New Double Scimitar Feats

EternalSword

First Post
Double Scimitar Finesse [General, Fighter]
Prereqs: BAB+4, WF(Double scimitar), WS (double scimitar) or Bladebearer of the Valenar, TWF, Dex 15
Benefits: You may add your dex modifier instead of your STR modifier to your attacks with a double scimitar.
Valenar Bladestorm (General, Fighter)
Prereqs: BAB +1O, WF (double scimitar), WS (double scimitar) or Bladebearer of the Valenar, TWF, ITWF, IC (double scimitar), Dex 19
Benefit: On a critical hit with a double scimitar, you may make another attack at the same bonus.
see post 8

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Initial Reaction:
The first one isn't bad, but a Scimitar isn't a finesse weapon either, so I'd be inclined to say no.

Second Feat, What is IC? Improved Critical? While I think it's an interesting idea, with the high threat range, it seems almost abusive.

For both, I don't like requiring either Bladebearer or Weapon Specialization. At that point you're limiting it to Fighters or Valenar Elves, and there's realy no reason to.

EternalSword

First Post
Well, the idea came after I noticed how high the dex requirements get for ITWF and its derivitives and thought it was kind of odd that attacks were still strength-based. Also, there is precident for finessing scimitars. The dervish from CW gets that at first level.

Would the second one be better if it was 1/round?

Ok, i'll pull the WS/Bladebearer requirement

Last edited:

EternalSword

First Post
revisions

Prereqs: BAB+4, WF(Double scimitar), TWF, Dex 15
Benefits: You may add your dex modifier instead of your STR modifier to your attacks with a double scimitar.
Prereqs: BAB +1O, WF (double scimitar), TWF, ITWF, IC (double scimitar), Dex 19
Benefit: Once a round, on a critical hit with a double scimitar, you may make another attack at the same bonus as the critical hit.

dontpunkme

First Post
I don't really see the need for the first feat at all. I found the most effective way to maximize damage w/ my TWF double-scimitar user was scout8/fighter1/dervish4. With just standard feats my 13th level character often does 100 hp damage/round. Unfortunately Its absolutely useless against creatures not subject to criticsl hits and profoundly useless when said creatures also have damage reduction (elementals). Any thing else is pretty much mince-meat. That second feat would be nice, but if usable more than 1/round it would get out of hand very quickly. I've just had too many rounds where I dropped 4 crit bombs successfully.

Rystil Arden

First Post
The second feat is not really fair even when limited to once a round--on most rounds it is going to trigger (16% chance not to trigger with 5 attacks, which you're certainly going to have by the time you have this feat) so it is basically like gaining an extra attack at the price of a feat, which is overpowered IMO (not to mention that it gives the extra attack to you during an attack sequence when you've already gained a big advantage by critting).

How about this: After every successful confirmation for a critical hit with your primary head of the double-scimitar, you may choose to forgo the critical and just do regular damage in order to make an attack with the secondary head. This ability is *very* useful against enemies immune to crits.

Last edited:

EternalSword

First Post
Revisions

Benefit: Whenever you confirm a critical with a double scimitar, you may choose to forgo the extra damage and make an additional attack with the opposite head.

Rystil Arden

First Post
That's not quite what I proposed--I limited it to crits with the main head giving off-head attacks for a few reasons, including disallowing an infinite chain of hits and making the trade-off less of a no-brainer (trading crit damage on the off-hand for an on-hand attack is a no-brainer).

EternalSword

First Post
Revised again

Benefit: Whenever you confirm a critical with the main head of a double scimitar, you may choose to forgo the extra damage and make an additional attack with the off-hand head.

Judges, your thoughts/votes?

Remove ads