Calculating EL's

Majin Trugeta

First Post
Looking at the chart on Encounter Levels in the DMG it says that 10-12 CR 1 monsters are an EL of 8, and 2 CR 10 monsters are an EL of 12. This is my dilemma how do you add these together to make one full EL? Lets say I have 2 Fire Giants and 12 Gnolls. Thats EL 12 + EL 8. Obviously its not an EL of 20, can someone explain how to do this or point to a page in the DMG or somewhere that explains it better? I can't seem to find it if there is.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
You need to read about the mixed pair entry on that table. In the example you gave you have to "cheat" a little and make it so that it fits the table so CR12+CR8 = El12 or 13

Majin Trugeta

First Post
Ah I see, I actually figured out something similar while going through things again. Instead of looking for 12+8 which there obviously isn't I took the sum of those two number (20) and look on the mixed pair chart for the closest equation that totalled up to 20 and 11+9 did the trick which would make it an EL of 12 like you said. Thanks for the advice :)

bushfire

First Post
Leopold said:
this program is ESSENTIAL! for any conversion. I use this when determing my EL's in modules. It saves lots of time and lots of headaches. Book mark it an love it!

Better yet, use your browser to "save as". The Encounter Calculator is a stand alone html page. Then you can use it even when not connected to the net.

Takeda

First Post
bushfire said:

Better yet, use your browser to "save as". The Encounter Calculator is a stand alone html page. Then you can use it even when not connected to the net.

Not connected to the net? What's that?! :p

Gotta love cable! ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases