Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 18

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Vague Jayhawk
    I am in my final year as a political science major. When I go to Washington I am going to lobby for the needs of the gaming community. (i.e. gamers at any workplace get an extra hour lunch so that they can get some good gaming in with co-workers, 10% off all munchies and drinks when you show a store your DMG, and gamer only parking spaces in public places (you know, with all the books we have to carry)

But seriously, I don't have anything constructive to contribute to this conversation. I just thought that now would be a great time to thank you for all of the fun I have had gaming.

I started gaming in 5th grade, 1983, old red box days. Many of the best friends I have had in my life were met while playing Dungeons and Dragons. Good times, good friends. Thanks Gary.

*chuckles* Far more useful to lobby for discounts in houses of ill repute so gamers can have a social life.

Priorities, priorities. ^_~`

Pete
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Vague Jayhawk
    I am in my final year as a political science major. When I go to Washington I am going to lobby for the needs of the gaming community. (i.e. gamers at any workplace get an extra hour lunch so that they can get some good gaming in with co-workers, 10% off all munchies and drinks when you show a store your DMG, and gamer only parking spaces in public places (you know, with all the books we have to carry)

But seriously, I don't have anything constructive to contribute to this conversation. I just thought that now would be a great time to thank you for all of the fun I have had gaming.

I started gaming in 5th grade, 1983, old red box days. Many of the best friends I have had in my life were met while playing Dungeons and Dragons. Good times, good friends. Thanks Gary.

That's a great set of lobbying goals

Thank you for bringing some levity to this thread.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Mycanid
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    The RPG as designed by me was meant to be mainly action-adventure, an even mix of roll-playing and role-playing, but never rule-playing

The game changed a little when AD&D was published, a bit more for the worse IMO when 2E was released, and with 3E the original was lost in intent and manner of play.
    Hey Gary - your friendly neighborhood mushroom here....

A very good summary ... I agree with you in much of your analysis and it is refreshing to hear you so forthright about it!

I would only add that it is possible to keep or lose the spirit of the game in any of the editions, and indeed in any rpg ... it just seems that for many (although by no means all) people this is easier to lose if there is more detail in descriptions of the rules. I have come across this many, many times in here and in meeting with other gamers.

What do you think? Is this your experience too?
    This says I am a Neutral Good Elven Monk. Hmm. Must be a monk from C&C....

Yet another convert to Castles and Crusades here ... and a fan of the modules from Goodman Games too.

http://www.sedessubrosa.com/extimages/rosa.jpg A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....

PC Specs
    Spoiler:
    Athlon X2 4600, 1gb dual channel 800mhz ddr RAM, 256mb 7600gs nVidia graphics card, Asus M2NBP-VM MoBo, DVD Burner, DVD Reader, 300gb Sata 2 hard drive, Antec Sonata case, 500gb external hard drive

Laptop: HP tx2-1020US tablet pc, Turion Ultra ZM-82, 4gb 667mhz ddr2 ram, 3200 ATI video card, 320 gb sata hard drive, DVD+RW, 12'1" screen.

MP3 Player: Creative Zen 8gb Flash Player

Palm: Tungsten E2 (16 hours of battery life - can't go wrong), and a wireless external keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Mycanid
    Hey Gary - your friendly neighborhood mushroom here....
    I would only add that it is possible to keep or lose the spirit of the game in any of the editions, and indeed in any rpg ... it just seems that for many (although by no means all) people this is easier to lose if there is more detail in descriptions of the rules. I have come across this many, many times in here and in meeting with other gamers.

What do you think? Is this your experience too?
    Its been my experince in just about every game I played, which is why I tend to lay it on thick when I DM. Only the 'Power gamers' complain though, since players enjoy the detail to the back story I help players achive, which in turn, gives more plot twist to work with making it fun for most. Others are just disturbed about the obbession I put into melding the world to the 'reality' of the game.

Sorry for any typos in adavance.

--Rusty
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...kSoul/Burn.gif

putting the 'romance' into 'necromancer'

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    It is usual for me to virtually speak my mind.

The style of play is mainly infuenced by the rules and rewards granted therein to players, as well as the system's direction for the game master.

The most popular style of role-playing is really nothing more not less than seek & destroy.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Mycanid
    It is usual for me to virtually speak my mind.
    ::GROAN::

TERRible pun sir. Terrible.
    This says I am a Neutral Good Elven Monk. Hmm. Must be a monk from C&C....

Yet another convert to Castles and Crusades here ... and a fan of the modules from Goodman Games too.

http://www.sedessubrosa.com/extimages/rosa.jpg A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....

PC Specs
    Spoiler:
    Athlon X2 4600, 1gb dual channel 800mhz ddr RAM, 256mb 7600gs nVidia graphics card, Asus M2NBP-VM MoBo, DVD Burner, DVD Reader, 300gb Sata 2 hard drive, Antec Sonata case, 500gb external hard drive

Laptop: HP tx2-1020US tablet pc, Turion Ultra ZM-82, 4gb 667mhz ddr2 ram, 3200 ATI video card, 320 gb sata hard drive, DVD+RW, 12'1" screen.

MP3 Player: Creative Zen 8gb Flash Player

Palm: Tungsten E2 (16 hours of battery life - can't go wrong), and a wireless external keyboard

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    this latter view places me at extreme with the Libertarian position, which I view as extremely flawed.
    Not to get political, but I think there's a word for a Libertarian who can't abide by the restrictions of the traditional Libertarian party line: a free thinker.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycanid
    ::GROAN::

TERRible pun sir. Terrible.
    Pun? Me?

Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Not to get political, but I think there's a word for a Libertarian who can't abide by the restrictions of the traditional Libertarian party line: a free thinker.

Quite so, and well put. I do believe that the majority of RPG devotees will be pretty much that way, thinking for themselves rather than following along party lines or the like. Sometimes it hurts to do that, but one keeps ones principles that way.

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast