Area Templates & Spell Templates

Onyx

First Post
The chart in the back of the DMG shows us that a 20ft radius looks something like this on a grid.

Fireball-Picture.gif

If we read our DMG (pg 34) it tells us that when using a grid we choose an intersection between squares and count off the radius from that point, then draw a circle... if any square is mostly covered (ie over 50%) then it is affected.

So, instead of what is shown as the commonly accept template, we should have one that looks like this
(forgive the use of MSPaint)

attachment.php

Does anyone have any light they can shed on this matter?

Attachments

• Fireball-Picture.gif
    Fireball-Picture.gif
    128.8 KB · Views: 391
  • Fireball-Picture3.GIF
    Fireball-Picture3.GIF
    126 KB · Views: 1,752

Infiniti2000

First Post
Onyx said:
If we read our DMG (pg 34) it tells us that when using a grid we choose an intersection between squares and count off the radius from that point, then draw a circle... if any square is mostly covered (ie over 50%) then it is affected.
I just read my DMG and it says nothing of the sort.

The PH pg. 175, however, says this, as I quote from the SRD:

SRD said:
Area
Some spells affect an area. Sometimes a spell description specifies a specially defined area, but usually an area falls into one of the categories defined below.

Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection. When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.

You can count diagonally across a square, but remember that every second diagonal counts as 2 squares of distance. If the far edge of a square is within the spell’s area, anything within that square is within the spell’s area. If the spell’s area only touches the near edge of a square, however, anything within that square is unaffected by the spell.
Hopefully, the underlined portion is all the light you need.

zypherillius

First Post
probably wont be of much help

this probably wont help much, but i think the guy inside the 20 foot rad aoe is going to have a bad day if the troll goes before he in initative order.

Onyx

First Post
Not Quite

I misquoted the DMG I'm afraid, I was refering to pg 28 under 'Area Spells'.

"To employ the spell using a grid, the caster needs to designate an intersection of two lines on the grid as the center of the effect. From that intersection, it's easy to measure a radius using the scale on the grid. If you were to draw a circle using the measurements on the grid, with the chosen intersection at the center, then if the majority of a grid square lies within that circle, the square is a part of the spell's area."

To the point of counting our diagonals, if we are counting from an intersection of two lines on a grid, we must follow the idea of the first square being 5', the second being 10' and so on. This was originally a rule devised to account for the fact that diagonals actually are longer than straight shots on a grid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The arguement that a circular effect, such as a fireball, should encompass the entirety of a circle on a grid seems potent to me.

Thus, my arguement that the following must be the correct shape.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fireball-Picture5.GIF
    Fireball-Picture5.GIF
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Fireball-Picture.gif
    Fireball-Picture.gif
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Fireball-Picturecircle.GIF
    Fireball-Picturecircle.GIF
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,090

Gumby

First Post
I've seen the first diagram in a few WotC products. It's the official one, regardless of how they say it should be constructed. However, my group uses the second, because it's rounder and simply looks like a better depiction of a fireball's area.

kreynolds

First Post
While the PHB seems to favor simplicity, therefore a smaller area for a 20-foot fireball, I think the DMG favors the larger area, despite the diagram at the back. The part that convinces me of the DMG favoring a larger area is "if the majority of a grid square lies within that circle, the square is a part of the spell's area". Based on the attached picture, I'd say the larger area is in order.

Attachments

• grid.gif
    grid.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 447

Infiniti2000

First Post
Onyx said:
The arguement that a circular effect, such as a fireball, should encompass the entirety of a circle on a grid seems potent to me.
Perhaps, but the D&D-movement choice is reasonable and is not in error.

Onyx said:
Thus, my arguement that the following must be the correct shape.
Incorrect by the rule I quoted. The attached file is how you count it and shows why those 8 squares you want added are not added in.

Feel free to change the rule to add those 8 squares. The overlay of the circle on the grid seems to support it as a valid estimation.

Attachments

• radius_20ft.jpg
    radius_20ft.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 406

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases