[Updated: 21 August 2006] Your souvenir sword may save you some day

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
http://www.startribune.com/467/story/604366.html

A link to a story about robbery victims, outnumbered, who struggled with burglars. A fellow's souvenir samurai sword, purchased in Germany, saved the day... and one would-be burglar ended up leaving his fingers behind. :eek:

[Edit 8/12/2006] See further down for update.

[Edit 8/23/20060 My most recent post below has a link to a fellow who lives in the apartment where the fight took place. He has photos of the apartment halls, walls, and windows... It's not pretty.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Who said it was particularly sharp?

Heck- I bought a fantasy dagger with an edge so dull I could grasp its blade tightly in my hand...but I drew that same dagger across my palm and gave myself a nice little cut!

Now imagine swinging a 3' blade of similar quality at someone in anger... Damage will be done!

As for why they sold them in Germany, you could ask the same question about why they sell them in America.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If it cut off someone's finger, it had to be sharp. Powerful golf swing or not. I've got one that is for display purposes, and not only would it not cut a finger off, if you hit anything with it it would probably bend in two.

And I can see it being sold in Germany, just not as a souvenir. I mean, souvenir implies it's sold at a gift shop or something like that, not a weapon store or martial arts supply store or somesuch.

Dioltach

Legend
On a side note, when did "burglarize" become a word? In fact, when did it become OK to make a verb by sticking "ize" on the end? Whatever happened to just learning the proper verb (in this case, "burgle")?

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
Dannyalcatraz said:
As for why they sold them in Germany, you could ask the same question about why they sell them in America.

Because there were American Samurai. I saw The Last Samurai. I know these things! It's true, I tell you!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
trancejeremy said:
If it cut off someone's finger, it had to be sharp.

No, really, it doesn't. Not if the fingers were against a hard object (like a gun).

Think on it - your typical sword spends a lot of time wacking against metal things (other swords and armor), it can't stay sharp for long at all, but it still does its job. With reasonable power behind it, if it is only as sharp as a butterknife, it can take off fingers. Not neatly, but it'll remove them.

Powerful golf swing or not. I've got one that is for display purposes, and not only would it not cut a finger off, if you hit anything with it it would probably bend in two.

It isn't as if all display swords are made of the same stuff. So, this one was made of better steel.

Remove ads