TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
robertsconley said:
Thanks for the answer. Have you published this map anywhere or planning too. I understand that you would probably have to change some of the name due their appearance in WOG products. But it would interesting to see one of the original campaign map.

Thanks
Rob Conley
:lol:

You ask that of me? He that extemporized most of the time! All I needed for outdoor adventures was my imagination and an atlas to consult in extremis ;)

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:

Somehow I don't believe that was done by the veteran OAD&D audience, for I have received far too many comments panning the Q1 module :uhoh: and it is worth noting that the rating was given for the module combining its predacessors, G 1-3 and D 1-3, not just Q1.

If the Abyss is a maze design on a towel, I am at a loss, completely overwhealmed :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Well, I began playing D&D with the blue covered, Dave Sutherland art-adorned book, often called the "Holmes" edition, and quickly moved on to AD&D as the books were released and became available. I recall my group and I getting hold of Q1 when it was originally released, and it was generally well-thought-of. I thought the end encounter with Lolth was disappointing, but that the rest of the Demonweb was really cool. I liked all the various planes and/or planets that the PCs could travel to. So I guess it's a mixed reaction from me - liked the tangents, didn't think much of the climax.

robertsconley

Adventurer
Ahhh understand perfectly.

Col_Pladoh said:

You ask that of me? He that extemporized most of the time! All I needed for outdoor adventures was my imagination and an atlas to consult in extremis ;)

Cheers,
Gary

I am curious about another thing. What was the deal with the Outdoor Survival Game by AH in the original book. I was reading my copy of the original rules and it occured me that I never picked it and I have no idea what that game was like or what it looked like? For some of the movement rates int he original refered to hexes on the OS map so how big was a OS hex.

Rob Conley

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Well, I began playing D&D with the blue covered, Dave Sutherland art-adorned book, often called the "Holmes" edition, and quickly moved on to AD&D as the books were released and became available. I recall my group and I getting hold of Q1 when it was originally released, and it was generally well-thought-of. I thought the end encounter with Lolth was disappointing, but that the rest of the Demonweb was really cool. I liked all the various planes and/or planets that the PCs could travel to. So I guess it's a mixed reaction from me - liked the tangents, didn't think much of the climax.
Olay...

What more can I say?

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
robertsconley said:
Ahhh understand perfectly.

I am curious about another thing. What was the deal with the Outdoor Survival Game by AH in the original book. I was reading my copy of the original rules and it occured me that I never picked it and I have no idea what that game was like or what it looked like? For some of the movement rates int he original refered to hexes on the OS map so how big was a OS hex.

Rob Conley
The OS board made a perfect generic terrain board, the pond areas being either hamlets or castles. With a check for loss of direction and another for encounter, the whole matter was easy and fun for the players adventuring outdoors.

Cheers,
Gary

seskis281

First Post
Hey Gary,

Just curious - as you start putting out more LA material through TLG will any of it cover genre adaption of the rules? I ask because as I keep looking at the system I see the basis as perfect for a sci-fi game I have in mind.... I always found "class-based" not the best for futuristic models and I'd really like to use the LA base system for what I want to do.

So would it be better for me to wait or start drawing up my homebrew conversion?

Cheers! :)

John

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
seskis281 said:
Hey Gary,

Just curious - as you start putting out more LA material through TLG will any of it cover genre adaption of the rules? I ask because as I keep looking at the system I see the basis as perfect for a sci-fi game I have in mind.... I always found "class-based" not the best for futuristic models and I'd really like to use the LA base system for what I want to do.

So would it be better for me to wait or start drawing up my homebrew conversion?

Cheers! :)

John
I did my best to create the LA game system as one adaptable to many other genres principally through adjustment of Orders, Abilities, and weapons. the Lejendary AsteRogues Fantastical Science genre game is now all but ready for editing, illustration, layout and publication. Only the fourth book, the initial campaign base setting remains in development by Jon Creffield. Meantime, the aspects of what is needed for a hard SF genre game are being looked at.

All that said, feel free to devise such material as you like now to convert the LA FRPG into a set of SF rules.

Cheers,
Gary

seskis281

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I did my best to create the LA game system as one adaptable to many other genres principally through adjustment of Orders, Abilities, and weapons. the Lejendary AsteRogues Fantastical Science genre game is now all but ready for editing, illustration, layout and publication. Only the fourth book, the initial campaign base setting remains in development by Jon Creffield. Meantime, the aspects of what is needed for a hard SF genre game are being looked at.

All that said, feel free to devise such material as you like now to convert the LA FRPG into a set of SF rules.

Cheers,
Gary

My thanks! I will certainly look forward to AsroRogues and I'll probably also adapt my own idea - thinking of calling it Star Riders and having it basically set in a portion of the galaxy once explored and settled by an unknown world of origin (could be Earth, could be something else) and grappling with the loss of central government - I will probably be very influenced by Asimov's Foundation books here.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases