Will you accept fudging?

How much fudging would you tolerate?

• 10 – I’ll accept constant fudging, all the time.

Votes: 8 3.2%

Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 9 3.6%

Votes: 10 4.0%

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • 5 – I’ll accept occasional fudging.

Votes: 88 34.8%

Votes: 16 6.3%

Votes: 25 9.9%

Votes: 28 11.1%

Votes: 24 9.5%
  • 0 – I won’t no fudging, ever.

Votes: 32 12.6%

Quasqueton

First Post
As a Player (as opposed to as a DM), how often are you willing to accept a DM fudging to save your PC? In the poll, select the highest frequency that you are willing to accept – any more fudging and you would be unhappy.

Assume that you know of the fudging, either at the time it happens or shortly after (soon enough after that it would affect your feeling for the situation).

Quasqueton

ThirdWizard

First Post
It depends on the experience of the DM. A relatively new DM I would be much more accepting in their fudging, because they're just getting the hang of things.

I would probably grow tired of a more experienced DM fudging because they should be able to more accurately predict the outcome of situations. I would worry that the DM doesn't have confidence in my abilities or that they aren't working to balance encounters beforehand and are instead just making things happen as they want it instead of being impartial.

If I know the DM is fudging, it kills the suspsense and I stop caring about the outcome as much.

Gold Roger

First Post
I prefer not to fudge myself as DM or player. It's just more fun for me that way for me.

If a player fugdes I think it shows a bit of lacking faith in the DM, which leaves a bit of a bad tast in my mouth. But in the end where a not very serious beer and pretzels crew with a large percentage of really casual players, so it's really not a big deal and all in good fun. So yeah, as long as no one else is bothered and it doesn't get out of hand, I'll accept fudging.

Jupp

Explorer
I really don't like fudging because you feel that you have been cheated and the feeling of accomplishment is gone. Nothing worse than winning a fight or an encounter due to the "grace" of the DM. If the dice want me to loose (or that my character dies) so be it. That's part of the game. There are better methods than fudging, like luck points, fate cards or whatever.

Vorput

First Post
Yeah... I generally do care if I find out my DM was fudging... cause it sort of cheapens the encounter- it's why I prefer not to find out... a good DM will take you out of action, or force you to withdraw- and make it seem that was how the dice rolled.

I know when I DM I NEVER reveal that I'd fudged a dice roll, unless I was somehow forced to... If a player asks, I always say I let the dice fall as they may.

Vorp

sniffles

First Post
I had to choose "I accept constant fudging" because I have a regular GM who does fudge quite frequently in my experience. He doesn't like to kill PCs. He will always fudge when there is danger of PC death. He will also fudge when there is danger of PCs derailing his plot.

But my preference would be for only occasional fudging. I've never played in a 'let the dice fall where they may' game, so I'm not sure how well that would sit with me. I do like to feel that there is some suspense in the game, but I get very attached to my characters and wouldn't want to worry about losing them to something trivial. If my PC is going to die I'd rather it be while doing something heroic and/or pivotal to the story.

I prefer that the fudging be as inconspicuous as possible, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases