22  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
23  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
24  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
25  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
26  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

Patlin

Explorer
Round 4 Continues
One of the monsters appears to strike at Talbin, triggering readiead actions from Rowan, Brother E, Boog and Talbin.

Roll the attacks! :)

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
One of the monsters appears to strike at Talbin, triggering readiead actions from Rowan, Brother E, Boog and Talbin.

Roll the attacks! :)
Boog heard Talbin gasp behind him, and whirled to find one of the creatures attacking his companion. "No sense wasting Power to convince it to do what it's already doing", he thought as he continued to hold his Power. Instead, he unhooked his crossbow from his belt, and fitted a bolt to the string.[sblock=OoC: ]Um, I don't think Boog's readied action triggered. He was only going to manifest if a creature attacked him, personally. Recall that he planned to use Aversion to get the creatures to, at worst, attack someone else in the party. That way he wouldn't be fending off all three of them at once (who seem to have taken a liking to him).

What I want for Boog to do is simultaneously keep a readied action (manifest Aversion) in reserve while loading his crossbow, with the undestanding that if a creature attacks, the power goes off and the crossbow doesn't get loaded. If that doesn't fit the RAW (and it's been a while since I checked the "readying an action" rule), Boog will load the crossbow while Talbin and the others deal with the beastie. If another creature appears and attacks Boog while he's loading, oh well...maybe go to Total Defense for the rest of this round.

At any rate, he's not going to manifest Aversion on a creature that's attacking Talbin.[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Boogs readied action has a more selective trigger than I realized, and so doesn't go off. Boog can take a move action and ready an action, but he can't do a full either/or. I'd have to check what sort of crossbow Boog has and what type of action it takes to load it...

El Jefe

First Post
Patlin said:
ooc: Boogs readied action has a more selective trigger than I realized, and so doesn't go off. Boog can take a move action and ready an action, but he can't do a full either/or. I'd have to check what sort of crossbow Boog has and what type of action it takes to load it...
[sblock=OoC Rules Discussion]Ok, I got off my butt and looked it up. Readying an action is a standard action in and of itself. So, on Turn 3, Boog readied his action and did little else. On Turn 4, if the trigger goes off before his initiative, he manifests the power and nothing happens with the crossbow. But, on Turn 4, if he gets back to his initiative (the end of the order, I believe) and the trigger hasn't gone off yet, then he gets his choice: either ready the action again as another standard action, or take some other action (he has his full turn to do so). So, whether or not the crossbow is a light or heavy (it's a heavy, btw, which takes a full round action to load) doesn't matter...if the readied action goes off, he doesn't get to load it, and if the readied action doesn't go off, he gets to choose what to do.

And, given that, if he is not attacked and a creature is apparent, then he will load the crossbow. If he is not attacked and no creature is apparent on Boog's initiative, he'll ready the action (manifesting Aversion) for Turn 5.[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: If your initiative order comes up again without using the readied action, that means it's your next turn. At that point, I would agree that you could do whatever you would like without regard to the readied action from the previous round. Is that what you are saying?

Remove ads