Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 23

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J. Stormberg
    Howdy Gary,

My favorite con you pulled as a DM has to be Herb's research for Robilar in an effort to reach, Mars was it? I'll let you relate that story.

Futures Bright,

Paul

That was a mean DM's trick also. I'll have to add that to the collection of tales of D&Ding, most of which appeared in Dragon Magazine, that I plan to gather and have published in book form one of these years

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler

Gary, how did the idea for the Temple of Elemental Evil come out? It feels like a living, breathing world to a greater extent than Keep on the Borderlands. I suppose that's because the Keep was it's own internal environment, while the area around the Temple has a more diverse atmosphere due to the competing factions and interests. So far we've enjoyed it more, and the DM has also, especially because we're not the kind of party to stick with the storyline. We made the Moat House into a base, attacked some of the more actively evil people inside Nulb (town hates us now), tried to recruit our own spies among the people of Nulb, changed the pirates' ship into a floating thieves guild, and started a small chapel for Pelor while spreading the faith. And despite all this, the DM has done a decent job of taking the information provided and just running with it, which makes this, in my opinion, a well-designed module.
    When the WoG was completed, I decided to start a new campaign based on Oerth rather than continue using my generally undetailed paralleel earth setting. Thus I created the VoH, ToEE, Nulb and Stoink for nearby town adventures. As I had the whole envisioned from the start, there was a good deal of continuity in the end products. the Temple was meant to be the dungeon crawl base replacing Castle Greyhawk, and more levels would have been added, but...

When Robilar freed Zuggtmoy, I pretty well scrapped the idea of using it for ongoing adventures for my group, vowing to get back to finishing it eventually. As I was not able to do much DMing thereafter, that never happened, so Frank browbeat me into having him complete the unfinished ms. for the ToEE. Of course, that did not have the added levels, but it was complete and in order.

Frank followed my initial material, understands that I write with mainly critical detaius only so as to encourage the DM to make the work his own.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy SpiralBound

Clearly you are most serious about this matter, and I relate to what you are saying

If I were to write a rule regarding rules, I believe I would do it in this general way:

While this work contains clear, concise, and complete rules for the game, they are not graven in stone. Each Dungeon Master is unique, as if the player group. Together they develop a special world of their own, the campaign setting. As this environment is created by the group, the rules that govern it must suit their needs. In short, the DM has carte blanch to alter the game rules, doing so with the advice and concent of the players if a wise game master.

FWIW,
    Gary

Ignore SpiralBound
    Thanks Gary,

That's well spoken and certainly echoes my feelings on the matter. I guess I am serious about it. I'm lucky in that the people I play with are older and more experienced, but I often hear of conversations with younger players that typify my above points. I think that the worst part of it all is that these players are being robbed of what I feel could be a fuller, more enjoyable roleplaying experience. To these players, D & D is more akin to playing a boardgame minus the board. Still, I guess if they're still having fun... I just think that they could be getting more out of it than they are.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    My communities:

Gary,

Have you seen the EPIC RPG that came out last December? I think it complements well with your LA since they are also skills bassed. I also like how they made Guilds that you belong to the determining factor in what your "class" is. Anyways, as I read through their basic rule book I couldn't help but think how well ti would complement your LA material. To the point it is making me consider trying out a LA/EpicRPG blend as a possible replacement to C&C.

Skills based isn't as "simple" as C&C, but I can give up some simplicity if it gives me a rich world texture as trade.

EPIC RPG
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    When the WoG was completed, I decided to start a new campaign based on Oerth rather than continue using my generally undetailed paralleel earth setting. Thus I created the VoH, ToEE, Nulb and Stoink for nearby town adventures. As I had the whole envisioned from the start, there was a good deal of continuity in the end products. the Temple was meant to be the dungeon crawl base replacing Castle Greyhawk, and more levels would have been added, but...

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks, Gary. We haven't gotten into the Temple yet. We've been too busy picking on those Nulb criminals.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    My communities:

I am about to start a new campaign based on Castle Greyhawk, but I will be play-testing my new 1e/3e hybrid system with ToEE, or at least with T1. (I am going through and doing conversion now. Interestingly, besides the fact that you have to add feats and skills, 1e and 3e are surprisingly more compatible than 2e and 3e.) ToEE has always been my favorite D&D adventure so I cannot wait to run a group of fresh meat through it.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiralBound
    Thanks Gary,

That's well spoken and certainly echoes my feelings on the matter. I guess I am serious about it. I'm lucky in that the people I play with are older and more experienced, but I often hear of conversations with younger players that typify my above points. I think that the worst part of it all is that these players are being robbed of what I feel could be a fuller, more enjoyable roleplaying experience. To these players, D & D is more akin to playing a boardgame minus the board. Still, I guess if they're still having fun... I just think that they could be getting more out of it than they are.
    What you say has much merit in my view.

It seems to me that such manner of play constricts the free reign of imagination, discourages creative problem solving, and stifles innovation. who says that the person pr persons that wrote a particular set of rules are so infallible that they overlooked nothing, made no errors? As a game designer of some experience, I certainly make no such claim.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    Gary,

Have you seen the EPIC RPG that came out last December? I think it complements well with your LA since they are also skills bassed. I also like how they made Guilds that you belong to the determining factor in what your "class" is. Anyways, as I read through their basic rule book I couldn't help but think how well ti would complement your LA material. To the point it is making me consider trying out a LA/EpicRPG blend as a possible replacement to C&C.

Skills based isn't as "simple" as C&C, but I can give up some simplicity if it gives me a rich world texture as trade.

EPIC RPG
    Hi Treebore,

No, with all that I have to do there's precious little time to read/learn new RPGs. About the best I can do is play a new one if soeone here is up for GMing it. As for SEC, I most certainly concur with the designer(s) of the EPIC PRG. One's profession or vocation are the best means of setting the sec level, with knightly types, clerics, and possibly mages the only ones un the lower upper tier.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    Thanks, Gary. We haven't gotten into the Temple yet. We've been too busy picking on those Nulb criminals.
    Sounds familiar.

My group spent a lot of time with adventures in Nulb and Stoink. That's another reason why I didn'd add more dungeon levels to the Temple...no need, as dungeon crawling was not paramount

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 23 of 91 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373 ... LastLast