TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh said:
:D

Thanks so very much!

Cheers,
Gary

I remember catching RIGHT after the opening credits, so I didn't know that it was Dexter's Laboratory at first, so I got insanely excited about seeing a "new" cartoon with S&S heroes kicking monster & wizard ass. Then Dexter made his players mad. :p Then he busted out with his uber-character GYGAX!!! Made me want to get a group together at that moment, it did. For a brief second, felt like 1982 again. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Prince of Happiness said:
I remember catching RIGHT after the opening credits, so I didn't know that it was Dexter's Laboratory at first, so I got insanely excited about seeing a "new" cartoon with S&S heroes kicking monster & wizard ass. Then Dexter made his players mad. :p Then he busted out with his uber-character GYGAX!!! Made me want to get a group together at that moment, it did. For a brief second, felt like 1982 again. :D
I had to chuckle heartily at that.

Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
I had to chuckle heartily at that.

Gary

The set up of that initial "adventure" had appealed to my love for "yarns" vs. "Fantasy Epic Vols. I-MCMXLVIV."

Now that got me thinking...did you ever approach your adventure writing to invoke a sense of a "No s***, so there I (or Mordenkainen or Yrag, etc) was" factor vs. a "In the 10th day of the 2,038th year of the fourth cycle of the Sixth Age, four heroes who were the Special Destined Chosen Ones yadda yadda yadda" factor?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
haakon1 said:
Only 'cause AD&D is the best. ;)

True, but the "Jackson" isn't an accident either -- Steve Jackson Games of GURPS fame, I always assumed. But there can be no denying "Garweeze Wurld", or whatever they call it, is Greyhawk, if only from the name.

Garweeze World is nothing like Greyhawk. It was in fact a separate product, cancelled along with Greyhack, sadly.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
there's this cartoon i saw once, i think by Evan Dorkin (the Milk 'n Cheese guy) about a bunch of guys who play D&D and go to a comic book shop - in the episode i saw, one guy challenged another guy to a nerd-trivia contest. ;)

rossik

Explorer
i saw a "thats 70 show" with d&d and..alice cooper :)

just remember the dexter episode.
watched at a magic/rpg/anime event, many years ago :D

It's the episode "D & Dee Dee." You could find it on YouTube.

ive just looked for, but can t find a english version, just spanish..how did u find it?

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Being improperly prepared to run the adventure, whether mentally so or not having studied the packaged material. This is something I am often guilty of, but amny times I manage to make up for the lack through being able to create by the seat of my pants...and sometimes falling flat doing so I resort to distracting the group with war stories and jokes :heh:

I'm fortunate that my group gets distracted by their own stories & jokes readily enough. (^_^) If I need time to think, I just let them go with the occasional nod or laugh to make them think I'm listening instead of scrambling to figure things out. (Not that they're truly fooled...)

But what if I'm not using packaged material? If I'm striving to follow "the Gygaxian school", when do I know that I've adequately prepared?

Quoting from an earlier response about building a world instead of a story...

Col_Pladoh said:
A bit of backstory to ground the players in the setting and give them an idea of what is currently happening is sufficient direction. From there on it must be up to them.

Can you expand on this a little? How detailed should the setting--at a minimum--be? What are the essential elements? Can you give a summary example of a "what is currently happening"?

Col_Pladoh said:
The second most common mistake I have observed is the Gm not being in control of the game play and the group.

I'm not sure I'm following. Can you give an example of what you mean?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
The set up of that initial "adventure" had appealed to my love for "yarns" vs. "Fantasy Epic Vols. I-MCMXLVIV."

Now that got me thinking...did you ever approach your adventure writing to invoke a sense of a "No s***, so there I (or Mordenkainen or Yrag, etc) was" factor vs. a "In the 10th day of the 2,038th year of the fourth cycle of the Sixth Age, four heroes who were the Special Destined Chosen Ones yadda yadda yadda" factor?
Yes, I generally did design adventures on that basis, although not condidering my own PCs as a part of the pocture in mind when the work was in process of creation. That's because I often find "epic fantasy" tedious and dull.

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases