Travelling on the cheap.

Someone

Adventurer
Hello! Now that I´ve finished my studies (now a chemical engineer) I plan to go abroad at least a couple weeks, see another bit of the world, and practice my English.

I´m thinking on visiting an English speaking country. So far the candidates are Canada, US, British isles and Ireland. The last two had the advantage of not needing to cross the Athlantic, specially important point since as you´d suspect, I don´t have a lot of money. Right now seems that Ireland is winning the race.

Now the question is, what´the best way of visiting a country for two or three weeks and not spend a lot of money? Where to sleep and eat, how to go from point A to point B cheap? What to see? Why am I asking that in a gaming forum? What forum should I use?

Last edited:

Mycanid

First Post
Hmm ... well, when I went to Scotland I already had friends and acquaintances there ... s'about as cheap as you can get that way. But I am assuming you do not have friends or people you know that you could stay with in any of those countries. You might try hostels as a very inexpensive place to stay at. I think Ireland has plenty of those.

In terms of getting around, you can usually get a one month pass on trains or buses in countries for a flat price. That way you just go whenever you need to go. :)

Places to go? Ah - that depends on your tastes and where you are going. If it was ME going to Ireland I would visit the western and northwestern parts of the island ... I would especially try to get out to the Skelligs of the southwest corner of the island, aklthough that would be real hard.

In terms of fellow ennies who live in Ireland, you might try to look up AKRASIA. He might be able to give you some good ideas, and seems a nice fellow.

Hope this helps a little!

awayfarer

First Post
You can save a little money on food by taking a backpack of stuff that doesn't go bad quickly. In my last cross country trip I took a bunch of nuts and dehydrated fruit. I probably had that for about 2/3's of my meals over the entire trip. Admittedly you get tired of it after a while, but it's cheaper than eating out every day. :)

If you end up visiting the U.S. and have time, I'd reccomend checking out the southwest (Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah) it's really beautiful out there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases