New Double Scimitar Feats

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Double Scimitar Feats

Double Scimitar Finesse [General, Fighter]
    Prereqs: BAB+4, WF(Double scimitar), WS (double scimitar) or Bladebearer of the Valenar, TWF, Dex 15
    Benefits: You may add your dex modifier instead of your STR modifier to your attacks with a double scimitar.
    Valenar Bladestorm (General, Fighter)
    Prereqs: BAB +1O, WF (double scimitar), WS (double scimitar) or Bladebearer of the Valenar, TWF, ITWF, IC (double scimitar), Dex 19
    Benefit: On a critical hit with a double scimitar, you may make another attack at the same bonus.see post 8
    Last edited by EternalSword; Sunday, 6th August, 2006 at 10:21 PM. Reason: revisions further down thread

Supressive Overlord
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Bront
    My communities:

Initial Reaction:
    The first one isn't bad, but a Scimitar isn't a finesse weapon either, so I'd be inclined to say no.

Second Feat, What is IC? Improved Critical? While I think it's an interesting idea, with the high threat range, it seems almost abusive.

For both, I don't like requiring either Bladebearer or Weapon Specialization. At that point you're limiting it to Fighters or Valenar Elves, and there's realy no reason to.

Well, the idea came after I noticed how high the dex requirements get for ITWF and its derivitives and thought it was kind of odd that attacks were still strength-based. Also, there is precident for finessing scimitars. The dervish from CW gets that at first level.

Would the second one be better if it was 1/round?

Ok, i'll pull the WS/Bladebearer requirement
    Last edited by EternalSword; Sunday, 6th August, 2006 at 08:23 PM.

revisions

Prereqs: BAB+4, WF(Double scimitar), TWF, Dex 15
    Benefits: You may add your dex modifier instead of your STR modifier to your attacks with a double scimitar.
    Prereqs: BAB +1O, WF (double scimitar), TWF, ITWF, IC (double scimitar), Dex 19
    Benefit: Once a round, on a critical hit with a double scimitar, you may make another attack at the same bonus as the critical hit.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore dontpunkme
    I don't really see the need for the first feat at all. I found the most effective way to maximize damage w/ my TWF double-scimitar user was scout8/fighter1/dervish4. With just standard feats my 13th level character often does 100 hp damage/round. Unfortunately Its absolutely useless against creatures not subject to criticsl hits and profoundly useless when said creatures also have damage reduction (elementals). Any thing else is pretty much mince-meat. That second feat would be nice, but if usable more than 1/round it would get out of hand very quickly. I've just had too many rounds where I dropped 4 crit bombs successfully.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Rystil Arden
    The second feat is not really fair even when limited to once a round--on most rounds it is going to trigger (16% chance not to trigger with 5 attacks, which you're certainly going to have by the time you have this feat) so it is basically like gaining an extra attack at the price of a feat, which is overpowered IMO (not to mention that it gives the extra attack to you during an attack sequence when you've already gained a big advantage by critting).

How about this: After every successful confirmation for a critical hit with your primary head of the double-scimitar, you may choose to forgo the critical and just do regular damage in order to make an attack with the secondary head. This ability is *very* useful against enemies immune to crits.
    Last edited by Rystil Arden; Sunday, 6th August, 2006 at 08:59 PM.

That sounds good, Rystil.

Dontpunkme, I was refering to attack rolls, not damage, and GTWF requires 19 dex, so the first does help.

Revisions

Benefit: Whenever you confirm a critical with a double scimitar, you may choose to forgo the extra damage and make an additional attack with the opposite head.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Rystil Arden
    That's not quite what I proposed--I limited it to crits with the main head giving off-head attacks for a few reasons, including disallowing an infinite chain of hits and making the trade-off less of a no-brainer (trading crit damage on the off-hand for an on-hand attack is a no-brainer).

Revised again

Benefit: Whenever you confirm a critical with the main head of a double scimitar, you may choose to forgo the extra damage and make an additional attack with the off-hand head.

Judges, your thoughts/votes?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast