Strahd's "RttToEE" - [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
Quick rules question. Miltiades has an everburning torch, essentially a rod with continual flame on it. Continual flame counters and dispels equal or lower level darkness spells and darkness spells counter and dispel equal or lower level light spells. I'm not sure exactly how this happens. Does the everburning torch dispel every darkness spell it comes in contact with? Will the enchantment go away if it comes into contact with a darkness effect? Does a darkness effect have to instead be used as a targeted dispel that automatically works? If it must be targetted what happens when the torch and a darkness effect overlap?

Voadam said:
Quick rules question. Miltiades has an everburning torch, essentially a rod with continual flame on it. Continual flame counters and dispels equal or lower level darkness spells and darkness spells counter and dispel equal or lower level light spells. I'm not sure exactly how this happens. Does the everburning torch dispel every darkness spell it comes in contact with? Will the enchantment go away if it comes into contact with a darkness effect? Does a darkness effect have to instead be used as a targeted dispel that automatically works? If it must be targetted what happens when the torch and a darkness effect overlap?

Everburning Torch does NOT dispel darkness as far as I know.
It is like a simple regular torch except:
1) The fire burns for ever and the stick never consume.
2) It is a magical fire, producing light only and cannot burn things, thus if you pass your
hand or flammable substance above it, nothing happens

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Strahd_Von_Zarovich said:
2) It is a magical fire, producing light only and cannot burn things, thus if you pass your
It generally does not dispel it, but temporarily cancels out darkness (though not 3rd level or higher darkness spells).

Voadam

Legend
Strahd_Von_Zarovich said:

So what happens when it comes into contact with darkness effects? Is the torchlight covered by the darkness but returns after leaving the darkness?

Everburning Torch
This otherwise normal torch has a continual flame spell cast upon it. An everburning torch clearly illuminates a 20-foot radius and provides shadowy illumination out to a 40-foot radius.

Continual Flame
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Effect: Magical, heatless flame
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A flame, equivalent in brightness to a torch, springs forth from an object that you touch. The effect looks like a regular flame, but it creates no heat and doesn’t use oxygen. A continual flame can be covered and hidden but not smothered or quenched.

Light spells counter and dispel darkness spells of an equal or lower level.

Material Component
You sprinkle ruby dust (worth 50 gp) on the item that is to carry the flame.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Well according to the Daylight spell, it says on that regard:

Daylight brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect. (Emphasis mine).

Which would lead me to believe that a light effect and a darkness effect in the same area would cancel each other out (as stonegod mentioned). Thus, the brightness condition would be whatever other light sources (if any) would be in the area. If there was a sunrod or lantern also being used, then that becomes the light source for the area. If the only light we were using was from an Everburning Torch, then we'd be in the dark as though we had no light source, and no spell effects were present.

All are right:

* Light spells counter and dispel darkness spells of an equal or lower level.
* Light effect and a darkness effect in the same area would cancel each other out.

Recruit

I'll give it a shot and I'll try to recruit someone to play Lenuran or an equal character that will pop instead of Lenuran and we shall say the gnome did never exist.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I hope Korbryn doesn't get petrified again...there won't be anyone for me to PC while my companions try to rescue me! :D

Remove ads