Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 10

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Just out of curiosity, was Dyvers in your world known for its cheeses and pilsners?
    Heh, maybe...

But more so for its general antipathy for folks from Greyhawk.

And thank godness for New Glarus Brewing and their large selection of beer and ale worthy of that name, and not a "lite" in the whole mix!

Hooray,
    Gary

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore Geoffrey
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh

Yuppers. North America and the rest of the globe, in fact. the West coast was a land of dinosaurs and cave men... Greyhawk was about where Chicago is, and Dyvers was located around where Milwaukee is.

Cheers,
    Gary
    While I really like both, I've always enjoyed your Aerth more than your Oerth. It sounds like Aerth is closer to your old home campaign world than is Oerth. How would you characterize your Lejendary Earth in comparison to Aerth and to Oerth?

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    While I really like both, I've always enjoyed your Aerth more than your Oerth. It sounds like Aerth is closer to your old home campaign world than is Oerth. How would you characterize your Lejendary Earth in comparison to Aerth and to Oerth?
    the LE world setting is somewhere between Oerth (an incomplete globe) and Aerth, a fully finished one. Learth is closer to Aerth than Oerth, though. The continents are vaguely similat to earth's own, with antarctica to the immediate southwest of Learth's Australia, and considerable changes to all other land masses. Manygood sized islands are there so as to facilitate commerce.

Cheers,
    Gary

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore robertsconley

Yuppers. North America and the rest of the globe, in fact. the West coast was a land of dinosaurs and cave men... Greyhawk was about where Chicago is, and Dyvers was located around where Milwaukee is.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks for the answer. Have you published this map anywhere or planning too. I understand that you would probably have to change some of the name due their appearance in WOG products. But it would interesting to see one of the original campaign map.

Thanks
    Rob Conley

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsconley
    Thanks for the answer. Have you published this map anywhere or planning too. I understand that you would probably have to change some of the name due their appearance in WOG products. But it would interesting to see one of the original campaign map.

Thanks
    Rob Conley

You ask that of me? He that extemporized most of the time! All I needed for outdoor adventures was my imagination and an atlas to consult in extremis

Cheers,
    Gary

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

° Ignore ColonelHardisson
    My communities:

Somehow I don't believe that was done by the veteran OAD&D audience, for I have received far too many comments panning the Q1 module and it is worth noting that the rating was given for the module combining its predacessors, G 1-3 and D 1-3, not just Q1.

If the Abyss is a maze design on a towel, I am at a loss, completely overwhealmed

Cheers,
    Gary
    Well, I began playing D&D with the blue covered, Dave Sutherland art-adorned book, often called the "Holmes" edition, and quickly moved on to AD&D as the books were released and became available. I recall my group and I getting hold of Q1 when it was originally released, and it was generally well-thought-of. I thought the end encounter with Lolth was disappointing, but that the rest of the Demonweb was really cool. I liked all the various planes and/or planets that the PCs could travel to. So I guess it's a mixed reaction from me - liked the tangents, didn't think much of the climax.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore robertsconley
    Ahhh understand perfectly.

You ask that of me? He that extemporized most of the time! All I needed for outdoor adventures was my imagination and an atlas to consult in extremis

Cheers,
    Gary

I am curious about another thing. What was the deal with the Outdoor Survival Game by AH in the original book. I was reading my copy of the original rules and it occured me that I never picked it and I have no idea what that game was like or what it looked like? For some of the movement rates int he original refered to hexes on the OS map so how big was a OS hex.

Rob Conley

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Well, I began playing D&D with the blue covered, Dave Sutherland art-adorned book, often called the "Holmes" edition, and quickly moved on to AD&D as the books were released and became available. I recall my group and I getting hold of Q1 when it was originally released, and it was generally well-thought-of. I thought the end encounter with Lolth was disappointing, but that the rest of the Demonweb was really cool. I liked all the various planes and/or planets that the PCs could travel to. So I guess it's a mixed reaction from me - liked the tangents, didn't think much of the climax.
    Olay...

What more can I say?

cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsconley
    Ahhh understand perfectly.

I am curious about another thing. What was the deal with the Outdoor Survival Game by AH in the original book. I was reading my copy of the original rules and it occured me that I never picked it and I have no idea what that game was like or what it looked like? For some of the movement rates int he original refered to hexes on the OS map so how big was a OS hex.

Rob Conley
    The OS board made a perfect generic terrain board, the pond areas being either hamlets or castles. With a check for loss of direction and another for encounter, the whole matter was easy and fun for the players adventuring outdoors.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore seskis281
    My communities:

Hey Gary,

Just curious - as you start putting out more LA material through TLG will any of it cover genre adaption of the rules? I ask because as I keep looking at the system I see the basis as perfect for a sci-fi game I have in mind.... I always found "class-based" not the best for futuristic models and I'd really like to use the LA base system for what I want to do.

So would it be better for me to wait or start drawing up my homebrew conversion?

Cheers!

John
    John Maddog Wright

"In the Immortal Words of Socrates.... I Drank What!?"

Squire of the Castles & Crusades Society
    http://www.cncsociety.org/

Dreamer of Ilshara
    Ilshara: Lands of Exile

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast