing the master to adventure while it continues working.

So, no, the master doesn't have to be there each day.

Check out the ECS, page 285. It lays it out quite clearly overriding the section on crafting magic items.
It's the box that Erekose quoted, right? That doesn't state that it overrides the general text, just that the homunculus provides the time. We'd have to infer something like what KO did--that the spell slot or emulate ability became inactive and the homunculus somehow gained it.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
It's the box that Erekose quoted, right? That doesn't state that it overrides the general text, just that the homunculus provides the time. We'd have to infer something like what KO did--that the spell slot or emulate ability became inactive and the homunculus somehow gained it.
Its confusing because it is ambiguous---earlier in the description it states "the master must meet (or emulate) all the prerequisites to create the item normally" and then later sates "the master spends 1 hour initiate the process, channeling spell prequisistes into the dedicated wright... He may then leave, allowing the wright to carry the process to completion".

"Normally" suggests emulation/casting every day as "normal," just leaving the time spend to be free; however, the second half can be seen as contradicting itself.

I am not sure how the loss/non-loss of one spell access a day would effect LEB, but I am not fully up to speed on the Craft rules yet. I would interpret as "emulate/cast once at the beginning and none afterwards" in a FtF game.

IcyCool

First Post
stonegod said:
"the master spends 1 hour initiate the process, channeling spell prequisistes into the dedicated wright...

That seems to imply that the all of the spell prerequisites need to supplied up front. So if the item will take 3 days to complete, and requires the casting of a particular spell each day to craft it, then the master would have to cast the spell 3 times into the wright up front, at which point the spell prerequisites have been met and the wright spends the time.

Remove ads