Spell: Critical Strike (Aproved)

Patlin

Explorer
Complete Adventurer and Spell Compendium

1st level wiz/sorc and assassin spell. As a swift action, add +1d6 sneak attack damage, double threat range, and +4 to crit confirmation to your attacks for 1 round.

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
I think this spell is one of the neat ones from CA and then later SC that gives some interesting extension of combat abilities.

Unless someone sees something game breaking that I am missing, (waits for RA to get here), I'll probably vote it in.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I seem to remember that the crit doubling fails to stack with other crit doublings. If so, this spell is extremely powerful but fails slightly to be overpowered due to the fact that it is built for gish classes.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yeah, me too. I'm ready to vote yes on it after discussion, though. It's interesting to me that (other than the ones I called out as definite nos for me), it seems like people are proposing the most controversial spells first :lol: I like this one--I think it is a good example of balancing the Swift casting time and its effect, unlike Wraithstrike, for instance.

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
I seem to remember that the crit doubling fails to stack with other crit doublings.

That's correct. So is this one prone to controversy, or were you referring to another one?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
That's correct. So is this one prone to controversy, or were you referring to another one?
Oh, I'm not going to start up controversy on this spell in particular, it's just that the lines of spells with the most controversy are the Swift spells (mostly from CV) and the new low level dimensional movement spells (and add to that the PHII Abjurer substitution ability as well to Dimension Door as an Immediate Action).

Comparatively, I think the entire book of Complete Arcane has not a single controversial spell (that I can recall).

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, I'm not going to start up controversy on this spell in particular, it's just that the lines of spells with the most controversy are the Swift spells (mostly from CV) and the new low level dimensional movement spells (and add to that the PHII Abjurer substitution ability as well to Dimension Door as an Immediate Action).

Comparatively, I think the entire book of Complete Arcane has not a single controversial spell (that I can recall).
Aren't the orb spells in CA? :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases