Top Secret?

loki44

Explorer
Ok, we all know that OD&D still has an active following, I'm just wondering if anybody still actually plays any of the old TSR rpgs like Top Secret, Boothill, Gamma World or Gangbusters?

Allandaros

Explorer
I just picked up an old copy of Gamma World and plan on running it at some time. I was tempted to pick up Top Secret, but decided that Alternity would be a better system for running stuff there.

(I know there was an Alternity Gamma World setting, but it just didn't feel as fun.)

Oh, and I think of those four, Gamma World has the biggest following. I've not heard of anyone playing Gangbusters...

Festivus

First Post
I play boothill probably two times a year (the original 1970's edition), once at GenCon, and once when I can corral my brother into playing.

I've thought about breaking out the old Top Secret/SI boxed set. It'd be interesting to see how the world has changed since it came out. We had a lot of fun with that game.

My Gamma World Boxed Set is well-nigh demolished; I haven't dared touch it in a long time. The re-release TSR did of Gamma World in a softcover is in good condition, however.

trollwad

First Post
top secret without the russkies just wouldnt be as fun. Course you could probably sub in islamic terror groups and Dr No types as the enemy

sydbar

Explorer
If i could find a group i would love to play top secret or gamma world, when i was a kid i had fun with both, but the group i'm currently in like to play execpt for 1 player who doesn't like it, and since he's important to the group, we don't play it, but if he can't play we sometimes play it.

loki44

Explorer
trollwad said:
top secret without the russkies just wouldnt be as fun. Course you could probably sub in islamic terror groups and Dr No types as the enemy

Yeah, Top Secret had that whole Bond/Cold War thang goin' for it. It's old enough now that the setting is no longer "modern". Think about how much technology has changed since the early 80's. I'd love to play Top Secret again, to capture that era, but I'm not really interested in any up-to-date versions.

I guess in starting this thread I was wondering why OD&D has kept a relatively large fan-base whereas the others have largely fizzled out and/or moved on to newer editions/incarnations without all of the edition war stuff. The answer most likely lies in the fact that these games never really had a huge following to begin with.

kenobi65

First Post
We played Top Secret occasionally, until a few years ago, when we really just got tired of the incredible amount of accounting required (esp. when you were "leveling up" a character). I think we all liked the genre, disliked the mechanics. We then tried Spycraft for a while, but the "gearing up" part of missions was a grind, too.

Oh, I miss Top Secret (pre SI). But yeah, little mini-cameras and communications watches aren't so far-fetched any more. I also wish I had gamer friends who could get into a game of Gangbusters. Myaaah. Sheeee.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases