Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 11

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Treebore
    I seem to remember Gary mentioning several times a sci-fi version of LA.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by seskis281
    Hey Gary,

Just curious - as you start putting out more LA material through TLG will any of it cover genre adaption of the rules? I ask because as I keep looking at the system I see the basis as perfect for a sci-fi game I have in mind.... I always found "class-based" not the best for futuristic models and I'd really like to use the LA base system for what I want to do.

So would it be better for me to wait or start drawing up my homebrew conversion?

Cheers!

John
    I did my best to create the LA game system as one adaptable to many other genres principally through adjustment of Orders, Abilities, and weapons. the Lejendary AsteRogues Fantastical Science genre game is now all but ready for editing, illustration, layout and publication. Only the fourth book, the initial campaign base setting remains in development by Jon Creffield. Meantime, the aspects of what is needed for a hard SF genre game are being looked at.

All that said, feel free to devise such material as you like now to convert the LA FRPG into a set of SF rules.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    I seem to remember Gary mentioning several times a sci-fi version of LA.
    Indeed.

It is just there are so many projects to see to, so little time :\

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I did my best to create the LA game system as one adaptable to many other genres principally through adjustment of Orders, Abilities, and weapons. the Lejendary AsteRogues Fantastical Science genre game is now all but ready for editing, illustration, layout and publication. Only the fourth book, the initial campaign base setting remains in development by Jon Creffield. Meantime, the aspects of what is needed for a hard SF genre game are being looked at.

All that said, feel free to devise such material as you like now to convert the LA FRPG into a set of SF rules.

Cheers,
    Gary
    My thanks! I will certainly look forward to AsroRogues and I'll probably also adapt my own idea - thinking of calling it Star Riders and having it basically set in a portion of the galaxy once explored and settled by an unknown world of origin (could be Earth, could be something else) and grappling with the loss of central government - I will probably be very influenced by Asimov's Foundation books here.

John
    John Maddog Wright

"In the Immortal Words of Socrates.... I Drank What!?"

Squire of the Castles & Crusades Society
    http://www.cncsociety.org/

Dreamer of Ilshara
    Ilshara: Lands of Exile

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by seskis281
    My thanks! I will certainly look forward to AsroRogues and I'll probably also adapt my own idea - thinking of calling it Star Riders and having it basically set in a portion of the galaxy once explored and settled by an unknown world of origin (could be Earth, could be something else) and grappling with the loss of central government - I will probably be very influenced by Asimov's Foundation books here.

John
    Sure, but...

The AsterRogues FSRPG is sort of a mix of antiquated technology with super science only in regards to non-FTL space vessels and making just about any hunk of rock in the solar system a habitable place. The hard SF isn't there, although it will be introduced in the Lejendary Elder Worlds and its companion setting modules that will take the participants through the galaxy.

Cheers,
    Gary

Not a problem - figured the way you described AsterRogues it was less a pure sci-fi concept which is why I'll go ahead and adapt my own separately from it - but I will be sure to also keep a look-out for Elder Worlds down the road as well.

Thanks again!

John
    John Maddog Wright

"In the Immortal Words of Socrates.... I Drank What!?"

Squire of the Castles & Crusades Society
    http://www.cncsociety.org/

Dreamer of Ilshara
    Ilshara: Lands of Exile

Mr. Gygax, I apologize if this has been asked before, but there's too much in the previous posts for me to go through searching for an answer right now.
    Futurama has got to be one of my favorite television shows (pity it didn't last longer) and I was wondering how was it you got an appearance on the show (did they apporach you or vice-versa) and how did it feel to have an appearance on the show? Thanks for your time.
    Paul

Howdy Gary! Just gotta say I'm glad these threads keep on going, they're fantastic! Anyway, I noticed a few posts back there, you mentioned Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson. I'm fans of they're work as well, and I was wondering what they were like and if you ever really worked with them on anything. As far as I know you haven't but you would know better And, I can't wait to see ya at Gen Con! I was meant to go this year, but couldn't due to a wedding, but me and my group are going all out next year. What great news! Thanks Gary!

Ah well,

I had what I consider a much more interesting plan for the conclusion of the G-D series, one in which the PC party could loose the Elder Elemental god or send him into deeper isolation, thus assisting Lolth to become more powerful. By very astute play, they could have thwarted the designs of both evil entities. The Demonweb Pits were indeed envisioned as mze like, but there were to be no machines therein.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Gary, any chance we can convince you to give us a bit more on this? I've endured 26 years of Q1 fitting the G and D series as elegantly as a poodle running with a wolfpack. I realize it's late, but a few words about that shadow wolf never glimpsed would be much appreciated.

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    What more can I say?
    Yeah, I understand what you mean. I was just ruminating.

I guess my reaction to Q1 was much like the assessment of it in that Wikipedia article. The whole nature of the Abyss as portrayed in the end encounter just seemed rather coo-coo, almost light-hearted. Considering the nature of the place, I'd have expected the Abyss to have been more hellish, for lack of a better word. Some of the tangential stuff - Maldev, the plane with the last refuge of good, a dwarven stronghold, about to fall; a world completely overrun by vampires, etc. - seemed a lot more menacing than where the PCs finally beard Lolth in her lair. The end occurring on a mechanical spider that could have the PCs encounter floating smiley faces or flower petals showering out of nowhere just seemed like a strange way to end it. If I ever get a chance to run it again, I'll have to borrow some of your ideas to replace the end gambit.

I have no problem with Queen of the Spiders, the GDQ collection, being ranked at the top of greatest modules. But that's due more to the strength of the Giants and Drow modules, as well as the side treks in Q1, than to Q1 itself. The direction you had intended would have been a cool way to wrap it up.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast