Bard with a whip

Goldmoon

First Post
My new character in my new game is a Bard. I have decided to go whip-crazy in combat. My feats are currently: Combat expertise, Improved Trip, and Improved Disarm. My next two feats will be Weapon Focus: Whip and weapon Finesse. I dont really care about doing damage, I just want to fruatrate my opponents while my party kills them. Any other ideas for a wannabe whip master? BTW, I dont want to become a Lasher, I want to stay Bard all the way, I have way too many role playing Ideas for her. Thank you in advance.

moritheil

First Post
There was a thread on this a while back. A bard with a spell-storing whip is one that does not need to enter melee to heal her friends. ;)

majustismp15

First Post
If it doesn't interfere with your spellcasting, use a locking gauntlet. Althought the whip gives you a +2 to disarm attemps, the -4 for being light AND -4 for being one handed kills the disarms...

Artoomis

First Post
majustismp15 said:
If it doesn't interfere with your spellcasting, use a locking gauntlet. Althought the whip gives you a +2 to disarm attemps, the -4 for being light AND -4 for being one handed kills the disarms...

A whip is NOT "light."

One handed is not -4, you just don't get the +4 for being two-handed.

The +2 applies both to the disarm attempt and the counter-disarm if you fail.

The counter-disarm might not even be allowed if teh Bard is out of reach - that's a DM call.

All in all, a pretty good option.

FalcWP

Explorer
On the plus side, however, a gauntlet would give ready access to a lethal (albeit fairly weak) melee weapon.

Assuming you have a decent dexterity (since you're taking weapon finesse), you should pick up Combat Reflexes. Reach weapon + prone opponents = AoOs galore.

A level or two of Fighter may be worth it for the bonus feats (though certainly not required). If you did take a couple levels of fighter, Improved Shield Bash and a light mithral shield would provide another option for lethal (although, again, weak) damage.

Demoquin

First Post
I am also using a Bard Swashbuckler with a whip. Right now i am dualing a Whip-dagger / Kukri. I have Weapon Finesse, Combat REflexes, Dodge, Mobility for feats ... going Assassin Shadowdancer :)

I cant remember if the whip dagger actually threatens or not. But i think it does. If not, Pick up Imp Unarm Strike, TWF or a spiked guantlet so you will threaten.

How would you rule a trip/disarm attempt from someone that strikes out from stealth/ invis?

Artoomis

First Post
Goldmoon said:
Whips dont threaten sadly.....

Too true.

My DM come up with the following Prestige Class that might work for you (modified, I would think):

Basically, give up spells for some Skill Mastery, cool whip stuff and a "secret" - I still don't know that that is yet! :)

You have to add you own "flavor text" as I do not have a copy of that handy. It was something along the lines of the Legaciers find and retrieve ancient artifacts of Galifar. A sort of "Indiana Jones" thing.

PreReq: Sorry, can't find it. I know it included Bardic Knowledge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip) and Knowledge(History) of 9(?) ranks

Class Skills: All
Skill Points per level: 6
Saving Throws: Fort Poor, Reflex and Willpower Good
BAB: as Bard
May wear light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.
Whip Mastery (Threaten 5' - Does not provoke Attack of Opportunity, Can make Attacks of Opportunity into adjacent squares)
Level 1: Skill Mastery (as Rogue) OR Bardic Music stacks with Bard levels.
Level 2: Free Feat, Weapon Focus, (Whip), Bardic Knowledge stacks with Bard levels, including level 1
Level 3: Skill Mastery (As Rogue); Third Hand (As Lasher: Can use whip as an extension of his arm. Unless otherwise stated, this ability takes the same time as the skill or action it emulates. When picking an object up with a whip (either unattended or on a person), if the object weight in pounds is greater than 20 lbs. the lasher cannot flick it to himself as a free action, this requires a free hand to catch the object and, if no hand is free the object can be dropped in the square of origin, in the lasher's square or any square within reach in front of the lasher. In the case it is heavier than 20 lbs. it takes him a move action to pull it to himself.)
Level 4: Improved Trip and Improved Disarm feats (free feats, but for whip only).
Level 5: Skill Mastery (As Rogue); Secret of the Legaciers (I don't know what this is - it's a SECRET)

You could work on something like that with your DM. Since you already have Improved Trip and Improved Disarm, this seems quite reasonable for giving up spells.

My character has 4 of the 5 levels, so I should know what the "Secret" is before too much longer.

Last edited:

kjenks

First Post
moritheil said:
There was a thread on this a while back. A bard with a spell-storing whip is one that does not need to enter melee to heal her friends. ;)

A Spell Storing weapon must inflict damage to cast its spell, and that won't work most of the time with a whip.

Using the FAQ rules for two-handed disarming, you get a +4 bonus when using a whip two-handed for disarm attacks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases