TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Levitator

First Post
Being a relatively new member of this forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to say hey there! I live just down the road from you in Janesville, and started playing D&D in 1979 as part of a school project in my Gifted & Talented program. I haven't had too much exposure to other game systems, but have played 1st ed. through 3.5. Ok, ok, enough of the hero worship.

I really enjoyed your interview on the 2nd D&D movie. Your take on the vancian spellcasting got me thinking. I would love to hear how you feel about the Mana Point style of magic that is increasing in popularity. I haven't used it yet, but it sounds a little bit like how Psionics work. Do you still prefer the Vancian system or do you see promise for a Mana Point system?

rossik

Explorer
mmm....i see....

sorry for asking this, but.... :heh: ...whats c&c?... :heh:

theres a lot of abreviation around here, and i cant find some of them..

is that something about osric?

sorry, its my half orc side :uhoh:

Breakdaddy

First Post
rossik said:
mmm....i see....

sorry for asking this, but.... :heh: ...whats c&c?... :heh:

theres a lot of abreviation around here, and i cant find some of them..

is that something about osric?

sorry, its my half orc side :uhoh:

c&c is Castles & Crusades, a game published by Troll Lord Games (www.trolllord.com) that has a lot of old school feel but uses a modern OGL mechanic as its base.
Troll Lord also publishes a liter version of Gary's own game system, Lejendary Adventure which is also worth a look.

rossik

Explorer
thanks guys!

that helped a lot!

oh, one more thing:

risking to go too far (sorry for that!!), whats the chance of getting an autograph from mr gygax?

there is nothing like a fan club here, in brazil... :(

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
The Levitator said:
Trying to get a rise out of me, are you?

:lol:
Being a relatively new member of this forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to say hey there! I live just down the road from you in Janesville, and started playing D&D in 1979 as part of a school project in my Gifted & Talented program. I haven't had too much exposure to other game systems, but have played 1st ed. through 3.5. Ok, ok, enough of the hero worship.
As a matter of fact I kived even nearer when we had a place just off County P between Clinton and Beloit. Back in those days the game group that met at my place consisted of Mike Gray, Jim Ward, Luke Gygax, Sonny Savage, Richard and David Kuntz, and Mitch Preston...at various times. As a matter of fact Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, founders of Games Workshop came there and played too, also getting bad cases of poison oak helping me clear those vines from the trees arpound the place. Seems I am pretty well immune to that plant's toxin :lol:

I really enjoyed your interview on the 2nd D&D movie. Your take on the vancian spellcasting got me thinking. I would love to hear how you feel about the Mana Point style of magic that is increasing in popularity. I haven't used it yet, but it sounds a little bit like how Psionics work. Do you still prefer the Vancian system or do you see promise for a Mana Point system?
For the AD&D game I still prefer far and away the "Vancian" system." It makes players with spell-casting characters plan ahead while keeping their PCs from dominating play.

In my newer skill-bundle-based Lejendary Adventure RPG I have "Activation Energy Points." Using the term manna is so anthro-ethnologist 1930s it turns my stomach :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
How's the CZ stuff coming along Gary? My group finished Dark Chateau and the clues leading to the castle are consuming them with desire to storm it and take its secrets by force!

So needless to say I need a little help over here. :)

Hope everything is well and you are feeling wonderful.

Aaron

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
How's the CZ stuff coming along Gary? My group finished Dark Chateau and the clues leading to the castle are consuming them with desire to storm it and take its secrets by force!

So needless to say I need a little help over here. :)

Hope everything is well and you are feeling wonderful.

Aaron
Steve Chenault has my CZ setting level plan and outline with special encounters in hand so as to work up a full schematic of the lot by Monday. The cross connections and secret entrances/exits are many and complex, so he thought a map of the lot essential. I expect it will assist tremendously, and I should have it for review as noted.

When that's done I'll be passing along a level map or two to use as a general template or for a specific level, and generally overseeing and developing the work for each of the many levels.

things are moving along well, but in my estimation it will be in the spring of next year before the completed modules begin rolling off the production line. Before those hit I believe many of the Yggsburgh Town Detail modules should be available in pdf format.

All that is informal, me proposing, the Trolls disposing.

Grudgingly, I'll admit to feeling pretty chipper, doing more work than I want to, even passed on Wednesday's boardgaming session to work on the last piece of CZ "bible" material to get it into Steve's hands yesterday.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Ron

Explorer
Gary,

I was reading the late AD&D releases, such as the Dungeoneer and Wilderness Survival Guides and Manual of Planes and they they did have a different quality from the earlier AD&D releases, especially Manual of Planes. Was you involved with those projects? I believe MoP was released after you left TSR but is it based in your notes or something?

rossik

Explorer
hi mr gygax!

..i didnt notice the 11 part was ended...eheehsorry.

what do u think about giving classes to dragons?

doesnt it seems a little stranger?

a dragon thief??? :\

(im gonna cut and paste the last question of mine, if u dont mind! :p )

"thanks guys!

that helped a lot!

oh, one more thing:
risking to go too far (sorry for that!!), whats the chance of getting an autograph from mr gygax? is the only way getting into gen con kinnda of event?

there is nothing like a fan club here, in brazil... :( "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases