[Return to Brookmere] - Idylls of the Rat King

Melkor

Explorer
How many of you remember this D&D Endless Quest book ?

brookmere.jpg

It was actually my introduction to Dungeons & Dragons, and what I always think of when I thin: "Old School", and the feeling I would like to capture with my games.

Anyway, I have a copy of the original book somewhere, and was thinking about setting up a campaign similar to the events in the story...As I recall, an elven king and a group of elves had been driven out of Brookmere by a group of humanoids lead by a Wererat. In the story, and elven prince returns to Brookmere.

That said, I'm wondering if the Dungeon Crawl Classic - Idylls of the Rat King (with the serial numbers filed off), might make a great adventure to base the scenario off of.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I never had this one.

I had one with some ice caves and a blink lynx. . . don't remember the name.

I also had a Star Frontiers one. . .

But yeah, my early D&D experiences were definitely colored by these books and I kept them secreted away from my friends so I could steal ideas from them when I ran D&D games. :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Idylls of the Rat King concerns a human (I think) mining town, goblins and wererats in a mine. The sequel involves slavers in an urban center.

Sounds pretty different from the book (which I think I recall). Having said that, there's nothing to say that Brookmere wasn't conquered by a rat prince of that line.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I remember those endless quest books! They were fun, though fairly "thin" compared to their Fighting Fantasy cousins.

There also were "Lovequest" books which were like endless quest, but involved heavy romance and the lead character was always female. Sort of Harlequin Romance meets D&D.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Idylls of the Rat King concerns a human (I think) mining town, goblins and wererats in a mine. The sequel involves slavers in an urban center.

Sounds pretty different from the book (which I think I recall). Having said that, there's nothing to say that Brookmere wasn't conquered by a rat prince of that line.
True, and true. I'm running Idylls for my group right now. (I'm not sure about the sequel yet as I don't have it, but I intend to get it.)

Voadam

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
It's on my bookshelf :)

-Hyp.

It was on mine but I believe I donated all mine to my library a couple months ago. I remember nothing about this one except that it had a green cover.

With some tweaking, I think it could work. Though, some of the back story with the creatures might be adversely affected and require a fair amount of re-fitting.

satori01

First Post
It was a pretty good one, you had a talking magic item that gave advice, I think an amulet but I am not positive about it.
Reclaiming ancestral lands I think would be a great initial campaign arc. Of course make the Wererat leader be the pawn of a Fiendish Green Dragon intent on increasing his forest kingdom :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases