TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII

Here's the next thread in the Q&A session.

I'll take this opportunity to state formally that I will be a GoH at next year's GenCon, number XL :eek:

Peter has also invited Len Lakofka, so Stephen Colbert, take note!

Cheers,
Gary

allencon

First Post
Salutations

Greetings Mr. Gygax!

May this message find you well. I have been an player of Dungeons and Dragons for more than 10 years. Much of what I have observed in the changes through the various editions, materials, and mechanics I have enjoyed and have had many good gamining experiences with others, both as a fellow PC and as a DM. There have also been hick-ups along the way. Certain mechanics could and should be done more thoughtfully, with a closer attention payed toward cross-class equity of powers and abilities, and tools to help players develop a good concept for their character, not what combination of race, skills, spells makes the best number crunching exercise. One concern to me of late has been this tendency to make the DM a robot at the utter mercy of suppliments and dare I say "munchkin-esque" players. Case in point the recent Monster Manual IV insulted not only my expectations of what a monster manual should be, but also my intelligence. Yes as advertized the monsters were "easy" to run, if one enjoyed guessing the hit die type of creatures and hit point break down. They also redundant classed monsters, unmemmorable and made for a generally "underwhelming" experience. This has not been the first instance of this trend. Providing sound mechanics for players to try new options is good. It is what has enabled the game to evolve and thrive. But at times it almost feels like a straight jacket or that as DM's we are being spoon-fed everything. In other words it is as if DM's are no longer encouraged to come up with creative solutions on their own. In some instances when a brave DM peers beyond the margins of text rules, there are the hyper-reactive snapping maws of rules lawyers and other bugbears of free thinking.

My personal taste is that I enjoy the 3E/3.5 mechanic - still it has room for improvement - but I would like to see some sort of return of DM authority, or at least an environment where PCs and DMs can corporately solve problems creatively and imagine fun innovations. Within your enduring gaming experience, have you noticed a similar trend? What do you forsee happening within the current edition that will change this for the better, or not?

rossik

Explorer
thanks for the reply, mr gygax (wow, still cant believe im talking to you!!!!)

i was wondering about two things:

reading the temple of elemental evil, i notice that when u wrote something like " 5 Zombies", you put Hp for all the zombies, and not just a "generic number" for them all. same thing to gems value.

the question is why have this changed over the years? do you think its important to do that little things in antecipation of an adventure ? people are getting lazzy? :p
i like that way, makes some "russian roullet" (dont know if i translated right..ehehhe..sorry) feeling, as u dont know if u are going to take the strong or the weak one .

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
thanks for the reply, mr gygax (wow, still cant believe im talking to you!!!!)
:)

You are doing just that in virtual manner.

i was wondering about two things:

reading the temple of elemental evil, i notice that when u wrote something like " 5 Zombies", you put Hp for all the zombies, and not just a "generic number" for them all. same thing to gems value.

the question is why have this changed over the years? do you think its important to do that little things in antecipation of an adventure ? people are getting lazzy? :p
i like that way, makes some "russian roullet" (dont know if i translated right..ehehhe..sorry) feeling, as u dont know if u are going to take the strong or the weak one .
It is a simple matter, actually: As a designer and as a GM I have grown tired of having weak monsters and lavish treasure where the intent was to have potent monsters and skimpy loot.

I assume that the GM using the published material will alter the fixed numbers given to suit his campaign style and his preferences as well as those of his players.

Be warned, when I do stats for the C&C sytemm's criters, I am prone to using d10 and d12, and having the range between 7 and 10, to 7 and 12, with no lor end possibilities on each HD. that seems logical to me for a normal and robust monster;)

Cheer,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
allencon said:
Greetings Mr. Gygax!

May this message find you well. I have been an player of Dungeons and Dragons for more than 10 years. Much of what I have observed in the changes through the various editions, materials, and mechanics I have enjoyed and have had many good gamining experiences with others, both as a fellow PC and as a DM. There have also been hick-ups along the way. Certain mechanics could and should be done more thoughtfully, with a closer attention payed toward cross-class equity of powers and abilities, and tools to help players develop a good concept for their character, not what combination of race, skills, spells makes the best number crunching exercise. One concern to me of late has been this tendency to make the DM a robot at the utter mercy of suppliments and dare I say "munchkin-esque" players. Case in point the recent Monster Manual IV insulted not only my expectations of what a monster manual should be, but also my intelligence. Yes as advertized the monsters were "easy" to run, if one enjoyed guessing the hit die type of creatures and hit point break down. They also redundant classed monsters, unmemmorable and made for a generally "underwhelming" experience. This has not been the first instance of this trend. Providing sound mechanics for players to try new options is good. It is what has enabled the game to evolve and thrive. But at times it almost feels like a straight jacket or that as DM's we are being spoon-fed everything. In other words it is as if DM's are no longer encouraged to come up with creative solutions on their own. In some instances when a brave DM peers beyond the margins of text rules, there are the hyper-reactive snapping maws of rules lawyers and other bugbears of free thinking.

My personal taste is that I enjoy the 3E/3.5 mechanic - still it has room for improvement - but I would like to see some sort of return of DM authority, or at least an environment where PCs and DMs can corporately solve problems creatively and imagine fun innovations. Within your enduring gaming experience, have you noticed a similar trend? What do you forsee happening within the current edition that will change this for the better, or not?
Thanks for sharing your take on the current D&D system.

Considering what I have heard about the focus of 4E, your desires are likely to go unfulfilled, as I am led to believe support for earlier versions of the game will also be. Of course this is based on spculative essays regarding the matter...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dead said:
Hi Gary,

Will there be a map of your Greyhawk city in the new Saga of Old City release?

Thanks
Heh,

Sadly, no, as a detailed one was never done. I winged it from first a one-page map, then a general four-page version. The vast detailed map that was to be around 4' by 6' when completed was never finished, parts of it languishing somewhere in the basement storage areas here.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
that was turned off for awhile - is it back on yet?
It seems that I am getting notices well today :D

Of course when I initially tried to access the website this AM it was so slow in responding that I went elsewhere until just recently.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases