Best Archer Build?

Legildur

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
whats improved cover? I cant find it anyplace? I dident think thier were any degrees of cover anymore.
You know, my original response was to agree with you here, until Question posted..... Then I found in PHB p152 "Varying Degrees of Cover": <provides example of peering around a corner or through an arrow slit> "In such situations, the DM can double the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves (to +8 and +4, respectively). <plus some stuff about granting Improved Evasion and bonus to Hide checks>.

Personally, we still use the 3.0 cover rules in our games.

Venator

First Post
We also use a mix of the 3.0 and 3.5 cover rules. We felt it was a poor reflection of the "actual" senario to say either a +4 or a +8. Never anything else.

Mavrik

First Post
Taking 4 levels of Ranger is just woth it for the spells.... Arrow Mind and Hunters Mercy are good spells.

I have an archer and am currently Ranger 5 Rogue 5, with arrow mind I can get into a flank and use my bow for the +3d6 sneak quite often, with some cleve magic arrows (icy bursy etc) then the auto crit from hunters mercy add a nice +2d10 onto the damage, for a nice
1d8+4str+1pbs+1magic+1d6fire+3d6sneak+2d10icyburst not bad for a tumble upto the monster, thought his legs to flank.

Rackhir

Explorer
Mavrik said:
Taking 4 levels of Ranger is just woth it for the spells.... Arrow Mind and Hunters Mercy are good spells.

I have an archer and am currently Ranger 5 Rogue 5, with arrow mind I can get into a flank and use my bow for the +3d6 sneak quite often, with some cleve magic arrows (icy bursy etc) then the auto crit from hunters mercy add a nice +2d10 onto the damage, for a nice
1d8+4str+1pbs+1magic+1d6fire+3d6sneak+2d10icyburst not bad for a tumble upto the monster, thought his legs to flank.

There are a number of ranger spells in Complete Adventurer which are great for archers and "Arrow Mind" is an immediate action which makes it even more useful. I don't think Hunter's Mercy is a 3.5 spell though and it is widely considered broken in any case.

6 levels of ranger with 6 levels of fighter, will get you 2 archery feats (Rapid shot and multi-shot). So you'd only be one feat down, but would gain a LOT more skill points, better skills, spells, an animal compainion, Endurance (lets you sleep in light armor) and two favored enemies one of which you will get +4 on damage against (as well as some other rolls).

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Legildur said:
You know, my original response was to agree with you here, until Question posted..... Then I found in PHB p152 "Varying Degrees of Cover": <provides example of peering around a corner or through an arrow slit> "In such situations, the DM can double the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves (to +8 and +4, respectively). <plus some stuff about granting Improved Evasion and bonus to Hide checks>.

Personally, we still use the 3.0 cover rules in our games.

thanks. I really couldent find it. I dont think its in the srd, and thats why. I ask, becuse i really like peerless archer, and really did want it to be usefull and convert to 3.5. so i am glad thier is varying degrees of cover. It makes for a good clean conversion.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Rackhir said:
I don't think Hunter's Mercy is a 3.5 spell though and it is widely considered broken in any case.
It's in Spell Compendium. It's been changed so that your first hit in the next round is an automatic critical hit.

As for other spells, Champions of Ruin has some rather nifty immediate (swift?) action ranger spells for archers.

Question

First Post
Hunter's mercy seems fairly balanced to me. You spend a standard action to cast it, and only your next hit in the following round is a crit. You can probably pull off the same or more damage if you rapid shot both rounds instead(just like how you can probably get more damage power attacking 2 rounds rather than just casting true strike and power attacking the next).

Its still pretty damn good for an ambush though.

Remove ads