Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 91 123456789101151 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII

Here's the next thread in the Q&A session.

I'll take this opportunity to state formally that I will be a GoH at next year's GenCon, number XL

Peter has also invited Len Lakofka, so Stephen Colbert, take note!

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

I forgot to indicate I wanted email notification to responses to this thread

Cheers,
    Gary

Salutations

Greetings Mr. Gygax!

May this message find you well. I have been an player of Dungeons and Dragons for more than 10 years. Much of what I have observed in the changes through the various editions, materials, and mechanics I have enjoyed and have had many good gamining experiences with others, both as a fellow PC and as a DM. There have also been hick-ups along the way. Certain mechanics could and should be done more thoughtfully, with a closer attention payed toward cross-class equity of powers and abilities, and tools to help players develop a good concept for their character, not what combination of race, skills, spells makes the best number crunching exercise. One concern to me of late has been this tendency to make the DM a robot at the utter mercy of suppliments and dare I say "munchkin-esque" players. Case in point the recent Monster Manual IV insulted not only my expectations of what a monster manual should be, but also my intelligence. Yes as advertized the monsters were "easy" to run, if one enjoyed guessing the hit die type of creatures and hit point break down. They also redundant classed monsters, unmemmorable and made for a generally "underwhelming" experience. This has not been the first instance of this trend. Providing sound mechanics for players to try new options is good. It is what has enabled the game to evolve and thrive. But at times it almost feels like a straight jacket or that as DM's we are being spoon-fed everything. In other words it is as if DM's are no longer encouraged to come up with creative solutions on their own. In some instances when a brave DM peers beyond the margins of text rules, there are the hyper-reactive snapping maws of rules lawyers and other bugbears of free thinking.

My personal taste is that I enjoy the 3E/3.5 mechanic - still it has room for improvement - but I would like to see some sort of return of DM authority, or at least an environment where PCs and DMs can corporately solve problems creatively and imagine fun innovations. Within your enduring gaming experience, have you noticed a similar trend? What do you forsee happening within the current edition that will change this for the better, or not?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore dead
    Hi Gary,

Will there be a map of your Greyhawk city in the new Saga of Old City release?

Thanks

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.

I forgot to indicate I wanted email notification to responses to this thread

Cheers,
    Gary
    that was turned off for awhile - is it back on yet?
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by allencon
    Greetings Mr. Gygax!

May this message find you well. I have been an player of Dungeons and Dragons for more than 10 years. Much of what I have observed in the changes through the various editions, materials, and mechanics I have enjoyed and have had many good gamining experiences with others, both as a fellow PC and as a DM. There have also been hick-ups along the way. Certain mechanics could and should be done more thoughtfully, with a closer attention payed toward cross-class equity of powers and abilities, and tools to help players develop a good concept for their character, not what combination of race, skills, spells makes the best number crunching exercise. One concern to me of late has been this tendency to make the DM a robot at the utter mercy of suppliments and dare I say "munchkin-esque" players. Case in point the recent Monster Manual IV insulted not only my expectations of what a monster manual should be, but also my intelligence. Yes as advertized the monsters were "easy" to run, if one enjoyed guessing the hit die type of creatures and hit point break down. They also redundant classed monsters, unmemmorable and made for a generally "underwhelming" experience. This has not been the first instance of this trend. Providing sound mechanics for players to try new options is good. It is what has enabled the game to evolve and thrive. But at times it almost feels like a straight jacket or that as DM's we are being spoon-fed everything. In other words it is as if DM's are no longer encouraged to come up with creative solutions on their own. In some instances when a brave DM peers beyond the margins of text rules, there are the hyper-reactive snapping maws of rules lawyers and other bugbears of free thinking.

My personal taste is that I enjoy the 3E/3.5 mechanic - still it has room for improvement - but I would like to see some sort of return of DM authority, or at least an environment where PCs and DMs can corporately solve problems creatively and imagine fun innovations. Within your enduring gaming experience, have you noticed a similar trend? What do you forsee happening within the current edition that will change this for the better, or not?
    Thanks for sharing your take on the current D&D system.

Considering what I have heard about the focus of 4E, your desires are likely to go unfulfilled, as I am led to believe support for earlier versions of the game will also be. Of course this is based on spculative essays regarding the matter...

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by dead
    Hi Gary,

Will there be a map of your Greyhawk city in the new Saga of Old City release?

Thanks
    Heh,

Sadly, no, as a detailed one was never done. I winged it from first a one-page map, then a general four-page version. The vast detailed map that was to be around 4' by 6' when completed was never finished, parts of it languishing somewhere in the basement storage areas here.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    that was turned off for awhile - is it back on yet?
    It seems that I am getting notices well today

Of course when I initially tried to access the website this AM it was so slow in responding that I went elsewhere until just recently.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore The Levitator
    Being a relatively new member of this forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to say hey there! I live just down the road from you in Janesville, and started playing D&D in 1979 as part of a school project in my Gifted & Talented program. I haven't had too much exposure to other game systems, but have played 1st ed. through 3.5. Ok, ok, enough of the hero worship.

I really enjoyed your interview on the 2nd D&D movie. Your take on the vancian spellcasting got me thinking. I would love to hear how you feel about the Mana Point style of magic that is increasing in popularity. I haven't used it yet, but it sounds a little bit like how Psionics work. Do you still prefer the Vancian system or do you see promise for a Mana Point system?
    "It's all in your head....."
    James Anthony

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    [QUOTE=The Levitator]
    Trying to get a rise out of me, are you?

Being a relatively new member of this forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to say hey there! I live just down the road from you in Janesville, and started playing D&D in 1979 as part of a school project in my Gifted & Talented program. I haven't had too much exposure to other game systems, but have played 1st ed. through 3.5. Ok, ok, enough of the hero worship.
    As a matter of fact I kived even nearer when we had a place just off County P between Clinton and Beloit. Back in those days the game group that met at my place consisted of Mike Gray, Jim Ward, Luke Gygax, Sonny Savage, Richard and David Kuntz, and Mitch Preston...at various times. As a matter of fact Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, founders of Games Workshop came there and played too, also getting bad cases of poison oak helping me clear those vines from the trees arpound the place. Seems I am pretty well immune to that plant's toxin

I really enjoyed your interview on the 2nd D&D movie. Your take on the vancian spellcasting got me thinking. I would love to hear how you feel about the Mana Point style of magic that is increasing in popularity. I haven't used it yet, but it sounds a little bit like how Psionics work. Do you still prefer the Vancian system or do you see promise for a Mana Point system?
    For the AD&D game I still prefer far and away the "Vancian" system." It makes players with spell-casting characters plan ahead while keeping their PCs from dominating play.

In my newer skill-bundle-based Lejendary Adventure RPG I have "Activation Energy Points." Using the term manna is so anthro-ethnologist 1930s it turns my stomach

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 91 123456789101151 ... LastLast