Gen Con Reports?

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Does anyone have any stories to tell from this year's Gen Con? Buy any cool new books? Hang out with any cool people? Any big news that hasn't been reported yet? Play any fun games or witness anything cool? I couldn't make it this year, but I want to hear about it!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I posted a two-part GenCon report (rave) at Monte Cook's message boards. I won't repeat it here, but you can read it here.

JediSoth

It was my favorite GenCon ever, if for no other reason that it was my first GenCon ever. :lol:

I really enjoyed meeting all the folks from ENWorld, putting names to faces (or avatars, I guess). I worked the Ennies booth first thing Thursday and got to at least say 'Howdy'. Truly a great group of people we have here, and I espcially like to thank The Universe and Queen D and Cthulu's Librarian for 'babysitting' me my first day there so I didn't feel totally lost.

Lots of great pick-up games, and I got to play some stuff I've not played before. I got to try out Arcana Evolved decided I really do like the magic system. Got to play True 20 and decided I really don't like it for fantasy (although it works well for M&M). And that was no reflection on the DM for the scenario, who did a fantastic job -- it's just that True 20 isn't my cup of tea, I guess. I got to play Spycraft 2.0 with a couple of the creators, too, which was pretty neat. Especially when they started arguing over the rules :D

I picked up Artesia, and I'm pretty impressed so far. It got nominated for a bunch of Ennies, so I stopped by the booth the next day and talked with the guys and ended up liking it enough to buy it. I also grabbed Expeditious Retreats 'Silk Road', which is another in a long line of superlative books for wannabe world-builders, and got to talk with Suzi Yee and Joe Browning for a few minutes.

I had a wonderful time, and I can't wait till next year!

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I had a wonderful time. I've been going to the con since, ahem, 1976 (oh, I'm feelin' old--in my defense, I was very young that first year) and this was the best pure con experience I had. Good customer service from the Gen Con staff: I received everything in my pre-reg envelope except my badge and they handled it for me.

Good service from the restaurants in the area, nice hotel managers who helped us out quite a bit.

Another great opportunity to meet and talk with people from "the industry" and see that, once again, they're still great people. In particular, Rich Burlew from the Order of the Stick is a great guy.

It was also nice to see that, despite what we've been hearing about the death of the industry, that this was a huge rip-roarin' time. Lots of new stuff from my traditional favorite companies and also the usual batch of brand new companies at Gen Con for the first time.

Now I haven't said anything about the actual games, but I played in some GREAT games this year. Special props go out to the Savage Worlds team, who really know how to run games at a con.

So yes, you might say I had a good time. If this is the direction the con is heading, I'd recommend it to anyone that was thinking of going. I couldn't say that without hesitation after previous years in Indy, but I can now. Well done, everyone!

--Steve

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Holy Friggin Crap!

I can hardly express how awesome this year's GenCon was. I will say that just before I went, I had a brief moment of wondering if there was any possible way that this year could compare with how completely amazing last year was.

Not. A. Problem!

I had more fun, with more people, playing more games, with more laughs than last year and I honestly loved every single second of it. I am utterly exhausted and yet totally buzzing with joy and excitement.

You people ROCK!!

More later when I'm less incoherent from sleep deprivation...

Treebore

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
It was my favorite GenCon ever, if for no other reason that it was my first GenCon ever. :lol:

I really enjoyed meeting all the folks from ENWorld, putting names to faces (or avatars, I guess). I worked the Ennies booth first thing Thursday and got to at least say 'Howdy'. Truly a great group of people we have here, and I espcially like to thank The Universe and Queen D and Cthulu's Librarian for 'babysitting' me my first day there so I didn't feel totally lost.

Lots of great pick-up games, and I got to play some stuff I've not played before. I got to try out Arcana Evolved decided I really do like the magic system. Got to play True 20 and decided I really don't like it for fantasy (although it works well for M&M). And that was no reflection on the DM for the scenario, who did a fantastic job -- it's just that True 20 isn't my cup of tea, I guess. I got to play Spycraft 2.0 with a couple of the creators, too, which was pretty neat. Especially when they started arguing over the rules :D

I picked up Artesia, and I'm pretty impressed so far. It got nominated for a bunch of Ennies, so I stopped by the booth the next day and talked with the guys and ended up liking it enough to buy it. I also grabbed Expeditious Retreats 'Silk Road', which is another in a long line of superlative books for wannabe world-builders, and got to talk with Suzi Yee and Joe Browning for a few minutes.

I had a wonderful time, and I can't wait till next year!

So did I meet you when I came there to find Jason and find out about my ENNIES auctions?

My favorite occurrance? The "saviour" of D&D asking me to sit down and talk with him after I came up and just told him how greatful I was for saving it back in the day. That was cool.

Hanging out with the Necromancer crowd and the Troll guys was very cool as well.

Getting my character slaughtered by Patrick Lawinger and playtesting part of "Sword of Air" were also highlights. Plus Michael DMing us through parts of his upcoming "Shades of Grey". Then Case CKing us through parts of his "Highlands" module.

Whisperfoot said:
Hang out with any cool people?
Yep. Win a "Dream Date" charity auction, and you get to hang out with lots of cool people. :)

Whisperfoot said:
Play any fun games or witness anything cool?
Midnight Zombie Madness was an absolute blast. 60 players and 1 DM running All Flesh Must Be Eaten. This year's game was an "Oscar Night" setting, so we all played Hollywood Celebrities. I was Jake Gyllenhall; other celebrities at my table were Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and Ashton Kutcher. We didn't kill any zombies, but the game ended with our movie "Brokeback Zombie: The Quest for Malaysian Ass" winning Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Ass. Yes, it was silly and as over-the-top as possible. But a slot that runs from 11 p.m. until 3 a.m. has to keep you awake somehow. ;)

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Treebore said:
My favorite occurrance? The "saviour" of D&D asking me to sit down and talk with him after I came up and just told him how greatful I was for saving it back in the day. That was cool.

Are you referring to Peter Adkison, Ryan Dancey, or Monte Cook? I'd say that all three of them could be considered the saviors of D&D, depending on your perspective.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whisperfoot said:
Are you referring to Peter Adkison, Ryan Dancey, or Monte Cook? I'd say that all three of them could be considered the saviors of D&D, depending on your perspective.

I was wondering the same thing.

fett527

First Post
Tough to put into words what an absolute blast this was. Meeting people from the various boards was just damned cool, I wish I could have been in games with more people and spent more time with more people.

Snippet Highlights from each day:

Thursday- Having dinner with NTLers especailly d20dwarf and yangnome. Then having 2nd dinner with GL and strawberry and a bunch of the artists that had booths at the show. (By the way check out Andy Hopp and Low Life, very cool stuff http://www.andyhopp.com)

Friday- Walked the dealer hall and the highlight there was talking with jgbrowning, Suzy and Klaus (Claudio Pozas) at the XPR booth. The Ennies was great fun, sat down and played one round of Apples to Apples ,which I'd never played before, and won. That was with Old One, reveal, QueenD, The Universe, and others. The awards were much fun and we did heckle Piratecat a couple of times. As far as I'm concerned though he can keep his pants on. What didn't happen Friday night at the Red Garter was not the best time EVAR! And Klaus was not the highlight of what didn't happen. (wink, wink. nudge, nudge)

Saturday- The Halfling Musketeers game was an absolute riot. [heavy French accent]"Roll your heal check, BITCH!!![/heavy French accent] Thank you very much Alenda! Had another big NTL get together and played Keeper's CoC game which was much fun as well.

Sunday- Played in another one of Alenda's games and we were almost killed by a Teddy Bear. Had the pleasure of being in that game with KidCthulu. Sat down and talked with people again, said goodbye and drove home.

Honorable Mentions- Shaking hands and complimenting Monte Cook on Ptolus. Passing Kevin Sorbo in the hallway.

Remove ads