D&D 3E/3.5 Wild Magic (from 2E - 3.5 E)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Hi there!

I'm looking to expand on wild magic as we know it in 3E. do you want to help? :)

I want to rework in some things from 2E, especially the unconverted stuff from the old Tome of Magic. some of those wild magic spells can be redone as metamagic feats, while others could always be used as just spells. Maybe there were some wild magic-appropriate magic items as well.

I'm probably going to make some use of the mages Hornung and Nahal as well.

How much was wild magic developed beyond the 2E ToM? I know it was present in the FR as well, but was it expanded in any other 2E books? Were there any additional wild magic spells in the 2E Spell Compendiums perhaps?

ElectricDragon

Explorer
There are no additional Wild Mage spells in the 2e Spell Compendiums. AFAIK, there were no new wild magic spells made at all. IMC, we added a few; but that has been so long ago that I am unsure of what they did, much less what their name or level was.

If I remember correctly, it seems one worked similar to bag of tricks to summon something, and another allowed summoned creatures to gain a surge with a successful attack (the successful surge also ended the summon spell). There were a few others but I can't recall even vague descriptions of them.

You are welcome to use these ideas if you wish. Sorry, I was not more help.

Ciao
Dave

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
so, there were no new wild magic spells in 2E outside of the Tome of Magic, you're saying?

ElectricDragon

Explorer
I don't recall any; but I did not buy every 2e suppliment that came out (about 70-80% of them I did buy, though). Wild magic was very popular in our campaigns and everyone wanted to try their stab at playing one. So I was always on the lookout for more info on them. The closest thing I recall was FR's wild magic zones.

I did recall vague details about another of our campaign's spells though: "Cra"-Zina's Surging Hand (the only spell she ever made up), it was a form of Spectral Hand with a surge touch attack.

Ciao
Dave

P.S. As far as magic items go, wild mages could use any normal magic item with random effects and had a 50% chance of controlling its output. Wand of Wonder (now Rod of Wonder), Bag of Tricks, Deck of Illusions, Deck of Many Things (now a minor artifact), and probably several others I can't think of.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases