Taking combat off the grid, who has written rules?
+ Log in or register to post

Taking combat off the grid, who has written rules?

While most issues that crop up can be dealt with by prior experience with wargames, a dose of common sense and just being reasonable, does anybody have some typed rules their group uses for running combats by tape measure and ruler?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

On a Persian carpet on a certain Island in the South Pacific....
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block green slime

Friend+
    But you don't need any typed up rules to remove the grid at all.

I run gridless, and have not had any difficulty whatsoever.

The miniature must a base equal to its "space". Movement is measured from the front of the base. Any area spell effect that has the base within "range" affects the character.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Eltharon

Friend+
    I agree with Green Slime. 1"=5 feet works fine. This is the actual size of the "standard" DnD grid, so any templates you may have sould work as well.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Chimera

Friend+
    When I first changed over to v3.0, I bought a large (3'x4.5') white board that I used with older minis, at a scale of 10' per inch.

Haven't used it since that last game, but I keep seriously thinking about going to it for my new game, using new minis and the 5' per inch scaling. Considering how my regular host uses a battlemat that doesn't react well to dry erase and I own a ton of dry erase markers in different colors, it's becoming attractive. Besides, the freeform aspect really appeals to me.

For winding movement, cut bits of wire or string to the appropriate lengths. 20' movement = 4" string. 30' move = 6" string. Lay it out where your character is moving, if not in a straight line. Or just guestimate, if you're fine with that.

8" paper plate = great fireball/etc template.
    4" cardboard (bar type) drink coaster = good 10' radius template.

I don't allow 'exact' placement so as to touch as many figs as possible (mainly because I hate having players take so long to do it) AND I give "barely touched" opponents fairly good bonuses to their saves, and maybe even "they saved, so they were not affected", if I think that the player is being especially eggregious in the minutae of his spell placement. I started doing that because I had a guy who would insist on standing over the white board for the longest time, trying to 'place' his spells very precisely. Heck, for a time I insisted that he drop the template from at least 4" above the white board. But that got hard on the figs.

Oh that kinda guy is easy to deal with. I just give him a 5 second countdown to place the spell. If he doesn't, then the spell fizzles.

+ Log in or register to post

Quick Reply Quick Reply