TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DungeonMaester

First Post
Mycanid said:
Hey Gary - your friendly neighborhood mushroom here....
I would only add that it is possible to keep or lose the spirit of the game in any of the editions, and indeed in any rpg ... it just seems that for many (although by no means all) people this is easier to lose if there is more detail in descriptions of the rules. I have come across this many, many times in here and in meeting with other gamers.

What do you think? Is this your experience too?

Its been my experince in just about every game I played, which is why I tend to lay it on thick when I DM. Only the 'Power gamers' complain though, since players enjoy the detail to the back story I help players achive, which in turn, gives more plot twist to work with making it fun for most. Others are just disturbed about the obbession I put into melding the world to the 'reality' of the game.

Sorry for any typos in adavance.

--Rusty

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
It is usual for me to virtually speak my mind.

The style of play is mainly infuenced by the rules and rewards granted therein to players, as well as the system's direction for the game master.

The most popular style of role-playing is really nothing more not less than seek & destroy.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
this latter view places me at extreme with the Libertarian position, which I view as extremely flawed.

Not to get political, but I think there's a word for a Libertarian who can't abide by the restrictions of the traditional Libertarian party line: a free thinker. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Not to get political, but I think there's a word for a Libertarian who can't abide by the restrictions of the traditional Libertarian party line: a free thinker. ;)
:cool:

Quite so, and well put. I do believe that the majority of RPG devotees will be pretty much that way, thinking for themselves rather than following along party lines or the like. Sometimes it hurts to do that, but one keeps ones principles that way.

Cheers,
Gary

DungeonMaester

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
It is usual for me to virtually speak my mind.

The style of play is mainly infuenced by the rules and rewards granted therein to players, as well as the system's direction for the game master.

The most popular style of role-playing is really nothing more not less than seek & destroy.

Cheers,
Gary

Dear Gary, father of the game:

As opposed to what you said before about D&D not to be ruled? Ive always seen D&D as a world that you (Your character) lives in that is controled by fate/luck/God (the Dm) Well, you are the creater. Though I take some right in D&D be a abstract game, and abstarct means 'Different to all people'

Also, in the Tome of Horrors you wrote: 'This is a thinking man's dungeon. If your party is a hack and slash they wont enjoy it' Or somehting to that line. Is that your personal outlook on D&D?

---Rusty

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Gary, got a question for ya; sorry if it's been asked before. Have you ever allowed evil player characters in your campaign? Did it work well or did it cause a lot of disruption? Were the characters still heroic or were they more of the "anti-hero?" Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DungeonMaester said:
Dear Gary, father of the game:

As opposed to what you said before about D&D not to be ruled? Ive always seen D&D as a world that you (Your character) lives in that is controled by fate/luck/God (the Dm) Well, you are the creater. Though I take some right in D&D be a abstract game, and abstarct means 'Different to all people'

Also, in the Tome of Horrors you wrote: 'This is a thinking man's dungeon. If your party is a hack and slash they wont enjoy it' Or somehting to that line. Is that your personal outlook on D&D?

---Rusty
No opposotion in my statement at all methinks...

Fixation on a single aspect of the RPG form makes for tedious play to my thinking. All combat, all exploration, all yakking, all problem solving, all any single thing is downright dull. Balanced play is about half of the favored aspect, with the others having lesser time in the adventure session--sometimes hardly any, although they should then dominate a near-future session.

That said, virtually all CRPG play is nothing more than seek & destroy missions, or griefing. That is the main fact enabling me to point out that H&S play is the most popular.

No need to concern yourself about typos in my case :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
airwalkrr said:
Gary, got a question for ya; sorry if it's been asked before. Have you ever allowed evil player characters in your campaign? Did it work well or did it cause a lot of disruption? Were the characters still heroic or were they more of the "anti-hero?" Thanks!
But of course. Ernie, Terry, and Rob all eventually played LE PCs at times, some exclusively. As they tended to adventure together or alone, there was never any disruption.

Mordenkainen as a TN character would sometimes accompany one or more of those PCs when another DM was running the session.

Yo be rounded in my playing experience for a brief time I played a NE cleric assassin PC with a group of all evil characters. He died and his body was looted and left, so that ended that.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases